We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vote For Iwata's Best Game

Go down 
+10
The_Jaster
OrangeRakoon
JayMoyles
Buskalilly
Athrun888
The Cappuccino Kid
NintenDUCK
masofdas
Balladeer
ZeroJones
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySat 25 Jul 2015 - 10:20

Melee's just a faster game in general, even without the advanced techniques. I enjoy Smash 4, don't get me wrong, but zipping around Fountain of Dreams as Sheik in Melee is still great fun even today.

I wonder if we're going to see both Super Mario Galaxies in this countdown... my money is on yes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySat 25 Jul 2015 - 10:25

I find the difference in pace so unimportant between those two (Brawl's is much more noticeable) that it does indeed come down to which has more stuff.  And more variety is always better than less.  Believe me, I was a semi-religious Mêlée player back in the day, but it just doesn't measure up now.

But that's just me.  I reckon Mêlée probably will rank higher regardless, because of its greater Sakurai involvement.  

I reckon SMG1 will win.  Just like the Wii vote, the Mario vote...  I reckon that, on here, it'd win a best game ever vote.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySat 25 Jul 2015 - 10:31

I agree that Brawl's drop in pace is more noticeable, but I still think there's a notable difference in pace between Melee and Smash 4. This isn't even a case of rose-tinted glasses as I still play Melee with my brother whenever I'm back at my parents. Ah well, to each their own though, eh? Smile

I'd wager money on SMG coming out top too. I'm chuffed to hear that we've got a solid mix of "Iwata the executive" and "Iwata the programmer" in our list - glad that our list is representative of both major parts of Iwata's career.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySat 25 Jul 2015 - 10:32

I don't know if SMG would win a best game ever vote, you just have to look at the actual top whatever thread to see it would have some competition.

But could see it winning here though.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySat 25 Jul 2015 - 10:38

Honestly, I feel a little sad about SMG's continued stranglehold over every voting thread it's in (surprised it didn't win the DS and console voting threads too). I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the feeling of "not getting" something that everyone else seems to love so much. I do "get it", I would give it a 9/10 - but everyone else seems to think it's gaming's sliced bread, 118/10 minimum.

Presumably it's because I really wanted Super Mario 128, a game in the SM64 vein with similar free-roaming levels, and when SMG gave me pretty much the opposite I turned sour. I wish I could love it as much as many of the rest of you (Mas obviously excluded).
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySat 25 Jul 2015 - 10:53

I also want the same as you Balla, Mario 128 or whatever but I do understand how & why SMG wins stuff even though I don't like due to the controls.

Also I thought The Last of Us gaming's sliced bread now.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySat 25 Jul 2015 - 22:42

The Last of Us doesn't have the crowd on the this forum, also it's become pretty cool not to like it so...

Anyway I think the reason Galaxy has and likely always will come out so highly is because everyone agrees that it's that good (minus Mas). It's a game that is simply a joy to play and absolutely blew our minds. I don't think there is such a consistent love for any other series/entry to a series around.

With the Karts, Smashes Mario RPGs we all have different favourites and the others aren't so likely to make the list. With games like Fire Emblem or Pikmin there are large chunks who aren't fans of the genre. Galaxy is just ace.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySat 25 Jul 2015 - 22:48

If Mas doesn't like it, then I definitely don't love it. It's a game I begrudgingly admit is good.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySat 25 Jul 2015 - 23:56

I meant the general gaming community on The Last of Us, Andy

What Balla said I also begrudgingly agree SMG is good, I just can't play it. I really want a HD version with proper controls, kinda like Andy can't get on with early MGS's due to the controls.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySun 26 Jul 2015 - 7:32

Even then the general public seem to have turned on TLoU Sad

I really don't get the hatred for SMG's controls, I hate pointer controls and motion controls but they just work, not to mention the main controls are just move, jump and run. Madness!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySun 26 Jul 2015 - 8:59

In my ZeroJonesian avatar, it falls to me (read: Zero's away this weekend) to present you with rankings eight and seven!  Please, take a look:

Eighth Place:

Seventh Place:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySun 26 Jul 2015 - 9:08

And back to being me...

GSC was brilliant at the time.  It's now dated as hell, as are most Gameboy games.  I voted for HGSS, on the grounds that it has Iwata's gameplay touches while still standing up in this day and age - presumably it won't rank, because "Iwata didn't make it".  Even though he had just as much influence on the gameplay as he did on the original.

