We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you playing on your Switch?

Go down 
+18
Athrun888
shanks
The_Jaster
masofdas
OrangeRakoon
Treesmurf
Kriken
EofGizmo
fronkhead
NintenDUCK
Rum
kerr9000
Solve My Maze
Crumpy Andy
The Cappuccino Kid
Jimbob
JayMoyles
ZeroJones
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptyThu 8 Aug 2019 - 17:06

JayMoyles wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
and comparisons to a strategy game have worried me rather.

Hmm, I don't follow that comparison. It plays very similar to a 2D Zelda game in how you deal with each screen.

I mentioned it because all the enemies move and attack in different patterns, a little like chess except when you move so does your opponent but as I said above that's not all there is to the game & it'd be a real shame if you dropped it because one tiny aspect resembles a genre you aren't a fan of.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptyThu 8 Aug 2019 - 20:06

I mean, the rest is a roguelike... Razz

It's still up there amongst my current games, which means I do intend to give it another try.  I did feel the strategy beats (ho ho) when I played it though.  I ran into a screenfull of wolves very near my starting point, and it felt like with precise planning and movement and a bit of time to think about those things you could clear them all in a blaze of glory.  Of course I didn't have that time to plan and got slaughtered.

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Yes, I think it's in a weird space of being intuitive, but counter to convention. Takahashi is notably not that big into videogames in general, and I think when you realise this, you see how the controls make perfect sense. As people familiar with how the sticks are usually used, Katamari feels weird, but if you were coming to the controls for the first time you'd think "this makes sense".

That's odd, because in a way the timed high-score challenge feels like the most gamey of game concepts to me.  (Maybe not these days?)  

In other news: the story cut-scenes with the cuboid kids.  They're just so, so Japan.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptyThu 15 Aug 2019 - 12:14

Played a bit of Giv VI the other night.

The load times are awful but once you get into a game then it's fine. Just I don't know how much I'm going to play off this with lack of goals, which I think I'll go into more detail when I'm done with the game.

Still considering what I traded in for it and the other game I got, then it be decent trade-in or sell on eBay.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptyFri 16 Aug 2019 - 23:23

I need to avoid buying CIV VI if I ever want to speak to another human being again. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptySat 17 Aug 2019 - 14:02

masofdas wrote:
Giv VI
Ah, that sounds nice! You win by being charitable to your neighbours.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptyMon 19 Aug 2019 - 20:39

Like a strategy version of Undertale... I’d be interested in that!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptyTue 10 Sep 2019 - 15:28

Having finished Overcooked bar plugging through the random nonsense final boss to get the non-ending scene, we've moved onto Overcooked 2. Bit of a step up eh? The presentation's an instant improvement, as is (oddly) the punctuation. It's like the final version of a GameJam game.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptyTue 10 Sep 2019 - 20:25

Astral Chain real soon, I promise
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptyTue 10 Sep 2019 - 23:35

I'm plugging away at Aggelos in short bursts at the moment. I bought it based on Eurogamer's glowing review a wee while back. It's a good game, though I WISH it had a decent map.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptyThu 12 Sep 2019 - 9:53

I was going to say that I'd never heard of Aggelos until you posted that, Rum - then I realised that I did recognise the screenshots. Metroidvania I presume? (In other words, a genre that absolutely needs a decent map.) Looks a bit Wonder Boy-ish.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptyThu 12 Sep 2019 - 9:56

Still running about in Astral Chain with a bit of River city girls on the side
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptyThu 12 Sep 2019 - 11:13

Definitely interested in hearing more about Aggelos
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptyFri 13 Sep 2019 - 11:19

Just gave the Contra Rogue corp demo a bash which is very brief but it's not bad, likely not worth 40 quid but I can see me picking it up if it ever goes on sale for like half price. The visuals are terrible though and they probably should have taken another year or so to polish it up.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptyWed 18 Sep 2019 - 11:38

Balladeer wrote:
I was going to say that I'd never heard of Aggelos until you posted that, Rum - then I realised that I did recognise the screenshots.  Metroidvania I presume?  (In other words, a genre that absolutely needs a decent map.)  Looks a bit Wonder Boy-ish.

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Definitely interested in hearing more about Aggelos

It's sort of a Metroidvania-lite, as the dungeons and the world map are nowhere near as complicated as they would typically be - but there is still some to-ing and fro-ing and the map just... isn't a map.

