We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NES Remix

Go down 
+14
Balladeer
JayMoyles
oldschool
Jimbob
beemoh
fronkhead
masofdas
Axis1500
shanks
Crumpy Andy
ZeroJones
Buskalilly
The Cappuccino Kid
The_Jaster
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

NES Remix  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 Jan 2014 - 20:57

Buskalilly wrote:
I did slightly better than Castle, but Mario Bros does control like absolute gash. I can't believe the Mario series lived beyond that game...

Oh, btw, at the start of the video...:
Sweet! Extra points for not making Gav.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 Jan 2014 - 23:03

Solve My Maze wrote:
I'm actually pretty tempted to pick this up based on what you guys have mentioned on here. Would I be right in saying it has that 'one more go' effect to best your previous attempt?

Oh yes. A point made elsewhere was that if Nintendo made iPhone games, they'd make this.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyThu 16 Jan 2014 - 6:37

Solve My Maze wrote:
I'm actually pretty tempted to pick this up based on what you guys have mentioned on here. Would I be right in saying it has that 'one more go' effect to best your previous attempt?

Seconded. I couldn't move on from a task until I'd got at least three stars and that is pretty rare for me. As an example, plenty of goodies were left uncollected in Rayman Legends levels. As Buska has mentioned, though, it does show up the rubbishness of controls of the era. Half the reason the Mario Bros. and Ice Climbers stages are hard, for example, is because the jumping is so thoroughly bizarre.

Last edited by ZeroJones on Mon 27 Jan 2014 - 13:00; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyThu 16 Jan 2014 - 17:02

ZeroJones wrote:
To be fair, I did overlook Cap's main point to push my own agenda. I apologise! Drama queen

Yes, you could easily list five great NES games that weren't touched. I'm busy unlocking the Bonus games and, despite my general love of retro, some of them should never have been released in the first place. Yes, I'm looking at you, Urban Champion. Aww!

Am I the only one who can't wait to play Urban Champion stages? I think I'll be retracting this post once I've played the first stage...
Back to top Go down
Rattlecat
Boo This Man .Gif
Rattlecat

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyThu 16 Jan 2014 - 18:13

I can't get over how bad Tennis is. I hit A or B and it connects with the ball and the ball just flops on the floor at my feet. WTF.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 Jan 2014 - 8:05

Positioning seems to be very important in the Tennis game. You have to be placed so that your racket will hit the ball. If it looks like it's going to hit your feet, your player won't hit it properly. Well annoying.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptySun 19 Jan 2014 - 9:38

Also, don't worry too much about the guy on the other side of the court. He's just as likely to make a mess of things as you, it seems.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Zaphod_B
Wonderful
Zaphod_B

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyTue 21 Jan 2014 - 9:12

I've been loving NES Remix but I get annoyed that there's only the random one Miiverse post by each level. No leader-boards to shoot for or wide range of post sharing the tips and tricks you need to really "get" the later challenges. I mean, I swear I'm missing something simple on the "get 10 lives while bouncing on a shell" Super Mario Bros. challenge, and I'd love to have a evening of bashing my gnarled fingers against a harder stage and seeing if I could rise from below-average to above-average on a high score board.

We should get a forum high score board going or something on here: pick a complex-ish stage or 3 for the week and see how people do if they give it a fresh shot!
Back to top Go down
Rattlecat
Boo This Man .Gif
Rattlecat

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyTue 21 Jan 2014 - 16:40

I like to get competitive with times and scores etc. I usually post my results on Miiverse and did a total time post for D.K. Add me if you like. Completely agree with you about the lack of leaderboards. Terrible oversight and as it's the same with 3D World it seems as though Nintendo believe the Miiverse is a good enough substitute. Wrong !!!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2014 - 1:09

@zaphod if you stay on a stage select screen long enough it scrolls between multiple Miiverse posts, I'm with you on the high score challenge idea as I had something similar going on over in the retro section (I think) but it fizzled out after a little while.

