We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.

Go down 
+13
OrangeRakoon
oldschool
Jimbob
masofdas
shanks
ZeroJones
Buskalilly
Crumpy Andy
The Cappuccino Kid
Athrun888
The_Jaster
Balladeer
JayMoyles
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Jun 2015 - 21:18

What you all said. Where's the Metroid? Where's the Metroid?
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Jun 2015 - 21:31

ZeroJones wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:
(side note: Codename STEAM is great!)

Seconded!

The People: We want a new Nintendo IP!
Nintendo: Code Name S.T.E.A.M.?
The People: Not that one!

No

Laughing Sad but oh so true.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyWed 17 Jun 2015 - 22:29

We had STEAM and Splatoon last E3. Anybody who still says that Nintendo doesn't do new IPs deserves a punch up the hooter.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyThu 18 Jun 2015 - 15:36

Since watching the 4 player co-op demo on the treehouse stream I'm much more interested in this game, however the art design (the "main characters" especially) is just so dull for the Metroid universe.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyThu 18 Jun 2015 - 15:41

Agreed.  I don't like the concept either.  If they'd done a Metroid-esque game without Samus I wouldn't be complaining.

Ironic that Nintendo has turned to the Space Marines Shootybang Online Multiplayer genre.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 3:33

I didn't watch the E3 presentation and I see so much vitriol about this game. I will probably be blunt here and offend, but so be it. Stop acting like babies (not specifically you, but the wider gamer society) about it or anything else they make. Buy the game or don't buy the game, and if you buy the game, then find you liked or didn't like it, say why constructively. Nintendo aren't your friends, they aren't making games just for you, stop acting as if everything is personal. It will probably review average, about 65-75 on Metacritic, but so what? Nintendo should experiment with other games in a series outside the main ones, including Other M and Hunters. Other companies do and sometimes you get a real gem, like the Tactics series of Final Fantasy. It won't stop them making a new main series game and I am sure they will when they think they have the concept right first.

I looked at the trailer and read a couple of interviews on it and concluded it probably has little appeal to me. I will still probably get it later and cheap, and likely get some fun out of it. But I don't criticise Nintendo for making something I don't care too much about.
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 9:33

Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 216

I'm almost considering doing a Gintendo piece on when to do and when not to do a spin-off of a series, but I imagine that it might boil down to "If there hasn't been a good main game in the series in four years, do a main game first, otherwise people will just be disappointed."

I'm not vitriolic, but I am disappointed, and here's why: I reckon that this means no proper Metroid game for another couple of years at least. And I really wanted both a 3DS and Wii U Metroid. If it hadn't had the series name attached, it'd just have been another dull co-op. shooter and I'd not have given two 🐒 -s.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 10:48

Perhaps you are not considering the possibility that they don't believe they have the right concept yet for a new main series game? They are [robably working through on a story with storyboards as we speak, but aren't near ready for proper development. You might be the first to complain if they rushed something out that just didn't do it for you, or most fans? I am sure they have good reasons why they haven't done one yet, but why do we need to be privy to that? Why do we need to second guess every choice they make and set ourselves up as armchair experts?

Perhaps I need to do an article on why we shouldn't be so quick to criticise? Not really.

I would have been happy based on the N3DS power if they made proper ports of the Metroid Trilogy for said handheld. That might have filled the gap nicely considering how many of us were more than happy to jump on Xenoblade N3DS so readily.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 11:19

Yeah. What O S said.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan Online
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 11:36

OS, what I'm getting from this is, "Don't give your negative personal opinion on stuff."  Sorry, that's what a forum is for.  I'm not telling Nintendo what to do (as if they'd listen), I'm giving my opinion on what I've seen.  My somewhat uninformed (given that I don't work for them, nor do any of us), but not unreasonable, opinion.  I would rather they'd spent the time coming up with this, coming up with an idea for a new Metroid game.  And, especially as a fan of Nintendo and Metroid in general, I'm going to say as much.

So if you've got a piece to say why we shouldn't do that, by all means, post it up.

