We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas

Go down 
+6
OrangeRakoon
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyMon 29 Oct 2018 - 16:37

Historical value, aye, but not as much as about fifty other PSone games that anyone with a passing interest could name. It's absolutely rubbish too. This is the equivalent of Super Thunder Blade on all those Mega Drive collections.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyMon 29 Oct 2018 - 16:47

It's definitely not the strongest list. It's fine because of the big hitters like MGS, FF7, Resident Evil and GTA, but the lack of Crash, Spyro or Tomb Raider is noticeable. There is a definite mix of licencing issues and wanting to protect remake sales going on.

Rainbow Six is not a good game, it has aged viciously poorly. I am also reliably informed that the first Persona is not a good game.

Parappa The Rapper I thought would definitely be included, what with his use as something of a PS mascot, so I think it's the rerelease that has kept the game off this. Which is a real shame.

Personally I was hoping for Rayman 2 (over the original) and Klonoa, but alas.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyMon 29 Oct 2018 - 17:12

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
I'd have no idea about Persona, but that's got to be the main reason Rainbow Six is on this. That, and perhaps because there's not a lot of other PSone FPSs that could likely have been included. It's hard to think of many - the PSone wasn't that sort of console that had that sort of game. I'd have preferred DOOM or Medal of Honor Underground myself, as I remember Rainbow Six being pretty ordinary when I rented it almost twenty years ago, and being flatly dull when I bought it cheap about a decade back.

It's such a dud choice. Same goes for Battle Arena Toshinden - that's utter riff-raff when put next to any Tekken. Beyond those two, it's not a bad list, although I don't think it entirely represents the best of PlayStation.

Aye they have totally put Rainbow six in there because of how popular Siege is today, 35M players for all formats (as of June 2018) but the large majority of that playerbase is apparently on ps4. Also agreed on Doom or Medal of honour being a better choice.

-----

Nothing on that list jumps out at me as must play so I likely wont be getting it.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyMon 29 Oct 2018 - 18:50

Just seen this 20 games in Japan

Arc the Lad (Japan only)
Arc the Lad 2 (Japan only)
Armored Core (Japan only)
Ridge Racer Type 4
Intelligent Qube
Gradius Gaiden (Japan only)
XI (Japan only)
SaGa Frontier (Japan only)
G Darius (Japan only)
Jumping Flash
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Tekken 3
Battle Arena Toshinden
Resident Evil Director's Cut
Parasite Eve (Japan only)
Final Fantasy VII
Mr. Driller
Revelations: Persona
Metal Gear Solid
Wild Arms

I personally much prefer this list but Parasite Eve over the second one is balls.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyMon 29 Oct 2018 - 22:56

The lack of Crash, Spyro and Castlevania is understandable considering the remakes/ports situation, but I'm really surprised at the lack of any of the Tomb Raider games or anything from the Wipeout series too. Those felt like no brainers and I genuinely can't think of why they've been omitted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyTue 30 Oct 2018 - 0:14

Was interested in this system, but the full list has sucked that away. There are definitely 20 classics on the PS1 but not even half of this selection are timeless games you'll want to revisit. Wasn't Rainbow Six a PC game? I don't associate it with the PlayStation and doubt the Siege fanbase will be plonking down a hundred smackers to play it. Symphony of the Night has just released, and is just a port. Madness not to include it. Also, with Soul Calibur VI out recently, omitting Soul Blade (arguably the system's best fighter not called Tekken 3) is an oversight.

They should have just stuck the Vita/PS3's PS1 library on there - I mean, how many people are still purchasing those?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyTue 30 Oct 2018 - 7:29

I guess no Wipeout due to the Omega Collection which has the best tracks or something from past games.

Talking VITA (could say PS3 as well) community are really salty about the PS1 Classic as the PlayStation / VITA TV is smaller than this and you can play like a 100 PS1 Classic's on it.

