We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3

Go down 
+11
The Cappuccino Kid
OrangeRakoon
Treesmurf
Crumpy Andy
gjones
ZeroJones
Jimbob
The_Jaster
Muss
JayMoyles
masofdas
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19 ... 30  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyMon 19 Nov 2018 - 16:08

Why change when they were first to have two sticks, if others do it different, why should they suddenly copy it? When you can't say it hasn't been successful for PlayStation and the only thing I don't like about Xbox now is the controller.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyMon 19 Nov 2018 - 16:43

It's less about the stick placement (I'm fine with off set or side by side) and more about the shell design/comfort for me, so why should they change it? It's an old design that has been improved on over the years, look at most high end pro controllers or those scufs that I showed there's a reason they use that shape for the shell - it gives you better grip and overall comfort.

Also I've had a Nacon wired controller for my ps4 for a few months now and I honestly don't miss the DS4.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyMon 19 Nov 2018 - 16:44

OrangeRakoon wrote:
iconic

inigomontoya.png

That word gets bandied around a lot where it doesn't apply nowadays, and I think this is one of those times. I struggle to remember the shape of the Dualshock; and no I'm not a PS gamer, but I remember what their rainbow PS logo looks like, or Lara, or Crash. Those are their icons, not the Dualshock. Heck, I'd say the only iconic controller out there is the Wiimote, and that's because it pretty much changed how everybody in the world looked at games, at least for a while.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyMon 19 Nov 2018 - 16:55

Like you say Jas it's all personal but I do find the Dual Shock 4 to be the second best controller ever (Six Axis is one of the worst, though) and OR is right it's a iconic design of 24 years of gaming.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyMon 19 Nov 2018 - 16:59

The big question, then: what's more iconic? The Dualshock, or...

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 Ap1lZsO
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyMon 19 Nov 2018 - 17:11

masofdas wrote:
Like you say Jas it's all personal but I do find the Dual Shock 4 to be the second best controller ever (Six Axis is one of the worst, though) and OR is right it's a iconic design of 24 years of gaming.

I just don't see anyone say it's one of their favourites (apart from you right now, natch) ever, it's always xbox or something from Nintendo.

---

Anyhow, if the console world was perfect it'd just let me use the Switch pro controller on everything, that thing is the Grand papi of them all.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyMon 19 Nov 2018 - 17:18

I've seen it in a few Top 10 lists etc but not near the top mainly due to battery life and the light bar, which does let it down but not in the terms of use.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyMon 19 Nov 2018 - 17:35

My favourite controller is currently the Switch Pro Controller - comfortable, great layout and an incredible battery life on that bad boy too. I've got a lot of time for the 360 pad as well for nailing the layout and I enjoyed using the triggers on that controller.

I'll second - or third, or fourth, I guess - the criticisms of the DualShock 4. I think its battery life is piss poor and I don't find it particularly comfortable to hold either. The position of the sticks is fine, but I do prefer the offset layout like the 360 pad. Still, I don't think they'll abandon it. A controller plays a big part in differentiating consoles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyTue 20 Nov 2018 - 14:42

Balladeer wrote:
OrangeRakoon wrote:
iconic

inigomontoya.png

That word gets bandied around a lot where it doesn't apply nowadays, and I think this is one of those times. I struggle to remember the shape of the Dualshock; and no I'm not a PS gamer, but I remember what their rainbow PS logo looks like, or Lara, or Crash. Those are their icons, not the Dualshock. Heck, I'd say the only iconic controller out there is the Wiimote, and that's because it pretty much changed how everybody in the world looked at games, at least for a while.

