We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)

Go down 
+15
fronkhead
gjones
OrangeRakoon
Treesmurf
Solve My Maze
Buskalilly
EofGizmo
Jimbob
Crumpy Andy
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
Balladeer
ZeroJones
masofdas
Muss
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 23:11

An interesting take for sure, although I feel like he makes the assumption that the monthly game is going to be worth playing each month (I'm sure he'd admit some months will trump others, but he's communicating on the twitters so nuance is tough). Now, Nintendo have an incredible library to draw from of course, but I reckon there will be months that don't appeal to a given individual. On those months, they miss out, whereas if a model like Sony's was used, they'd have a "freemium" library to fall back on at least.

I think the idea of some online integration and community events for old games is very cool - and it could potentially be more valuable as a one off monthly experience than just having a ton of roms in your library that you don't play -, but everything's going to depend on the original source itself, how much effort goes into these, as he calls them, DVD like extras (online, new features etc), and how much the community at large picks up and engages with them.

Edit - also, the idea of these games being experienced as "new" by a whole new generation sounds exciting on paper, I'm not sure they'll be interpreted as cool new things by the public at large though, if only because I think, as a lot of our reactions go to show (mine included), we value games differently in our digital age.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017 - 23:26

All of that is true. If we're assuming some sort of monthly community aspect, that could be high score challenges, achievements, etc. Then you can be left with the memories/score/Mii accessories/etc.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySat 14 Jan 2017 - 0:00

Balladeer wrote:
I think the peripheral costs are going to be more of a millstone around the Switch's neck than the console's, at least globally.  We're stuck with a shoddy exchange rate (as apparently are the Ozzies?), while US people, from what I understand, thought $299 was pretty much all right.  Then they saw the peripherals...

While I agree that the peripheral prices are a bit steep I think it is easy to forget all the tech thats inside them, the controllers for example all have the gyros/accelerometers, IR sensors, nfc reader & the new HD rumble.

JayMoyles wrote:
A bit of a sad point - those Virtual Console games that you get monthly with the paid online service are only available to play for that month before new games replace them. To be honest, that's a bit pants. Building up a library of indies or older AAA titles with my PS Plus subscription that I can play as long as I'm a subscriber is a good selling point for the service. Imagine a service where you could build up a library of Nintendo's classics to dip into at any time - that's an even bigger selling point in my opinion! With how they're actually presenting it, it's like it's a month long demo for a game. Meh

I pretty much realised this right away when I read it & it hasnt bothered me like it has others as with things like PS+ I pay my sub mainly for online MP and the free games are a nice wee extra if I happen to like the look of them I give them a download.

Some months I flat out ignore but I dont feel like Im wasting money keeping the sub and nothing changes for switch as I'll keep it to be able to play games like Splatoon, Bomberman, MK8D & Monster Hunter.

Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySat 14 Jan 2017 - 10:54

ZeroJones wrote:
Outside-of-prediction-thread prediction: the online service includes Miiverse. Meh

Prediction - QUASHED! No Miiverse or StreetPass for Switch. That's a real shame, from my perspective. I didn't think there would be StreetPass, to be fair, but the loss of Miiverse makes me sad in the tummy. Aww! (and there's the icon to prove it)
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySat 14 Jan 2017 - 11:34

I'm quite the opposite, I've always enjoyed Streetpass and its various uses, but I've always thought Miiverse was a waste of space.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySat 14 Jan 2017 - 12:14

I'm in two minds about Miiverse - it was fun to read comments about games from intelligent grown-ups like what we are, but it was swamped with 3 year olds writing the name of a game on the pad and posting it, 7 year olds writing a review of an indie game over 578 pages, and people writing "stop ruining Miiverse by not letting us play out a role-playing game in the play journal for Street Fighter II". As long as there's some kind of share-y thing, it'll be alright.

I too loved at the Parental Control video; I didn't need to watch it, and wasn't planning to, but when it came up, I couldn't stop! I too laughed out loud - or LOLed as I believe you say - when Bowser's phone background showed up!

I would pre-order a Switch, but Amazon are already drained. However, I've learned that I don't need things on day one. SO I'm only slightly Hissy fit
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySat 14 Jan 2017 - 16:43

They've said that it will leak to social media and that's where we will post are screenshots etc.

On the sub game, I do like the idea of us trying to redo the retro lets play and all of us for a month playing what ever Nintendo gives us but I still think the loan system is daft.

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySat 14 Jan 2017 - 17:06

So, Ive seen folk say that apparently the paid online service wont launch in Europe in Autumn (only US, Canada & Mexico) & some of them were down right pissed off about it but if thats a case I reckon it could be a blessing in disguise as we will get to see how it all works without needing to pay.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySat 14 Jan 2017 - 19:13

A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 Screen11

Here is a link for you all.
Back to top Go down
EofGizmo
FMK Tagline
EofGizmo

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySat 14 Jan 2017 - 19:31

For me, the online service comes down to quality. If the servers are good, the app thing has easy to use matchmaking, lobbies, party chat , etc then i would be happy to pay for it. The SNES "online updates" sound like an interesting prospect though i agree essentially renting the games is a tad disappointing.