Which is true and Ieven jokingly tweeted when all the Final Fantasy games were announced for Switch, I can play them all already like that and that goes for most of these Mini consoles like how many times have we all bought / could have played Super Mario Bros 3?
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptySun 4 Nov 2018 - 20:23

Yes - but I want to play Super Mario Bros. 3! Given that I don't have any history with the original PlayStation, I thought I might have some excitement for this; I didn't have a MegaDrive, but was mega-pleased to play through the game collection on the PS3, to catch up on the nostalgia I didn't have. However, seeing this, and with no universal praise for it, I'm-a-give this thing a miss.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptySun 4 Nov 2018 - 20:27

You can play in some way most of what the PS1 great via PS4 even if some like Res Evil 2 will be a remake and if you've got a PS3 even better due to having PS1 Classics on the store and can play PS1 games, that was my point they're better and easier ways to play some retro games.

Anyway, I'm getting mine for Christmas and will be fun playing Tekken 3 on Christmas day.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Nov 2018 - 12:34

My excitement for this has died down, maybe even flatlined. I think that I'm going to cancel my preorder for this. I've already got eight of these games on PSone, and another three on three other consoles. The nine that are left are either of half-interest (Syphon Filter, Intelligent Qube and Twisted Metal), of no interest (Wild Arms, Persona and Destruction Derby 1) or just games I don't like a lot (Battle Arena Toshinden, Cool Boarders 2 and Resident Evil 1).

Based on the feedback, I bet that Sony would love to have another go at this. On the last page, I said that it's a list 'that's not going to please everybody'; I think it's actually pleased nobody! Duh!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Nov 2018 - 12:56

Think the same sort of thing is going to happen with a N64 Classic, maybe less so but I often see people wanting Banjo, Goldeneye, No Mercy and it's just not going to happen.

I think why the NES and SNES Classic have been much better is due to Nintendo's games, when I look back at the PS1, how many games were actually Sony's?
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Nov 2018 - 13:12

Nintendo aren't going to fire Tom Clancy's Bastarding Rainbow Six onto the N64 Classic though! The N64 list is likely to be much more prescriptive and predictable. You'll get Mario, Zelda, Lylat Wars and Smash, the usual Mario spin-offs, a few arcadey racers, and if you're lucky you'll get a Bomberman on there too.

In terms of games that are actually Sonys, this list is as good a source as I can find: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Interactive_Entertainment_video_games

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Nov 2018 - 13:21

Sony have always coasted on the back quality third party games especially for the first playstation.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Nov 2018 - 14:44

The_Jaster wrote:
Sony have always coasted on the back quality third party games especially for the first playstation.

That's well harsh! True, the PlayStation library suffers a bit when you remove stuff like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and ISS Pro Evolution 2, but there's so much more to Sony's PSone that those - and the PlayStation Classic - represent.

This was close to being a quality mini console too. If you sacked Rainbow Six, Destruction Derby, Mr. Driller, Toshinden and Cool Boarders and replaced them with a Tomb Raider, a Crash Bandicoot, a Spyro The Dragon and with something like Everybody's Golf, Tombi or Kula World, I think that would have been a lot more pleasing to a lot more people - and be a far better tribute to what was an absolutely amazing console in it's day.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Nov 2018 - 15:09

That's still the thing even with the missing games from a N64 Classic, people would want. Nintendo's games will make it still decent, where I have to agree with Jas on the PS1.

When I think PS1, I don't think of Sony's games. I think of Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy etc those made PS1 great, where now with the PS4, you would say Sony's games make it great.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Nov 2018 - 15:41

The_Jaster wrote:

That's well harsh! True, the PlayStation library suffers a bit when you remove stuff like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and ISS Pro Evolution 2, but there's so much more to Sony's PSone that those - and the PlayStation Classic - represent.

This was close to being a quality mini console too. If you sacked Rainbow Six, Destruction Derby, Mr. Driller, Toshinden and Cool Boarders and replaced them with a Tomb Raider, a Crash Bandicoot, a Spyro The Dragon and with something like Everybody's Golf, Tombi or Kula World, I think that would have been a lot more pleasing to a lot more people - and be a far better tribute to what was an absolutely amazing console in it's day.

