We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Accidental Hard Mode

Go down 
+8
fronkhead
The_Jaster
Dead Lemon
Buskalilly
ZeroJones
oldschool
JayMoyles
Crumpy Andy
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

Accidental Hard Mode Empty
PostSubject: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptyThu 26 Mar 2015 - 9:20

What is this madness, I've actually thought of a thread idea?

This morning I was on the train playing Streetpass Mansion and I discovered that I could rotate the room pieces. It turns out for the past 20 or so floors I've been making the game much harder for myself. Has anyone else had anything like this, or am I just a moron?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptyThu 26 Mar 2015 - 9:54

That's superb Andy. Laughing

Will need to have a think, but the first thing that comes to my mind is going the wrong way for the first half hour of Dark Souls into the graveyard. I genuinely believed it was that ludicrously difficult - I mean, it's still difficult, but not to the point where you're dealing 10 damage on enemies with hundreds of hitpoints.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptyThu 26 Mar 2015 - 10:42

andyman949 wrote:
This morning I was on the train playing Streetpass Mansion and I discovered that I could rotate the room pieces. It turns out for the past 20 or so floors I've been making the game much harder for myself. Has anyone else had anything like this, or am I just a moron?

You can? Holy crap, I am in my 4th time through and I didn't know that - that is 190+ floors and I didn't know that. I feel like a right idiot. :homer:
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptyThu 26 Mar 2015 - 10:54

I had no idea you could buy energy-replenishing potions in Shovel Knight until I'd finished it. Embarrassed In my youth I didn't realise the purpose of the P-Wing in Super Mario Bros. 3 for months, either (but I finished the game after finding what they were for - some of World 8 is far too hard otherwise!).
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptyThu 26 Mar 2015 - 12:12

Mine is also a Dark Souls one, though slightly less extreme than Jay's: I rang the bells the other way around from almost everyone else in the world, meaning I fought through some of the hardest sections under levelled and untrained.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Dead Lemon
FMK Tagline
Dead Lemon

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptyThu 26 Mar 2015 - 17:08

JayMoyles wrote:
That's superb Andy. Laughing

Will need to have a think, but the first thing that comes to my mind is going the wrong way for the first half hour of Dark Souls into the graveyard. I genuinely believed it was that ludicrously difficult - I mean, it's still difficult, but not to the point where you're dealing 10 damage on enemies with hundreds of hitpoints.
This. Still haven't actually returned to the game since I found out I was doing it wrong.

So many times I'll play through a game and never realise that stats/weapons can be upgraded. Recent example would be Last of Us. Realised you could upgrade weapons early on but was about midway through before I realised other player stats could be upgraded - stuff like health bar and the super hearing thing.

Do that kind of stuff all the time in games, if it doesn't upgrade automatically I'm bound to miss it.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptyFri 27 Mar 2015 - 2:36

I think I've picked the hardest (read as: weakest) starting weapon in Bloodborne. Sulk
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptyFri 27 Mar 2015 - 10:01

Apparently they're all pretty good, so I wouldn't worry too much!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptyFri 27 Mar 2015 - 17:41

Just thought of the most insane one I ever did. I played through the entirety of Portal on a laptop with a keyboard and trackpad.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptyFri 27 Mar 2015 - 18:18

Jesus. Shocked

The first half of the game is alright, considering you don't need to co-ordinate a lot of movements, but I have no idea how you managed the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptyFri 27 Mar 2015 - 18:24

JayMoyles wrote:
Apparently they're all pretty good, so I wouldn't worry too much!

Aye I think I was being a bit silly there looking back, it is the weakest in attack power of the starting weapons though but since I've levelled it and myself up a bit it's a lot better.

I do love the combos for it and it makes me feel like I'm playing a great 3d Castlevania game. Smile
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptyFri 27 Mar 2015 - 18:31

Ah, the cane whip! Looks great, that. Grin

I had a think about my accidental hard mode experiences, and I can think of a few:

1) Picking Engineer for my first Mass Effect playthrough. As a beginner to the series, bad move - light armour, pistols only, pretty crappy skill tree... big mistake! The biotic classes were much more fun, and easier to play too.

2) Quite a recent one - forgetting about the spin attack in Link's Awakening for half of the game. It's ridiculously powerful, and it would have made the early game a lot simpler.

3) Relying on Sothe so heavily in the first part of Radiant Dawn, meaning I was left a stupidly underlevelled Dawn Brigade for most of the game. Oops.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptySat 28 Mar 2015 - 1:52

JayMoyles wrote:

The first half of the game is alright, considering you don't need to co-ordinate a lot of movements, but I have no idea how you managed the whole thing.
I know, right? I was doing ludicrous finger gymnastics by the end.

