We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Annoying advertising + possible domain?

Go down 
+7
The_Jaster
Jimbob
Buskalilly
Muss
ZeroJones
Balladeer
Spiralcannon2-CW
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Spiralcannon2-CW
Grackler Bait
Spiralcannon2-CW

Annoying advertising + possible domain? Empty
PostSubject: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyThu 12 May 2016 - 11:36

Since early 2016 Forumotion started to put pop ups across their forums sometimes.

It's really annoying, and detracts from the greatness of the community, especially if you don't have AdBlock (I use an iPhone for instance).

I realise the only way to get rid of it is to pay, but wouldn't it be worth it? As well, the popularity of the site means it deserves its own domain in my eyes, I paid for a .com domain for my site and it started to take off like every ZIG did. (Well, better than it did before.)

Forumotion used to be the best free provider but not anymore it seems. While it offers a lot in its free package and looks good, some things are lacking in. Other free forum hosting would still have ads but not malicious pop up shit...

I don't mean to sound overly critical or nothing, I've settled in quickly and found this site really welcoming and friendly, there's a just few little snags Sad

Any opinions are entitled and accepted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.101gamers.com/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyThu 12 May 2016 - 16:19

I will more than agree that the ads on iPhone that forcibly redirect you to a spam site are less than welcome. However I wouldn't want to ask anyone to pay unless everyone does.

At the moment I've got this wonderful thing at the top of my screen:

Code:
"; GA_googleAddAdSenseSlotAttr("728x90-top", "google_ad_slot", google_ad_slot); GA_googleAddAdSenseSlotAttr("728x90-top", "google_ad_channel", google_ad_channel); GA_googleAddAdSenseSlotAttr("728x90-top", "google_ad_type", "text_image"); GA_googleAddAdSenseSlotAttr("728x90-top", "google_color_border", google_color_border); GA_googleAddAdSenseSlotAttr("728x90-top", "google_color_link", google_color_link); GA_googleAddAdSenseSlotAttr("728x90-top", "google_color_bg", google_color_bg); GA_googleAddAdSenseSlotAttr("728x90-top", "google_color_text", google_color_text); GA_googleAddAdSenseSlotAttr("728x90-top", "google_color_url", google_color_url); GA_googleAddAdSenseSlotAttr("728x90-top", "google_ui_features", google_ui_features); GA_googleAddAdSenseSlotAttr("728x90-top", "google_font", google_font); GA_googleAddAdSenseSlotAttr("728x90-top", "google_font_size", google_font_size); GA_googleAddAdSenseSlotAttr("728x90-top", "google_alternate_ad_url", google_alternate_ad_url);//]]>

Glorious.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
Spiralcannon2-CW
Grackler Bait
Spiralcannon2-CW

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyThu 12 May 2016 - 16:49

That's true.

It's also a shame Forumotion don't let you import to a database for specific forum softwares in case you want to move, too.

I only seem to get the ads sometimes though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.101gamers.com/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyThu 12 May 2016 - 17:02

The ads are strange. I had a look at the admin side of the forum and couldn't find a way to specifically turn them off for all users. I also have the mess on screen that Balla referred to - I'm fairly sure I didn't change any settings during the trip but I'll double check... and then report bad ads. Rolling Eyes

The domain stuff is ongoing. You can use gnamer.org.uk but that doesn't give the flexibility that messedupcables.forumotion.net does... we'll keep on at that one. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyThu 12 May 2016 - 19:41

Yep, I seem to have the mess, accompanied by the advert below it. Whenever I try to post I can't see half of what I'm writing, and the quotes, pictures and other functions are obscured by the advert Sad
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyThu 12 May 2016 - 19:44

I have reached out to the Forumotion Gods and they spake unto me: "Sorry, guy, there's nothing we can do about that." I suppose we have to wait for Google Ads to get their act together. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyThu 12 May 2016 - 19:44

I'm getting that, but only for specific adverts. Refreshing and getting a different advert sorts it.

Bloody annoying!
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyMon 6 Jun 2016 - 23:17

While we're talking about annoying ads... I just had one page completely redirect to a dodgy ad. Everybody stay alert.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyMon 6 Jun 2016 - 23:37

Touch wood *head board*, they've been getting rarer.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyTue 7 Jun 2016 - 1:18

Jimbob wrote:
While we're talking about annoying ads... I just had one page completely redirect to a dodgy ad. Everybody stay alert.

I had that happen also.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyTue 7 Jun 2016 - 14:43

Coupl'a times, although they're fortunately getting blocked by my computer software. Google Ads is crap, Youtube's problems are well documented... Remember when Google used to be highly thought of?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyWed 3 Aug 2016 - 16:18

I particularly liked this one today:

Quote :
"ad placeholder";
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyWed 3 Aug 2016 - 16:20

I haven't even got that much - logged in or not. Meh
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyThu 11 Aug 2016 - 10:59

Today's advert wrote:
Ukrainian Girls Marriage

30000+ Single Girls Ready to Marry. Lay Foundations for a New Family.

Well that doesn't sound like human trafficking at all. Pale
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyThu 11 Aug 2016 - 21:17

I'm still sure the advertising is tailored to your browsing history here... Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptyFri 11 Nov 2016 - 14:54

Keep getting an advert for this:

Spoiler:

Reckon they'll need a modern-day sequel soon.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptySat 12 Nov 2016 - 22:41

Your picture is broken for me, Balla.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptySun 13 Nov 2016 - 8:09

It's an ad, presumably you have Adblock on! It's for a WWII strategy game.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptySun 13 Nov 2016 - 11:08

My ad bar keeps just advertising youtube videos I've recently watched. It's kinda weird . . .
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptySun 4 Jun 2017 - 10:51

Been a long time since I've thought to post in this thread! Over the past week or so I've had an abundance of pop-ups, which can't be dismissed, and re-directions to spam sites - "you've won, blah blah bullshit" - while browsing the forum on mobile. Presumably there's nothing the admins can do but I'll probably avoid the forum on mobile browsers from now on, sadly.

As an aside, I used 'classic mode' when browsing on mobile, haven't tried the other mode as it looks all weird but maybe it'll be better. Will still avoid mobile browsing for now though.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptySun 4 Jun 2017 - 11:40

That's really concerning: at least 95% of my forum browsing is on my phone and I've had none of that. No I know Forumotion upgraded the mobile side of things in the past year so the proper, non-classic mobile site should run more smoothly... but spoilers are visible on it. We'll keep waiting, I suppose...
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptySun 4 Jun 2017 - 11:47

I keep getting pop ups on mobile like Muss for Sky Sports and the Cricket.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptySun 4 Jun 2017 - 12:57

Are you signed in on your phone? I notice that across all devices the pop ups and so on are much worse when viewing the forum as a guest.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptySun 4 Jun 2017 - 14:17

I normally wouldn't have bothered complaining, but I was actually in the middle of a post when a cricket pop-up wouldn't go away. I've installed an adblock browser now, for the sole purpose of using the forum while on mobile. I want to support the host's ads, but if they're going to spam my phone then I won't.

I'm guessing it's actually google's fault for not auditing what ads they host properly?
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? EmptySun 4 Jun 2017 - 14:19

Yeah, I got told it was Google's fault when I asked the Forumotion support team in the past. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Annoying advertising + possible domain?   Annoying advertising + possible domain? Empty

Back to top Go down

Annoying advertising + possible domain?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next