Last edited by Balladeer on Fri 19 Jun 2015 - 12:22; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 11:53

I really wish I could find it but there is a piece floating about out there which was an interview with the developer of Metroid and that he does want to do a new one that would include one of the hunters from Prime Hunters
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 11:55

Wasn't there something about Sylux cropping up, after his appearance in MP3C?  I'd quite like to see that.  Wouldn't mind seeing more of Trace too - the Krikens were a brilliantly creepy race.

EDIT: Could this be what you're referring to, Shanks?
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 12:26

Yeah that's the one. And yeah I would like to see that as well
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 13:06

Balladeer wrote:
OS, what I'm getting from this is, "Don't give your negative personal opinion on stuff."  Sorry, that's what a forum is for.  I'm not telling Nintendo what to do (as if they'd listen), I'm giving my opinion on what I've seen.  My somewhat uninformed (given that I don't work for them, nor do any of us), but not unreasonable, opinion.  I would rather they'd spent the time coming up with this, coming up with an idea for a new Metroid game.  And, especially as a fan of Nintendo and Metroid in general, I'm going to say as much.

So if you've got a piece to say why we shouldn't do that, by all means, post it up.

Of course you are entitled to your view Balla, negative or positive or anywhere in between, because as you say, this is a forum where people share their views.  On that very point, that is exactly what I am doing as well, because as you say, this a forum.  I didn't say you weren't entitled to state your view, I merely disagreed with it and stated mine.  The difference really is that you seem to be stating that Nintendo should never have made this game or at least not as a Metroid brand, and that I don't see why you or anyone cares.  I do think you are at least bordering on being unreasonable about it and I am as much a fan of both Metroid (have them all) and Nintendo as you, but that is just a personal view and I certainly won't lose any sleep over it, as nor will you.

If it was that Nintendo wasn't making a new main Metroid game because of the production of this one, you would likely have a point, but it seems there is a conflation in play.  This game and a main series game are not mutually exclusive and I imagine the team (Next Level?) making this aren't the same team who made Prime (Retro?), so it hardly has any impact on a main series entry, not jus because of the team, but also the money, this likely costing little.  You say that this game probably means no main game for the next two years, yet there probably wasn't going to be one anyway.  The very fact that someone made a petition to have this game cancelled is bad enough, but the fact that over 12,000 gamers have signed it is insane.  This isn't as bad as the nuts who went after Platinum over Bayonetta, but it sure is similar.

To reiterate Balla, I am NOT telling you, or anyone, that you aren't entitled to your view, but if you state a view, you have to expect contrary views and be prepared to discuss them  ..... or not.

Last edited by oldschool on Fri 19 Jun 2015 - 13:12; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 13:11

Ehhhhh...  Now that I've had a bit more of a think, I can sorta see what OS is getting at.  Doesn't mean that I don't understand those of other Metroid fans, or that they're/we're not entitled to my negative opinions.  But it's not a game aimed at me, and given that (and the pedigree behind it), it may well still be quite good.  I still don't think it's going to sell, having committed (foreseeable) PR suicide, and being a genre that many 3DS owners couldn't give two tosses about.  But that's a different issue.

And honestly I might have come to that conclusion a bit more readily, but for the tone of your message.  There's nothing wrong with being a bit outspoken, but you've got to know your audience.  I don't think most of us, your online friends (I hope!), will react well to being told we're acting like babies.  It may well be the only way to get through to morons on the Internet, but it's more likely to alienate people you get on well with than convince them.

If you wanted to get through most effectively to people on here, I reckon you should have got to the bit where you said, "I will probably be blunt here and offend", thought, "Oh no, shit, I like these people and they like me", and had a rethink.  (And since I started this message, you've posted another one.  Yeah, you're definitely allowed to criticise my opinion, so long as it's civil!)

But I do see some of your point, even though I feel that you misjudged your tone.  So I'll say that this game mucked up its own PR big time, may still be quite good but isn't for me, and quietly step out of the discussion.

EDIT: And of course there are people who have been bigger twats about it than on here, and of course they're morons.  This is the Internet! Sad
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 13:34

Balladeer wrote:
Ehhhhh...  Now that I've had a bit more of a think, I can sorta see what OS is getting at.  Doesn't mean that I don't understand those of other Metroid fans, or that they're/we're not entitled to my negative opinions.  But it's not a game aimed at me, and given that (and the pedigree behind it), it may well still be quite good.  I still don't think it's going to sell, having committed (foreseeable) PR suicide, and being a genre that many 3DS owners couldn't give two tosses about.  But that's a different issue.