What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 20180710

The list of blue squares on the left are a list of teleport points, which you can use via an item obtained after the second dungeon, though I only stumbled across it rather than actually being directed to it by the game. Either way, it makes travelling around a little easier.

I think it is Wonder-Boy ish, though I've never played Wonder Boy - I'm just going off comparisons from game reviewers. It's fun 2D platforming and it has neat little weapon and armour upgrades, though I've reached the third dungeon and I feel like there's been quite an abrupt difficulty spike. Annoying. Neutral
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptySun 22 Sep 2019 - 15:11

Just gave the Ori & the blind forest demo a go and it's good stuff especially that stunning art style (screenshots don't do it justice) BUT with me already having another Metroidvania in Blasphemous I might wait until towards the end of the year before I pick it up.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptySun 22 Sep 2019 - 18:51

1. Our quotes auto-refer now! Shocked

2. I really want to pick up Ori, but simply don't know when I'll get a chance to play it considering everything else.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptySun 6 Oct 2019 - 13:58

Ooh - ooh - I'm finally playing Baba is You. I'm sort-of doing OK, but I don't always feel like I understand some of the "Is" rules - i.e. whether they're harmful or beneficial.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptySun 6 Oct 2019 - 18:11

Woo! Are you enjoying it Jim? (Maybe answer that in the BIY thread. Shifty ) The rules do require you to wrap your head in circles a bit.

Our quotes no longer auto-refer. Not sure what that brief turn was. Meh Anyway, I'm playing DQXI, Link's Awakening, and probably SWH for now. Not sure what's up next. Little Town Hero maybe? So much great stuff...
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptySun 29 Dec 2019 - 12:30

With both Luigi's Mansion and Pokémon beat I'm gonna pay a bit more attention to Super Lucky's Tale which I've been dabbling in and out of until now. It's really good, looks like it's gonna be overlooked. Levels can vary from 3D platformers to side scrolling 2.5D and it does both styles really well. Difficulty hasn't been too high so far but like any decent platformer it seems to scale it up a bit if you want to collect everything, overall though I'd say it's good fun and well worth the budget price I paid for it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptySun 29 Dec 2019 - 12:57

It was certainly overlooked on Xbox where it also didn't review well but has on Switch.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptySun 29 Dec 2019 - 13:40

One of the many games I've thought I'd enjoy if only I had the time...

I'm coming to the end of LM3, and think I'll try and crack on with a JRPG of some sort since I have four to choose from. Dragon Quest XI, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Ni No Kuni, or (soon) Tokyo Mirage Sessions? Any thoughts? (Not you Cappajas.)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptySun 29 Dec 2019 - 13:43

Get on NNK
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptySun 29 Dec 2019 - 13:46

Balladeer wrote:
One of the many games I've thought I'd enjoy if only I had the time...  

I'm coming to the end of LM3, and think I'll try and crack on with a JRPG of some sort since I have four to choose from.  Dragon Quest XI, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Ni No Kuni, or (soon) Tokyo Mirage Sessions?  Any thoughts?  (Not you Cappajas.)

If it helps which I'm sure it won't but Super Lucky's Tale was going nicely alongside LM3 and Pokémon at the same time as it's very easy to dip in and out of. As for the JRPG question I'd go for Dragon Quest personally although I've not played any of them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptySun 29 Dec 2019 - 14:51

After discovering today that, thanks to Smurf, I do in fact have a Nintendo Online account at the moment, I downloaded the SNES games and had a bash on starfox while listening to a Star Wars podcast.
This was my first time playing the original, and its actually still pretty fun to play. I'd heard bad things about it but I was blown away. This was also my first opportunity to play any Starfox since I visited Fushimi Inari last year (and this year, actually) so it was very emotionally satisfying.

I also finally beat the 200cc staff ghost on Bone Dry Desert, which I've been bashing against for literal months. I roared with victory when I managed that one.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 EmptySun 29 Dec 2019 - 17:33

Ah, so I don't need to boot Mas out of my line-up, then. Laughing

Balladeer wrote:

I'm coming to the end of LM3, and think I'll try and crack on with a JRPG of some sort since I have four to choose from.  Dragon Quest XI, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Ni No Kuni, or (soon) Tokyo Mirage Sessions?  Any thoughts?  (Not you Cappajas.)

DQXI is meant to be pretty darn special, so that'll do you nicely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you playing on your Switch?   What are you playing on your Switch? - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you playing on your Switch?
Page 25 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next