I think this /is/ your Nintendo bias to be fair Balla! You can get dualshock cufflinks and belt buckles, it's very recognisable and immediately associated with playstation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyWed 21 Nov 2018 - 20:56

why would you want to though

I think my view as a non-Sony gamer gives me a better view of what's iconic, actually. Nah nah! Nah seriously, it probably comes down to what audience you're talking about and how you define the word, but for me it doesn't pass muster. I reckon that your average Jo on the street would recognise Master Chief's Helmet, or the Sony logo, or Pikachu's ears... but not the Dualshock so much. I might be wrong though.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyWed 21 Nov 2018 - 23:12

Balladeer wrote:
I reckon that your average Jo on the street would recognise Master Chief's Helmet, or the Sony logo, or Pikachu's ears... but not the Dualshock so much.  I might be wrong though.

I think you'd be wrong on that, at least in the UK. The PS1 was massive here, as was the PS2. I think most non-gamers would have the DualShock come to mind if they were asked to visualise a video game controller.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyWed 21 Nov 2018 - 23:19

If you think about it all PlayStation's have had basically the same controller so that's 435m of them worldwide at least, that yeah compared to any other controller part from maybe the Wiimote, it be the most recognisable.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyThu 22 Nov 2018 - 8:35

That’s kind of been my point though: how recognisable is any controller?  Would they not envision an old-style joystick?  Or am I just old?  I might be just old.

Anyway, I might be wrong.  I’m not an average Jo on the street when it comes to gaming.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyThu 22 Nov 2018 - 9:38

I think you might have been right about a joystick 20 years ago but I think even the avg Joe would know something about gaming this day and age.

With statistics the Dual Shock would be the most recognisable controller to them, due to it's sheer numbers and endurance.

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyThu 22 Nov 2018 - 13:34

You're wrong on this one balla. The Dualshock might be shit but its iconic. Just like Mickey Mouse.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyThu 22 Nov 2018 - 14:34

So the question is, should that stop them from using a design that is proven to be more comfortable?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyThu 22 Nov 2018 - 15:02

It's personal preference but if PS5 and Scarlett have the same controllers as now, then for me the Dual Shock 5 would be the better controller and they shouldn't chuck away the legacy of the Dual Shock because some prefer another shape, when there will be people like me who prefer the Dual Shock.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyThu 22 Nov 2018 - 19:54

I've been convinced. Seems the default position is that it's bad iconic though. Like Trump's hair/'hair'.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyThu 22 Nov 2018 - 20:29

Does on here but I would be annoyed if it was changed with the PS5 and I think most of the PlayStation fanbase would as well.

I guess Disney fans would feel the same if they suddenly went Elsa is now our mascot.

Last edited by masofdas on Thu 22 Nov 2018 - 21:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyThu 22 Nov 2018 - 21:14

I assume you mean if it was changed there. Laughing Anyhow I think we have all said our piece on this so onward with other random thoughts.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyThu 22 Nov 2018 - 22:19

I'm sure this has come up before on the forum somewhere, but have you ever had a moment in which you've been playing a game and thought "oh fuck oh fuck I REALLY hope nobody walks in just now as I cannot explain what's happening on screen"?

Because I certainly did yesterday evening. (warning, NSFW, seriously)

This was not what I thought Yakuza 0 would be like. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyFri 23 Nov 2018 - 13:31

Nah, but you know I don't have a sense of shame Laughing
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptyFri 23 Nov 2018 - 21:19

I mean sure, but I've still no clue how I'd go about explaining that linked video. Would you just shrug something like that off? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptySat 24 Nov 2018 - 8:44

I guess Id lean into it and make a joke of it? "Phwoar, look at the knocks on her!" Then I'd go off on a big feminist treatise about it, just to keep them guessing.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 EmptySat 24 Nov 2018 - 15:59

Never really had that as games close to it like Dead or Alive 3, I know I got it for Christmas with my OG Xbox and would have played it multiplayer with Dad, Uncle or Cousins and I would think they would think it's a fighting game with a teen rating that it's going to have buxom women.

I had a thought seeing we were talking next gen with Dual Shock 5 and more rumours on both consoles, what do you think about service based games or ongoing games as The Game Awards call them, like will we just get Overwatch, Minecraft, Rainbow Six, GTA Online come over to PS5 and Scarlett?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3
Page 8 of 30Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19 ... 30  Next