We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~

Go down 
+15
oldschool
Admin
Treesmurf
shanks
The Cappuccino Kid
Jimbob
Vidofnir
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
masofdas
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
Athrun888
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyThu 19 Mar 2015 - 12:36

Good little up date on rezzed Mr Bob also glad to here good things about beyond eyes.

Just a random thought about indie games, a few years ago and even now a lot seem to be in the 8 or 16 bit style but now with things like Project Ukulele popping up along with a few others that seem t be channelling the N64 & PS1.

Is this what people now want also if this gen is N64 indie games does that mean the 9th gen will be gamecube style indie games.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyThu 19 Mar 2015 - 13:05

The beautiful thing about being independent is you can do whatever the fuck you want.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyThu 19 Mar 2015 - 13:21

I know that but it seems to be in vogue at the moment to do N64 & PS1 era type stuff.

I guess it also depends on what you grew up on even though I had a Mega Drive but really my earliest sort of proper gaming time was with the PS1 and I guess if a dev is my sort of age they might look back fondly to that era for inspiration.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyThu 19 Mar 2015 - 19:16

I wouldn't mind an indie game that was in the style of SM64. That said, my thoughts on self-consciously retro art styles are well known, and (in Jay's case) not terribly popular.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyThu 19 Mar 2015 - 19:38

As time marches on, more and more of gaming's past becomes nostalgic. The N64/PS1 era seems to be the object of that focus, or will become so soon. I'm happy with that. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyThu 19 Mar 2015 - 22:36

The_Jaster wrote:
The beautiful thing about being independent is you can do whatever the fuck you want.

Tag line? I think that sums the forum up as well as it does indy games.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyThu 19 Mar 2015 - 22:44

Consider it added to the list! Grin
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptySun 22 Mar 2015 - 13:08

Saving the VC thread from this conversation:

JayMoyles wrote:
It's a weird one - from what I've seen of Journey, it isn't a particularly good "game", but it seems to hold up as a truly unique experience in videogaming. Metroid Prime is certainly the better videogame.

Fun fact: as seen here, Metroid Prime inspired a blog called "The Citizen Kane of Videogames", dedicated to finding example of  games journos referring to games as the Citizen Kane of videogaming.

I don't get the whole division of games into "games" and "experiences".  If you play it, and it's good, it's a good game, surely?

I'm not denying that MP is probably the better game, though - MP is an absolute blinder, and it'd be hard for anything lasting only a few hours to top it.  What's more, I think it combines both "game" and "experience" masterfully: the "game" is the exploration and boss fights and upgrading Samus, while the "experience" is the inherently lonely and forbidding atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptySun 22 Mar 2015 - 13:23

Balladeer wrote:

I don't get the whole division of games into "games" and "experiences".  If you play it, and it's good, it's a good game, surely?

I'm not denying that MP is probably the better game, though - MP is an absolute blinder, and it'd be hard for anything lasting only a few hours to top it.  What's more, I think it combines both "game" and "experience" masterfully: the "game" is the exploration and boss fights and upgrading Samus, while the "experience" is the inherently lonely and forbidding atmosphere.

Well, not exactly. Games like Gone Home or the Stanley Parable barely qualify as games - some could argue they're walking simulators - but instead use the medium of videogames to create an experience. They aren't games in the conventional sense. That's why I made the distinction between the two.

Oh, and I absolutely agree with your Metroid Prime evaluation. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptySun 22 Mar 2015 - 15:47

I think the problem is just that "games" is just a really crap word for videogames. It implies losers and victors, rules and points and scores and only now are developers ceasing to use that as a crutch and realising how much more games can be.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptySun 22 Mar 2015 - 15:48

For me it's just short for "videogames", and encompasses everything.  That includes things like Dear Esther.

Maybe at some point soon we'll call them IE, for interactive entertainment? But until we have a good shortening, they're all "games" to me!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptySun 22 Mar 2015 - 15:52

I know. That's what I'm saying. Games are called games and I know what that means, but it is a silly word and implies certain things.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptySun 22 Mar 2015 - 16:00

Balladeer wrote:
For me it's just short for "videogames", and encompasses everything.  That includes things like Dear Esther.

