We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vote For Iwata's Best Game

Go down 
+10
The_Jaster
OrangeRakoon
JayMoyles
Buskalilly
Athrun888
The Cappuccino Kid
NintenDUCK
masofdas
Balladeer
ZeroJones
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015 - 12:48

That's the thing Balla without the Iwata aspect, it might of just been vote for the best game Nintendo has published ever.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015 - 15:07

Balladeer wrote:
I'm interested to see what the results would look like without the "Iwata emphasis".  

If EB does beat my second choice into the top ten, I will go on a little bit of a rant.  Suffice to say for now, I think that EB the TV show would have been brilliant.  EB the game can "do one".

I don't think your rant would be warranted, to be honest. This is a vote about Iwata's best games, not Nintendo's best games. The Iwata emphasis is to be expected - this is about celebrating his career, after all. I'll happily defend Earthbound should it place over whatever your second place choice is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015 - 15:15

Yes Jay, but I don't feel that EB is a good game at all.  I felt that the story and characters and music and that were wonderful.  As a game, what I played was tripe.  Old and clunky, and with dungeon design that feels like it came from a ten-year-old trying to copy a Final Fantasy dungeon.  (I remember drawing maps that were just rambling passageways at that age, because that was ten-year-old Balla's definition of good level design.)  And I'm a big JRPG fan.

That's what I meant when saying that EB the TV show would be great. Aww! And it makes me sad, because I'd love to experience all the stuff in this video.  But I can't get past the gameplay.

Guess I got that out of my system early.  There's also a subjectivity around the definition of "Iwata's best game" that we've already been over, but even considering that, Mêlée > GSC >>>> Earthbound.  Pokémon Stadium probably ranks above it too. Meh

Oh, and my second-place was Metroid Prime.  Iwata probably had naff-all to do with it, and it's still a better "Iwata game" than EB.

(DISCLAIMER: All of this should come with a big fat "IMO" sticker attached.)

Last edited by Balladeer on Wed 29 Jul 2015 - 15:19; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015 - 15:16

masofdas wrote:
That's the thing Balla without the Iwata aspect, it might of just been vote for the best game Nintendo has published ever.

To be honest the list is starting to look like it could be part of any Nintendo related vote which is what I feared the most.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015 - 15:21

@Balla you forgot one of my picks which has showed up and won't and that's Kirby Adventure on the NES which I would put over Earthbound.

@Jas hmm like Zero this is to celebrate Nintendo under Iwata and these games have happened under him and going forward Nintendo might be very different under Takeda.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015 - 15:24

Agreed with Mas on the Iwata thing (I've never played KA).  There are a couple of quotes from the first page I could pick that are why the thread's like it is, but here's a good one from Drunka:

Drunkalilly wrote:
He might not have been super involved in making the games, but its pretty much down to his decisions that the games exist.

And I don't think we'd have seen GSC (not sure about SSBM) in a top-ten of Nintendo games.  Wii Sports has a big Iwata influence too, surely.

Last edited by Balladeer on Wed 29 Jul 2015 - 15:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015 - 15:25

I guess I just took the thread entirely the wrong way then.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015 - 20:50

Woah, what's all this about Earthbound? It's a great game! I don't think JRPGs have evolved nearly as much people make out they do, and Earthbound harks back to a time with less cutscene interruptery. Alright, the combat menus are a bit tappa tappa tappa, but it's still awesome.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015 - 21:13

Balladeer wrote:
Yes Jay, but I don't feel that EB is a good game at all.  I felt that the story and characters and music and that were wonderful.  As a game, what I played was tripe.  Old and clunky, and with dungeon design that feels like it came from a ten-year-old trying to copy a Final Fantasy dungeon.  (I remember drawing maps that were just rambling passageways at that age, because that was ten-year-old Balla's definition of good level design.)  And I'm a big JRPG fan.

Conversely, I feel Earthbound more than warrants a position on this list. As Jimbob said, the JRPG hasn't evolved too far beyond what Earthbound was (I think people are too hard on its combat system - it's nowhere near as clunky as folks make it out to be), but I think its world and characters are so wonderfully quirky and unique even today, and aren't those elements of a game the most important for an RPG?

I think the issue is at its core that folks have voted in different ways with some lending heavier weight to Iwata's personal contribution to a game. It makes me a little sad to see Jas feel that he took the thread in "the wrong way" when there isn't a right or wrong way to vote. In the end, we're going to have a list that shows the breadth of Iwata's career - from the programmer (where I personally thought Earthbound was his greatest contribution) to the executive.