And honestly I might have come to that conclusion a bit more readily, but for the tone of your message.  There's nothing wrong with being a bit outspoken, but you've got to know your audience.  I don't think most of us, your online friends (I hope!), will react well to being told we're acting like babies.  It may well be the only way to get through to morons on the Internet, but it's more likely to alienate people you get on well with than convince them.

If you wanted to get through most effectively to people on here, I reckon you should have got to the bit where you said, "I will probably be blunt here and offend", thought, "Oh no, shit, I like these people and they like me", and had a rethink.  (And since I started this message, you've posted another one.  Yeah, you're definitely allowed to criticise my opinion, so long as it's civil!)

But I do see some of your point, even though I feel that you misjudged your tone.  So I'll say that this game mucked up its own PR big time, may still be quite good but isn't for me, and quietly step out of the discussion.

EDIT: And of course there are people who have been bigger twats about it than on here, and of course they're morons.  This is the Internet! Sad

Sorry Balla, I think you took it more personally than was intended.  I just saw more of the negative-fest going on about this and gave my view, as blunt as it was.  It did however have a conditional statement, say it was not specific to here, but to the wider gaming community.  However, as a person with Aspergers, I am the first to admit my tone sometimes can be stronger than others think it needs to be.  I feel too often we invest too much of our energies into the things we don't like and that is a bad habit to get into.  So apologies if you were offended.

Last edited by oldschool on Fri 19 Jun 2015 - 13:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 13:39

Cheers boss, appreciated. Thumbs Up! Promise not to slag this game off any more, anyway (although we do have a quite good negative tagline about it in the pipeline that I still want to use): I definitely agree with your penultimate sentence!

Last edited by Balladeer on Fri 19 Jun 2015 - 15:29; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 15:12

I think creating a petition asking for the cancellation of the game is too far (and will have literally no effect on what Nintendo does with the game), but I don't think you can chastise those who were disappointed that this wasn't a "proper" Metroid. Considering the drought of Metroid in recent years - and that's even longer if you consider the drought of a good Metroid game - then to have this revealed at E3 in lieu of a full-blown Samus-centric Metroid adventure is a bit of kick in the teeth. Add on to this the muddied way they revealed it (some people thought it was just Metroid: Blastball) and you've disappointed a sizeable chunk of your fanbase. I think this response is warranted, personally.

For what it's worth though, the game looks fine from what I've seen. It's not something I'm likely to pick up, but it looks like an alright game - probably a 65/70 rating. As Balla said earlier though, the damage is likely done from a PR standpoint.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 16:26

Balla wrote:
I reckon that this means no proper Metroid game for another couple of years at least.

Probably more like another 4 years. Sad

---

I thought this was a good interview with Mr Tanabe as it wasn't afraid to ask the hard questions.

I also swear I thought Mr Tanabe said something about wanting to make a game closer to Metroid Prime 2 echoes but I can't seem find it. Eh?
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 16:26

JayMoyles wrote:
I think creating a petition asking for the cancellation of the game is too far (and will have literally no effect on what Nintendo does with the game), but I don't think you can chastise those who were disappointed that this wasn't a "proper" Metroid. Considering the drought of Metroid in recent years - and that's even longer if you consider the drought of a good Metroid game - then to have this revealed at E3 in lieu of a full-blown Samus-centric Metroid adventure is a bit of kick in the teeth. Add on to this the muddied way they revealed it (some people thought it was just Metroid: Blastball) and you've disappointed a sizeable chunk of your fanbase. I think this response is warranted, personally.

For what it's worth though, the game looks fine from what I've seen. It's not something I'm likely to pick up, but it looks like an alright game - probably a 65/70 rating. As Balla said earlier though, the damage is likely done from a PR standpoint.