Maybe at some point soon we'll call them IE, for interactive entertainment?  But until we have a good shortening, they're all "games" to me!

They're still "games" to me too, but I don't think games like Dear Esther are very good "games" in the conventional sense. But as Drunka rightly points out, the definition of what it means to be a videogame is changing.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptySun 22 Mar 2015 - 19:50

The IE is a good term and like Drunka pointed out about the Telltale games and there QTE's that there adding them to make the game feel more like a game then let's say interactive entertainment.

I guess it's what you want out of a so called game, I personally mainly want story driven experiences but doesn't I still don't mind just a pure fun game like Mario Kart 8.

But if we talk about Journey reason I said about it being one of the games of the decade is what like some of the games Jay brought have done for the medium that stuff can be more then just shooting things or a high-score they can have meaning.

Gaming is still a very young medium that will only grow in time.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptySun 22 Mar 2015 - 20:14

(not so) Random thought: C'mon! Nintendo give us an action game for Captain Falcon and you could get Platinum games to help. Falcon Punch Falcon Punch Falcon Punch Falcon Punch
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptySun 22 Mar 2015 - 21:05

I'd love something akin to the Fast and the Furious; an action game with the races worked into the plot.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptySun 22 Mar 2015 - 22:37

A spectacle fighter like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry but with ace racing bits dotted about the game - instant buys. Falcon Punch
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyMon 23 Mar 2015 - 14:21

JayMoyles wrote:
A spectacle fighter like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry but with ace racing bits dotted about the game - instant buys. Falcon Punch

Exactly this! Falcon Punch

The F-Zero games have quite a few interesting characters which would be nice to see in the spotlight/fleshed out a bit more.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyMon 23 Mar 2015 - 14:58

Boss fights with Samurai Goroh and the gang... yep, wanting this game now!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyMon 23 Mar 2015 - 20:02

The_Jaster wrote:
The F-Zero games have quite a few interesting characters which would be nice to see in the spotlight/fleshed out a bit more.

Yup, I'd actually like to play as some of the other F-Zero racers! Perhaps a bonus level as Black Shadow, or as Beastman chasing after Bio Rex. Maaaaaaybe not Gomar and Shioh, mind.

It's a blinder of an idea, although if GX's story mode is anything to go by, it'll likely be too hard for me. Sad
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyMon 23 Mar 2015 - 22:50

Perhaps James McCloud can make an appearance with some spaceship levels, rolling about in the sky and using the boost to get through.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyTue 24 Mar 2015 - 11:44

A while back Drunka brought up about famous game directors, producers, developers etc

And we brought one's like Kojima that we really like well I would like to add Hajime Tabata to that list, he's not done main games and not all have even come out here and not all I've played like 3rd Birthday on PSP but the one's I have Crisis Core which is still my favourite final fantasy, one's I'm playing Type-O and one's I will FFXV have been excellent so far.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyTue 24 Mar 2015 - 14:33

Balladeer wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:

Yup, I'd actually like to play as some of the other F-Zero racers!  Perhaps a bonus level as Black Shadow, or as Beastman chasing after Bio Rex.  Maaaaaaybe not Gomar and Shioh, mind.

It's a blinder of an idea, although if GX's story mode is anything to go by, it'll likely be too hard for me. Sad

JayMoyles wrote:
Perhaps James McCloud can make an appearance with some spaceship levels, rolling about in the sky and using the boost to get through.

I've been looking at a list of F-zero characters as I'm not completely familiar with them all and they are very comic book hero/villain-esque, which is brilliant!

I love the simplicity of The Skull

Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 F-zero_wp_m16_skull_800

The description for him on wikipedia is good as well.

"Former pilot of the old days of F-Zero who was resurrected from the dead by science and black magic to race again"
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyTue 24 Mar 2015 - 14:54

The Skull's voice acting is AMAZING.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 EmptyTue 24 Mar 2015 - 15:37

"I see. Thank you for the interview."

"That's it, everyone!"

Laughing

but aye that's a great voice for the skull.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~   Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~ - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Random Gaming Thoughts II ~News Items Beware~
Page 10 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next