Got nothing to say on Wii Sports.  The HD version's still in its packaging, which shows how much it means to me now.  Moving on.

More SMG talk:
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySun 26 Jul 2015 - 10:02

That Gold and Silver trailer was excellent. Laughing

I included Gold and Silver over the superior HG&SS because of the nostalgia factor more than anything else, as well as Iwata's direct involvement. I'd have been happy with either HG&SS or the originals making an appearance.

Wii Sports is probably the best representation of a Wii game, so all for its inclusion here. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySun 26 Jul 2015 - 10:46

2 results that would never have been in my list but 2 I can't argue with all the same, especially for those who voted on Iwataryness grounds.

As for the SMG cam I've never suffered for it and I'm generally pretty picky in that regard.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySun 26 Jul 2015 - 17:19

@Andy what Balla said on SMG and my issues with the controls is correct, like I said you might not have a issue with them but I do and like I said I've had no issue with MGS for instance with it's controls & neither did Drunka playing it years later after it came out but you do.

What your saying about TLoU, does that mean the rest of internet now agrees with me on it.

On the results, I did go for Gold & Silver and the first of mine to show up.

Ohh and SONM don't like words it seems.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptySun 26 Jul 2015 - 17:47

This is turning out really nice, and I'm enjoying reading the picks. Feel like an idiot for not voting now...
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptyMon 27 Jul 2015 - 9:00

Drunkalilly wrote:
This is turning out really nice, and I'm enjoying reading the picks.

It's been a fine vote and I'm enjoying turning out the results! Grin Thanks to Balla for stepping in for me yesterday as I recovered from being drunk in Lancashire. Embarrassed Now, to sixth and fifth!

Sixth Place:

Breaking into the top five, we have...

Fifth Place:

Tomorrow will see fourth place revealed! Dance
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptyMon 27 Jul 2015 - 9:12

Hmm, I wonder who wrote that first Paper Mario comment... Balladeer
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptyMon 27 Jul 2015 - 9:22

Wahey, glad to see Melee making it in to our top ten! Smile
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptyMon 27 Jul 2015 - 9:27

Now its official Mêlée is the better SMASH.

Last edited by masofdas on Mon 27 Jul 2015 - 12:10; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptyMon 27 Jul 2015 - 9:57

masofdas wrote:

Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 Tumblr_m4rl4bOkrq1qc9j0w_large

Chuffed to see TTYD making it into the top five!  I always feel that it's somewhat neglected, despite being my second favourite 'Cube game, until one of these awards comes up and it always places highly.  Make another such please Nintendo!  (And no idea what you're talking about, Drunka...)

Earthbound surely has to place soon.  In fact,

Balladeer guesses the remaining places:

Last edited by Balladeer on Mon 27 Jul 2015 - 12:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptyMon 27 Jul 2015 - 12:00

masofdas wrote:
Now its official Mêlée is the better SMASH4.

Eh? what?

I honestly don't get the love for melee
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptyMon 27 Jul 2015 - 12:32

Balladeer wrote:
masofdas wrote:

Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 367879

Earthbound surely has to place soon.  In fact,

Balladeer guesses the remaining places:

I dislike that .gif, always found it a little condescending. Meh

I reckon Earthbound will be third. SMG in first... not sure about the rest. Maybe Metroid Prime and a Zelda.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptyMon 27 Jul 2015 - 12:36

For what it's worth, the original is my favourite Smash. Grin I loved racking up the silly bonuses in a fight - Pacifist, Smashless, and all the rest, and Break The Targets was my jam for a long while. The series has had to leave some things behind, I recognise that, but - my favourite bits... Sad
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 EmptyMon 27 Jul 2015 - 12:52

JayMoyles wrote:
I dislike that .gif, always found it a little condescending. Meh

How come you've never said as much the myriad of times Jas has used it? Sad I'm sure Mas has used it before too.  I do see your point though.  I'll swap it for another one.

Seriously, I'm presuming "that's the joke", but we can't say anything about the forum's relative views on the Smashes from a thread where there's such a focus on games Iwata was directly involved in.

Zero has, to be fair, pointed out a great thing (the awards) about the original two games that has been sadly lost in translation.  Although it and the original Break the Targets were both in SSBM too, Zero, so when you say that the original was your favourite I look at you like this: Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vote For Iwata's Best Game   Vote For Iwata's Best Game - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Vote For Iwata's Best Game
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next