They may be focus testing all of this at the moment though and like someone said earlier we are going to be the last to get it (with our Aussie friends) so hopefully its a more well rounded and enticing service by then.

To be honest, the fact that Nintendo are accepting that online is very important can only be a really positive sign in my opinion!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySat 14 Jan 2017 - 19:33

Yass!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySat 14 Jan 2017 - 21:07

Crumpy Andy wrote:
I'm quite the opposite, I've always enjoyed Streetpass and its various uses, but I've always thought Miiverse was a waste of space.

That means I haven't explained myself properly. Embarrassed I love StreetPass as well, but if the point of it is to bring gamers together, the Switch console as a whole does that. It's easy to see that they would ditch it when thinking of features for the new baby. Miiverse has lost a lot of appeal, primarily because people deserted it after the last big update. Aww!

Last edited by ZeroJones on Sun 15 Jan 2017 - 17:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Jan 2017 - 11:52

I'm sad about both of those. I'm still working on those StreetPass puzzles (although the paid games have lacked the immediacy for me), and Miiverse remains the best thing about the Wii U for me. Best social network at launch. Sadly they tinkered about with it a bit too much, and other games didn't put it front-and-centre like Game & Wario or NSMBU did.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Jan 2017 - 16:13

The death of the, Bad Miiverse Posts Twitter account alone is reason enough to morn the end of Miiverse!

I only ever used streetpass to send people weird messages. It was a fun quirky feature but I'm not sure I'll really miss it.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Jan 2017 - 18:09

7.8 Too Much Water
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Jan 2017 - 19:45

I have placed my preorder! It. Is. Happening. Grin
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Jan 2017 - 20:24

Applause Nice one, Jay! Missed your impressions on the big Ninty home console games, so I have.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Jan 2017 - 20:32

I have missed giving said impressions! I felt like I'd missed the boat on the Wii U, and whilst I was tempted, I was wanting to start afresh on Ninty's next big home console venture. Glad to be hopping aboard on day one this time around.

Zelda has also been preordered, natch.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Jan 2017 - 21:32

I'm bloody excited about the Nintendo Switch, I think it looks brilliant across the board, and I reckon all the things people are worried about will turn out to be much less significant than anyone thinks. Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up!

Muss wrote:
I reckon Drunka's parents bought him a switch so they could troll him with those parental controls Twisted Evil
I reckon they're aware enough of the fact that rationing my game time as a child probably lead to my obsession as an adult Drunka.
JayMoyles wrote:
BOWSER'S WALLPAPER IS PEACH. AMAZING. Laughing
What a guy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan Online
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 6:14

I hope so Drunka. Trouble is, these things have a big effect on perception. We've already lost, what, two people from this forum to the Switch cause from the starting price and launch-day line-up?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 8:02

I do think it's a tad expensive but what I'm seeing from likes of Chris Scullion and the like is a amazing handheld device (How I would market it) and I don't know if people want to pay that sort of money for that.

I bought a VITA at launch which was £230 for the WiFi version and it has all this cool tech and at the time playing games sort in between PS2 and PS3 games was amazing.

We're getting that again with the Switch playing games what seem to be in between PS3, 360 WiiU and PS4, ONE is an amazing feat along with the stuff like HD Rumble.

Then again the 3DS launched at £220 and struggled in till a price drop along with some big games arriving but has since turned out to be a huge success.

Anyway as I'm someone who jumps on with a new system at the start I've had mine preordered for months along with now having Special Edition of Zelda and a Pro on order at the moment.

Another thing I can see putting people of is the price of games, I said elsewhere and I think Cappa talked about it years ago games at launch come with a premium and now Ultra Street Fighter II is $40 which is based on Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix from 2008 costing $14.99 on XBLA and more then likely be on sale a boat load of times over the past 9 years.

One more thing the Switch is coming March the same month as the DS and 3DS launched in Europe which is rather cool.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 11:29

For me the only launch game that definitely matters is zelda, which should keep me going for a month(s). The other prices are kind of irrelevant because by the time zelda is over I'll be onto Mario kart.

If that's not enough then in the interim I've got plenty of other options on ps or pc. I'd like bomberman too though ideally but its not a "must get right away" for me.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 15:42

I'd get The Man Who Bombs if there's enough of us here getting it. BotW will likely do me fine solo, but I would quite like something to play with folks online.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 16:26

OLOLOLLLLL I DONE A PRE ORDEREDD Falcon Punch
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 19:28

Woohoo! Dance Some cheer in these dark times.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)   A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A Switch in Time (General Switch Chat II)
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next