----

Got back to playing this today & got royally frustrated with legend of zelda stage 15, I know where I'm losing time but I can't seem to make up the difference to get three stars.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2014 - 8:51

Whilst I couldn't give a monkey's about on-line leaderboards, enough people want them for me to wonder why Nintendo never seem to bother. Meh

As for my progress, I'm close to exhausting it: after this morning, I have two challenges on SMB and two on the Bonus stages to do. The last one is a real doozy - surprisingly challenging, too!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2014 - 11:23

Not played this for a while, I got stuck on a Mario Stage it's the one where he can't stop running and you have to time your jumps jut right. I can't do it doesn't help Mario's jump is gimped.
Back to top Go down
Rattlecat
Boo This Man .Gif
Rattlecat

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2014 - 15:00

The_Jaster wrote:
@zaphod if you stay on a stage select screen long enough it scrolls between multiple Miiverse posts, I'm with you on the high score challenge idea as I had something similar going on over in the retro section (I think) but it fizzled out after a little while.

----

Got back to playing this today & got royally frustrated with legend of zelda stage 15, I know where I'm losing time but I can't seem to make up the difference to get three stars.

Just incase you didn't know, you can use the right stick to scroll through the Miiverse posts quicker. I don't get how it works though as sometimes there is just one or two posts and other times there are lots.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2014 - 23:11

masofdas wrote:
Not played this for a while, I got stuck on a Mario Stage it's the one where he can't stop running and you have to time your jumps jut right. I can't do it doesn't help Mario's jump is gimped.

Nah the jump is fine in super Mario bros that stage (I assume it's the one with the cheep cheeps) is just quite challenging.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod_B
Wonderful
Zaphod_B

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyFri 24 Jan 2014 - 0:21

Ah, you can move on Miiverse posts then. That's an improvement: I though I just had the one post per level (which made a duff squiggle really disappointing)

The_Jaster wrote:

masofdas wrote:

Nah the jump is fine in super Mario bros that stage (I assume it's the one with the cheep cheeps) is just quite challenging.

I have a trick that isn't that fast, but I found made it much easier to get around the otherwise tiny gaps: get Mario stuck on the top step at the start for a second while the first Cheep Cheeps jump. It throws off the timing and the gaps left between Cheep Cheeps for the jumps are much more generous (though the bit with 3 short platform still needs some ninja button bashing!)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyFri 24 Jan 2014 - 12:20

Yeah I get to the 3 short platforms and fail.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod_B
Wonderful
Zaphod_B

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptySun 26 Jan 2014 - 23:47

masofdas wrote:
Yeah I get to the 3 short platforms and fail.
They are just nasty! I tried to think of it as one platform in the middle, but you have to press "a" so fast I really struggled.
I'm stuck on the 10 lives Koopa shell one. I get to eight, fall off, repeat about 4 times and then go play a Wonderful 101 operation to cool off!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014 - 9:13

I've actually been advised against this by Mr. David Z. Jones. As someone who doesn't feel much fondness for Nintendo's past glories (I gave SMB a dishonourable mention in Cappa's voting thread), and who doesn't feel that beating his high score in itself is enough reward, I was told it wasn't for me. Does this sound about right? I do enjoy the Wario Ware series...
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Zaphod_B
Wonderful
Zaphod_B

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014 - 10:59

Balladeer wrote:
I've actually been advised against this by Mr. David Z. Jones.  As someone who doesn't feel much fondness for Nintendo's past glories (I gave SMB a dishonourable mention in Cappa's voting thread), and who doesn't feel that beating his high score in itself is enough reward, I was told it wasn't for me.  Does this sound about right?  I do enjoy the Wario Ware series...
I love Wario Ware, but I don't personally put this in the same ball park. To me, it feels more like little nuggets of speed-running, abusing the mechanics of the NES games to carry out those fancy manoeuvres they use. I don't think you need to enjoy the games in question to like Remix, but if your issue with them is control-based it won't go away in the challenges (*eyes up that awful Mario Bros. jump...*).
Back to top Go down
Rattlecat
Boo This Man .Gif
Rattlecat

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014 - 16:30

@Zaphod. The trick to the 10 lives in a row challenge is to not move at all. I wait until i have 3 or 4 lives and then just mash the jump button.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NES Remix    NES Remix  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

NES Remix
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3