We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas

Go down 
+6
OrangeRakoon
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  Empty
PostSubject: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018 - 10:18

PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  Playstation-classic-ps1-psone.original

This morning Sony announced the PlayStation Classic which will come out on December 3rd which is the 24th anniversary in Japan for £90 and will include 2 controllers and 20 pre-installed games that at the moment we know are Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, R4 Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms to be amongst them.

I have preordered one right away but I'm not sure about the 20 games as I can't see Crash or Spyro being on it or licenced stuff and that era of games don't hold up that well compared to 8 or 16-bit era.

What do you guys think and what should be the other 15 games?
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018 - 10:48

I've pre-ordered three, just to make sure I get one!

I'm very, very excited about this - it's such a quality generation of PlayStation that hosted so many absolute classics. Tekken 3, Ridge Racer Type 4 and JumpingFlash are three of my favourite PSone games, and Final Fantasy VII is perhaps as highly regarded on PSone as Ocarina of Time was on N64. That's a great first four games.

Crash and Spyro would be very big misses - they're synonymous with the original PlayStation, you immediately think of those games when you think about the PSone - and there's no chance that we'll get the likes of ISS Pro '98, Die Hard Trilogy, THPS 2 and Gran Turismo. But still, this isn't an N64 Classic - there's still literally hundreds of games that could find their way onto this.

I have to think that Resident Evil will be one of them - after all, that packaging as an 18 rating on the front of it. Otherwise, I'm thinking that Grand Theft Auto, Tomb Raider, Parappa The Rapper, Wipeout and Twisted Metal will be represented in some way, as they're all such highly-regarded series for that time and were so important for that console. Perhaps Klonoa: Door to Phantomile too, as Namco are clearly on board with this. Sony might even put some left-of-field stuff on there, like Tombi, Oddworld, Destruction Derby 2 and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. There's so much choice!

EDIT: There's one that definitely won't be on here - Ape Escape. That controller knackers that. Bollocks!

Last edited by The Cappuccino Kid on Wed 19 Sep 2018 - 11:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018 - 10:58

Like you say a lot of choice and you didn't even mention the biggest one Metal Gear Solid which is highly regarded as FFVII but I'm iffy on things like Resident Evil 2 (the best one on PS1) because of the remake coming.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018 - 11:46

Ooft, I forgot all about Metal Gear Solid! There's no chance that the developers of the PlayStation Classic drew up a list of twenty games and didn't include Metal Gear Solid on it.

Another one I thought they might include was Medievil - that's quite a good game that seems to be fondly remembered, it's Sony's IP, and it's a decent alternative to Spyro and Crash.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018 - 14:45

WHAT A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS.
I only want it if it has Digimon World.
Presumably it will have MGS and SOTN, so Mas wont be getting one.

I think Medieval is getting an HD remake pretty soon, so that's unlikely.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018 - 15:06

I totally forgot about that remake of Medievil but again something to take into account with what might and might not be on the Classic.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018 - 19:36

I didn't know about it at all, so that's more good news. What about Kula World instead? I don't think that's due for an HD update...!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018 - 20:52

I'd snap this up in a heart beat if it has ISS pro evo 2 on it, I was absolutely obsessed with that game to the point I played it everyday and over the later PES games on ps2 for about 3 or 4 years.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018 - 22:07

That's one of the best games on the PlayStation right enough, but I think all the licenses would hump it's chances of being on the Classic. That's a shame, because I'd like to see a good spread of genres on that, especially those that best represent what the PlayStation was all about. For that reason, surely at least a couple of sports games have to be on this, yet the only one I'd be confident about seeing here is Everybody's Golf (a cracking game!).
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018 - 22:29

Aye, I'll still keep my eye on it though and make my mind up properly when I see a full official list of all the games.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018 - 23:33

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Parappa The Rapper

I wonder if they'll skip this in lieu of something else considering it got a lick of paint and a rerelease on PSN recently. I reckon they might throw as a curveball and go for something like Um Jammer Lammy or Vib Ribbon instead.

This'll sell like hotcakes over here, I bet. It's easily going to be one of this year's hottest Christmas presents - let's hope there's a better stock situation than with Nintendo's mini consoles!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyThu 20 Sep 2018 - 11:27

Similar also to Parappa, something called Castlevania Reqium has just been rated in Korea for PS4 which contains SOTN and Rondo does the mean SOTN could be out of the classic as well?

I know the PS3 got SOTN as a PS1 Classic but not the HD version like the 360 got, as having two version on PS3 I guess didn't make sense even if one would have had trophies.

On how well it will do, I keep seeing two different views one is it won't do as well as the Nintendo Classics because Nintendo being the reason I'm seeing.

The other being it will do better which I sort think it will as take me I've been playing games for 25 years and the PS1 Classic comes out on the 24th anniversary of the console, it had a long lifespan and sold only 6m less than the NES & SNES combined that I think that it more than likely has the nostalgia going for it even more so with people around our sort of ages, I'd even think my Uncle would be interested in it as he played a lot of PS1 in what would have been his mid-30s.

Plus look at how Crash Bandicoot sold last year and then again this year.