I should have added a bit more to that post because it definitely still had it's fair share of great first party games as well, but I personally just don't think it was better than other systems at that time.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Nov 2018 - 20:05

I don't think it was better than the N64 (I don't think any console is tbf), but there's literally hundreds of reasons why the PlayStation just absolutely horsed the SEGA Saturn. It's disappointing that so few of them are on this mini console though. Sad
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyTue 6 Nov 2018 - 21:40

I think it'll still sell like hotcakes based on the name brand alone, but I don't see it - as clearly evidenced by this thread - being well received at all for the games chosen. I guess having a library that's bolstered by third parties becomes a bit trickier to manage when it comes to getting those games on a mini console like this. I don't think launching whilst a lot of PS1 classics are getting the reboot treatment has helped the library one bit either.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyWed 7 Nov 2018 - 15:32

I don't think it was better than the N64 (I don't think any console is tbf), but there's literally hundreds of reasons why the PlayStation just absolutely horsed the SEGA Saturn. It's disappointing that so few of them are on this mini console though. Sad

Yeah, the N64 first party is miles better and N64 Classic will be great still without licenced games and 3rd party (which people will moan about anyway, by not having Goldeneye), where the PlayStation Classic has the complete opposite where the first party isn't good but the 3rd party is.

They're clearly hard to sort out in 2018 as I watched Scullion's video and he brings up Wipeout, well clearly the music is the issue, you would gather. From watching Chris's video, I think I will play 14 of the games on the PS1 Classic and that's not bad out of 20 games plus my dad is getting it for me for Christmas.

Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyThu 29 Nov 2018 - 11:18

You can't turn anywhere online without somebody putting the boot into the PlayStation Classic - and justifiably so, as it sounds like it's got a load of issues. It was practically unimaginable to me when this was announced that Sony would make an arse of it, but the overwhelming verdict is that they have. Me, I think I could have put up with with a lot of those reported issues had the games list been really good, but I think it's a massively missed opportunity.

I cancelled my pre-order(s), but what about youse?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyThu 29 Nov 2018 - 11:27

Sony are back to their arrogant we're the best ways that we should have seen it coming but for myself it's a bit to late, seeing my Dad has already paid for mine for Christmas but hey there isn't much I wanted for Christmas, Tekken 3 will still be fun on Christmas Day and it will sit nicely with my (unused) SNES Classic.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyFri 30 Nov 2018 - 0:25

For what it's worth Mas, I've read people say the build quality of the mini console itself is good, so it'll be good as a shelf ornament at least! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptyFri 30 Nov 2018 - 23:00

I guess if you're not paying for it then it's not the worst thing to have in your collection. As much as I'm not interested in to I'd be chuffed if I had one under the Christmas tree.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptySat 1 Dec 2018 - 20:31

Honestly, the whole thing reeks of a cash-grab. It's easier to say that now we know the emulation isn't even great (it can't emulate the games at full speed!), there's 50hz games in the package and there's the bare minimum of visual options.

But the games list wasn't the best either, and we've known for that for weeks now, even if Sony cheekily hid most of the games when it went up for preorder. It's lacking PS1-defining titles like WipEout, Tomb Raider, Symphony of the Night, Driver, Crash etc.

Anyway, I think a better alternative over throwing down £90 for this is to pick up a PS3 Super Slim for £60, or a PSP-3000 for £40. Both play a wide selection of PS1 games - there's something like 500 PS1 Classics available on the Japanese PS Store, and they have pitch perfect emulation. The latter even plays PS1 discs. To celebrate the PS1 you have to go beyond those system-defining games and look for these weird and experimental curios which were only possible at a time where it was far less risky to try new ideas, and when 3D presented a new frontier and canvas with which to make games on.

I recently bought a few more PS1 games for my PSP off the Japanese PS Store and I'm having a blast. One of those games is a hot air balloon simulator from Artdink, a developer known today for its railway simulators. Another one - The Adventure of Little Ralph - is the sort of timeless SNES++ title that the PS1 was a beast at delivering on. The PS1 is to the SNES what the DS was to the GBA, and the PS1 Classic simply doesn't speak for the platform in the same way a PS3 or PSP can.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 EmptySat 1 Dec 2018 - 20:45

Yeah, they're certainly better options that are even true with the NES and SNES Classic. like I said I've not touched my SNES Classic since Christmas 2017 but it's still a cool thing in my collection and that's how I'm viewing the PS1 Classic in the same way as that, my NES Vans, Res Evil 4 Chainsaw and any other daft gaming thing I own.

Sure it helps I'm not buying it and nothing else I really want for Christmas, I could have for asked for Ca$h, my uncle who loves Christmas moans like hell when I do that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas    PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

PlayStation Classic coming this Christmas
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next