Last edited by Drunkalilly on Sat 28 Mar 2015 - 9:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptySat 28 Mar 2015 - 7:52

Glad it's not just me OS!

I'm with you there Jay on the Fire Emblem front. I found it so easy to destroy everyone with Titania that I had a very under-leveled bunch of Mercs Embarrassed

Another occurrence of this from me recently would be Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires. I didn't realise I could change weapons so was still trying to kill everyone with a level one weapon whilst they had ridiculously huge health bars. Even the little dudes who normally die in one hit became a challenge...
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptySat 28 Mar 2015 - 16:57

Great topic, this, similar things have happened to me in the past, and there's nothing better than breathing that sigh of relief when you realise you were doing it wrong. Transforms the game!

More recently, I was trying to play Castlevania: Circle of the Moon without a map, making a mental map as I went along. Didn't think about using the select button for some reason...

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptySun 29 Mar 2015 - 9:28

Dead Lemon wrote:
So many times I'll play through a game and never realise that stats/weapons can be upgraded. Recent example would be Last of Us. Realised you could upgrade weapons early on but was about midway through before I realised other player stats could be upgraded - stuff like health bar and the super hearing thing.

Do that kind of stuff all the time in games, if it doesn't upgrade automatically I'm bound to miss it.

Yes, I'll do this. Especially when the functionality is hidden in dozens of menus, and doesn't generally add much. Never used the crystal-crafting nonsense in Xenoblade. Never.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptySun 29 Mar 2015 - 10:20

This is why we need paper manuals, people! I've never accessed the built-in versions of any 3DS/WiiU ones.

Mine's also Soulsy. I went
Bastille, Black Gulch, Tseldora, Iron Keep:
and still have nightmares about the Gutter.

Majora's Mask - I didn't realise that you could just talk to the bomb shop Goron to get a Powder Keg after the first time. So, every time I wanted to go to the ranch, I took on Goht again and again.

Not hard, but "Accidental realistic mode" - in Oblivion, I forgot about the Wait button. So, when I had to meet someone at 6PM, and it was 8AM, I hung around for virtual hours.

Wow, I suck
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptySun 29 Mar 2015 - 10:27

...Spoiler fail?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptySun 29 Mar 2015 - 10:43

Balladeer wrote:
...Spoiler fail?

Jimbob wrote:
Wow, I suck
Wow, I suck

(not even gonna edit that - that's staying there now, as a lesson to future generations)
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptySun 29 Mar 2015 - 11:46

Had a think and I really can't think of anything in till now as I'm playing Final Fantasy Type-0 HD in which you can control 1 of 14 (depending on where you are in the game) characters and have can 3 of those active at a time & when dies you can replace with one of the others.

Well up in till about Chapter 4 or 12hrs, I've mainly been using the one character to do missions & unlock trophies which are rather easy which I was surprised about as I thought they would be rather hard in a FF.

Anyway now on Chapter 6 the enemies are about level 30 with the avg of all 14 being about lvl20 and the character I used most of the time I can't use because of story reasons.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptySun 29 Mar 2015 - 16:23

Jimbob wrote:

Not hard, but "Accidental realistic mode" - in Oblivion, I forgot about the Wait button. So, when I had to meet someone at 6PM, and it was 8AM, I hung around for virtual hours.

You were just roleplaying to the extreme, natch.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptySun 21 Jun 2015 - 8:23

Only realised you could upgrade your kit in Splatoon's single-player campaign just before the final boss. That might have alleviated some of the frustration. Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptySun 21 Jun 2015 - 21:46

ZeroJones wrote:
Only realised you could upgrade your kit in Splatoon's single-player campaign just before the final boss. That might have alleviated some of the frustration. Embarrassed

I was the same, but it didn't really bother me. I think the final boss was the only level I ever died on anyway.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptySun 21 Jun 2015 - 22:10

Drunkalilly wrote:
ZeroJones wrote:

I was the same, but it didn't really bother me. I think the final boss was the only level I ever died on anyway.

Wow! I must have had about five game over's by the time I got to the final boss. You've clearly never nudged yourself over the end of a platform into the inky depths, seven times in a row. Evil or Very Mad / Sad
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode EmptySun 21 Jun 2015 - 22:16

ZeroJones wrote:

Wow! I must have had about five game over's by the time I got to the final boss. You've clearly never nudged yourself over the end of a platform into the inky depths, seven times in a row. Evil or Very Mad / Sad

Even in the boss fight, that is what was killing me for the most part. One or two of his attacks either knocked me back or I jumped off trying to dodge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Hard Mode   Accidental Hard Mode Empty

Back to top Go down

Accidental Hard Mode
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next