We don't even know if Earthbound's placed yet, anyway. Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015 - 21:40

Thumbs Up! for Jay

@Balla play Kirby's Adventure I think it's on both Wii U & 3DS VC's
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyThu 30 Jul 2015 - 8:36

Let's break the gathering tension by releasing another even numbered vote! Be warned: there's a lot to read in here.

Second Place:
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyThu 30 Jul 2015 - 8:59

Now waits for a rant from Balla, also that pretty much confirms Super Mario Galaxy is likely Number 1 again.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyThu 30 Jul 2015 - 9:05

Yeah, that's going to break the tension. Laughing I've got nothing else to say on this one!

Also, Zero, grand job on handling what was... at times a somewhat fractious vote! Thumbs Up! Your usual tact and diplomacy on show. (Hey, we need one admin. who can do it.) That said, is there any point in leaving the number 1 until tomorrow? It's not like there's any suspense surrounding it at all.

Unless you need time to type it up, in which case, fair enough. Smile
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyThu 30 Jul 2015 - 9:19

I agree with Balla on the Number 1, I'm now more curious how we voted differently to SONM and that sort of thing then the actual Number 1.

On EB, I do own the VC I bought it as soon as it went up as I've always heard good things also thought if we buy it we might get more of them. When I played it felt very very old to me and just didn't play much at all. I should go back and give it another go at some point.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyThu 30 Jul 2015 - 12:43

Good to see Earthbound means as much to a couple of others here as it does to me. I really do hope Mother 3 eventually makes it way over here - it's a truly special game as well.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyThu 30 Jul 2015 - 14:38

See, I loved Mother 3! Or at least liked it a lot. Small updates to the gameplay, as well as an immediately gripping story (main character dying in the first act), made no end of an improvement.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyFri 31 Jul 2015 - 7:08

Drum roll, please...

Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 Drum%20SH Rolling Eyes

Winky Face

First Place:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyFri 31 Jul 2015 - 8:40

ZeroJones wrote:
However you slice it, we almost all appreciate the shuddering brilliance of Super Mario Galaxy.

Fixed. Winky Face

I completely understand why Zero's chosen to string the vote out for another day - at least one SONM-er speculated at LoZSS taking the top spot.  For us GNamers, I think it's a case of "SMG's brilliance removes the suspense in yet another voting thread."  By such a margin as well.  

Not Zero's fault, I must stress; but I would push for SMG to be excluded from the next vote in which it falls, to keep people's interest.  It's just, it would seem, too good.

I've said most of the rest of what I wanted to say, from so far off could this be seen.  Looking forward to the miscellaneous results! Grin
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyFri 31 Jul 2015 - 10:12

Sleep

I'm more excited to see the bits now.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyFri 31 Jul 2015 - 16:26

Happy as always to see Super Mario Galaxy at the top - far and away the best platformer I've ever played. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyFri 31 Jul 2015 - 17:09

I thought that was Jak, Jay.

I remember when I suggested a platformer vote, we might as well skip it and give SMG that title now.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyFri 31 Jul 2015 - 17:12

Aye, there'd be no point in waiting for first place in such a vote unless (as I suggested above) SMG was specifically excluded. I don't think that SMG2 would have the same stranglehold in the original's absence.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyFri 31 Jul 2015 - 17:17

Only thing if every platformer be it 2D or 3D or more Action based like a Mega Man ever was allowed it would be a broad spectrum and nostalgia could play big part as well, as I sure would vote for likes of Sonic 2, Yoshi Island, Crash Bandicoot 3, Super Mario 64 for instance.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyFri 31 Jul 2015 - 17:43

masofdas wrote:
I thought that was Jak, Jay.  

Jak is probably my favourite platformer, but it's got its flaws. SMG is a better game, but I don't have the same personal attachment as I do with Jak.

Balladeer wrote:
Aye, there'd be no point in waiting for first place in such a vote unless (as I suggested above) SMG was specifically excluded.  I don't think that SMG2 would have the same stranglehold in the original's absence.

I don't think you can specifically exclude a game - kinda defeats the point of a popular vote, doesn't it? Meh

A question to Zero: what miscellaneous tidbits have we to come? Smile
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 EmptyFri 31 Jul 2015 - 17:47

Just for the record, Super Mario Galaxy is one of my three joint favourite games of all time. Nonetheless, I'd have put it behind Balloon Fight and Wii Sports in this vote. Make of that what you will.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Vote For Iwata's Best Game
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next