The other 15 games, I'd like to see based on what's on it, what has a remaster or something etc and what has an emulation already

Alundra
Everybody's Golf, whichever is the best one
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Kula World
Metal Gear Solid
Pandemonium 1 or 2
Parasite Eve II, as this is a bit niche maybe Resident Evil 3 instead
Silent Hill
Suikoden II
Syphon Filter, whichever is the best one
Tomb Raider, whichever one holds up the best
Tomba!
Twisted Metal, whichever is the best one
UmJammer Lammy

Not sure what I want from the JPN Classic which is having some different games to the west.

Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyThu 20 Sep 2018 - 12:40

JayMoyles wrote:
The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Parappa The Rapper

I wonder if they'll skip this in lieu of something else considering it got a lick of paint and a rerelease on PSN recently. I reckon they might throw as a curveball and go for something like Um Jammer Lammy or Vib Ribbon instead.

This'll sell like hotcakes over here, I bet. It's easily going to be one of this year's hottest Christmas presents - let's hope there's a better stock situation than with Nintendo's mini consoles!

Um Jammer Lammy would be a great shout for this collection - it's as good as Parappa but not as appreciated and not yet rereleased either. Vib Ribbon needs to use your music collection to play unique levels in it though, so that's much like Ape Escape in that the hardware just can't make it happen.

This will be the best-selling console of December, no danger. Folk in the UK remember that era of gaming with loads of fondness, as the massive sales of the new Crash Bandicoot trilogy illustrate. Even at £90, this is going to be massive.

On masofdas' note, there's loads I'd like to see - Hogs of War, Bloody Roar, Rollcage, Rapid Reload, Tombi, Poy Poy, Moto Toon Grand Prix, the list goes on - but the one I really, really hope is included is Bishi Bashi Special.  Love
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyThu 20 Sep 2018 - 13:53

masofdas wrote:
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Metal Gear Solid
Syphon Filter, whichever is the best one

Please!

Also Vib Ribbon got released on PS store (I got it on Vita) despite not being able to play custom music, it's worth playing just with the built in tracks
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyThu 20 Sep 2018 - 19:58

That's good to know about Vib Ribbon - that's another game I'd like to play on this Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyThu 20 Sep 2018 - 21:38

Tomb Raider II would be the one to go for in my book - those opening levels of the Great Wall of China right into Venice are crackers through and through. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyFri 21 Sep 2018 - 10:32

If one of the aims of this PlayStation Classic is to showcase critically and commercially popular games that best represent the console, then Tomb Raider II definitely should be on here. I felt it was the best one of that era - it was all downhill for Tomb Raider for years after that.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyFri 21 Sep 2018 - 10:38

Tomb Raider III I think was okay but Chronicles and Last Revolution weren't great then Angel of Darkness was pish, maybe one of the worst games I bought on launch.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 26 Sep 2018 - 12:54

Well Castlevania Requiem is real and does have SOTN on it along with the excellent Rondo of Blood but does make me think we won't see SOTN on the Classic even if Sony did put out saying remaster etc won't affect the line up of games on the PS1 Classic.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 26 Sep 2018 - 18:38

Surely the remaining 15 games are going to be from the selection already available on Vita?

Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Cool Boaders
Crash Bandicoot
Destruction Derby
Driver
Final Fantasy VII
Jumping Flash

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Metal Gear Solid
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Rayman
Ridge Racer Type 4
Silent Hill
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tomb Raider
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms
Wipeout

And I wouldn't be surprised to see Fighting Force on there, as it was popular at the time.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyWed 26 Sep 2018 - 18:52

That's what I based my choices on, what's got a emulation, what on PS4 in some way and isn't a license.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyMon 29 Oct 2018 - 13:37

PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  DqrSsfdVYAItgSd

There's the full line-up, as announced this morning by Sony, Kotaku, Gamespot, Eurogamer East Mongolia, and the rest. It's a thought-provoking list, but not one that's not going to please everybody. GTA, Metal Gear and Resident Evil really had to be on it, and stuff like Abe's Oddysee and Kurushi/Intelligent Qube is nice to see in the same way that JumpingFlash is nice to see.

BUT!

Battle Arena Toshinden and Cool Boarders 2 don't belong here. Destruction Derby and Rayman have better sequels on the same console. That Rainbow Six game was unspectacular on the N64 in 1999 - where the hell has that come from? And, although I like them both, Mr. Driller and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo aren't much of a substitute for, say, Parappa The Rapper, or Tomb Raider II, or Crash Team Racing.

It's a console that feels like it needs a sequel! What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyMon 29 Oct 2018 - 13:57

It's a extremely odd list but I think due to the likes of PS4 remasters of Castlevania they're missing and I want to say Rainbow Six & Persona are on it due to how popular now.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyMon 29 Oct 2018 - 15:46

I'd have no idea about Persona, but that's got to be the main reason Rainbow Six is on this. That, and perhaps because there's not a lot of other PSone FPSs that could likely have been included. It's hard to think of many - the PSone wasn't that sort of console that had that sort of game. I'd have preferred DOOM or Medal of Honor Underground myself, as I remember Rainbow Six being pretty ordinary when I rented it almost twenty years ago, and being flatly dull when I bought it cheap about a decade back.

It's such a dud choice. Same goes for Battle Arena Toshinden - that's utter riff-raff when put next to any Tekken. Beyond those two, it's not a bad list, although I don't think it entirely represents the best of PlayStation.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  EmptyMon 29 Oct 2018 - 15:58

BAT does have some historical value and didn't it come with a demo disc that it might have sold well, meaning lot's may have played it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  Empty

Back to top Go down

PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next