I agree that they are overdue for a new main game, as this year marks 8 years since Prime 3.  It would seem reasonable that they could have written a new story in that time.  I also think it is fair to be asking the question, "where is the new Metroid?", like we all ask about other IP they have as well.  It is entirely reasonable to be impatient about that.  Conflation is the issue, along with the over the top complaining.  This 3DS game has nothing to do with anything but itself and should be treated as such, it wasn't in lieu of anything, just like Other M stood on its own.  It isn't a kick in the teeth at all.  My concern isn't the complaints themselves, as we all complain at some point, it is the level of the complaining, and the conflation with issues totally unrelated to this game.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 16:33

The_Jaster wrote:
Balla wrote:
I reckon that this means no proper Metroid game for another couple of years at least.

Probably more like another 4 years. Sad

---

I thought this was a good interview with Mr Tanabe as it wasn't afraid to ask the hard questions.  

I also swear I thought Mr Tanabe said something about wanting to make a game closer to Metroid Prime 2 echoes but I can't seem find it. Eh?

I read it was at least 3 years away, but I also found another interview with Tanabe, that probably sheds more light on it:

BY JOSE OTERO
Metroid Prime Producer Kensuke Tanabe told IGN about an idea for another Samus adventure in the Metroid Prime universe.

We asked Tanabe if Metroid Prime Federation Force is the only Metroid Prime game he's working on. "I said this at the beginning, but I’m not involved in the 2D Metroid games that [Yoshio] Sakamoto works on," Tanabe said. "I still feel like there's a little more work left for me to do in the Metroid Prime series. I can’t say when, but I want to make another one.

Tanabe reminded us about the ending of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. After Samus’s ship flies off into the distance, another ship suddenly appears. He said that players Metroid Prime Hunters should recognize that the ship belongs to a bounty hunter called Sylux. "He’s actually chasing after Samus, and that’s where that game ends," Tanabe said. "There’s still more I want to build around the story of Sylux and Samus. There’s something going on between them. I want to make a game that touches upon [it]."

"I’m also thinking that, in that eventual game between Sylux and Samus that might get made, that I wants to involve the [Galactic] Federation as well," he said. "So it would be a good idea to release a game like Federation Forces to flesh out its role in the galaxy before moving on to that.

There is also this he said on Prime 2:
“It’s a long time but it would need to include a lot of content, which would take a lot of work on the development side,” said Tanabe, adding that with the next Metroid game, he’s considering focusing on one planet with dual variants much like Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

“Instead of broadening it to more planets I would have one and would focus on the timeline, and being able to change that,” he said. “That’s one interesting idea I have in mind… but I understand many people thought that [Echoes] was too difficult.”
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 16:44

I mean personally I just want to play Blast Ball
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 16:57

Quote :
There is also this he said on Prime 2:
“It’s a long time but it would need to include a lot of content, which would take a lot of work on the development side,” said Tanabe, adding that with the next Metroid game, he’s considering focusing on one planet with dual variants much like Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

“Instead of broadening it to more planets I would have one and would focus on the timeline, and being able to change that,” he said. “That’s one interesting idea I have in mind… but I understand many people thought that [Echoes] was too difficult.”

@OS - Aye that's the bit (in bold) I meant & it put a big smile on my face because echoes is my favourite prime game. Grin
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015 - 21:00

oldschool wrote:
 This 3DS game has nothing to do with anything but itself and should be treated as such, it wasn't in lieu of anything, just like Other M stood on its own.  It isn't a kick in the teeth at all.

Whilst I do agree there's been some overcomplaining going on here, I have take issue with what you've said here. By taking on the Metroid Prime name, you're instantly associating that game with a possible Metroid Prime 4, which we didn't get. That's only exacerbating the disappointment. Other M, as much maligned as it may be, doesn't carry that Prime moniker.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Gwyn400
FMK Tagline
Gwyn400

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 EmptySat 20 Jun 2015 - 11:13

I feel like this game would have made people less angry if it just had less focus on Metroid in the title so it was more obviously a spin off rather than an actual Metroid game that was made instead of the game fans wanted them to make. Just calling it Federation Force: Metroid Prime or maybe something other than Prime might have helped
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.   Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Metroid Prime: Federation Force AKA The Metroid that you never really wanted.
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next