We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread

Go down 
+18
Zaphod_B
masofdas
Solve My Maze
LikesVideoGames
Treesmurf
fronkhead
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
Axis1500
Jimbob
Balladeer
ZeroJones
JayMoyles
Crumpy Andy
beemoh
Admin
Dusty Knackers
The Cappuccino Kid
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Zaphod_B
Wonderful
Zaphod_B

GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyWed 16 Apr 2014 - 11:15

Does the "hot-seat" style multiplayer still work fine in the VC version of Advance Wars? (I'd assume it does, I don't recall it needing anything special and I think it was present from the first game in the series?).
Other than AW, which I only played on emulator back in 't day, I have all of the games and a DS original to play 'em on, but I'm always glad for more re-releases on VC! Wish they'd get some more titles up there mind. The Wii VC released much more rapidly, and while quite barebones, they could always do a cheaper release and add a quid to the cost when they get round to adding pixel smoothing, manual scans and save states and such. I wonder with this slow speed the N64 is ever going to get a fresh look in at VC on Wii U?
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyWed 16 Apr 2014 - 11:56

It appears to be there though I've not actually tried it yet.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon 26 May 2014 - 23:19

So, one of the areas I've severely been lacking in my Nintendo fandom is that I've never played a Metroid game. So, I played Super Metroid.

Wow. What a baptism of fire. I was so lost and confused. I've moved on to Other M for the time being.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyTue 27 May 2014 - 0:37

Axis1500 wrote:
I've moved on to Other M for the time being.

Try Metroid Prime instead. Or Metroid Fusion on the GBA - I'd rate them as being better jumping on points for the franchise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyTue 27 May 2014 - 0:45

JayMoyles wrote:
Axis1500 wrote:
I've moved on to Other M for the time being.

Try Metroid Prime instead. Or Metroid Fusion on the GBA - I'd rate them as being better jumping on points for the franchise.

Agreed. Fusion especially as in my opinion its less confusing than Super Metroid.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyTue 27 May 2014 - 0:56

Nothing wrong with Other M, except for the story/cutscenes.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyTue 27 May 2014 - 1:02

andyman949 wrote:
Nothing wrong with Other M, except for the story/cutscenes.

...which is a pretty huge flaw. Metroid is great because of how isolated you feel and how the story is conveyed without the need for cutscenes. Other M shat all over that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyTue 27 May 2014 - 1:09

The gameplay is really good though. I can't say I've ever been too bothered by any story in Metroid so it was easy enough for me to ignore.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyTue 27 May 2014 - 1:21

TBH I wasn't all that bothered about the game play and I'm a big Metroid fan, maybe I didn't play enough of it but it just didn't feel right to me.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyTue 27 May 2014 - 12:36

I didn't enjoy the gameplay of Other M. Felt more linear than other Metroids, and while I don't get the story hate for the title, where the story meets the collecting of upgrades ruins the gameplay for me, despite being fundamentally the same as in previous games (reach location -> get upgrade), the notion that I already have the item needed to progress but can't use it annoys me.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyWed 28 May 2014 - 22:45

I did enjoy the gameplay of Other M, but the story was so unnecessarily jarring and abrasive that I have no wish to play it again.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyThu 29 May 2014 - 8:16

Traded Other M in as soon as I got 100% on it. Very few good things came of it. Also, backing Fusion as a good Metroid game to start with - a much more charged story with a smaller running time.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptySun 1 Jun 2014 - 16:02

Does anyone have Golden Sun GBA in cartridge form? I've been itching to know whether the instruction booklet's in colour or not (as far as I remember, Nintendo-published European GBA games all had black and white manuals), and I'd hugely appreciate if someone could confirm it for me. This is because the Wii U VC version is bundled with a colour manual, but other games are in black and white (like Advance Wars), so I'm wondering whether Nintendo have finally stopped scanning in the black and white originals and are now doing the right thing that is finding the original documents and using them instead...

That aside, I'm disappointed that Kuru Kuru Kururin still hasn't made its way to GBA Virtual Console, even if I understand why Nintendo are prioritising more popular titles over it.

Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptySun 1 Jun 2014 - 17:14

Yep, it's in colour.

I even took a photo for you!:
Back to top Go down
Zaphod_B
Wonderful
Zaphod_B

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyTue 3 Jun 2014 - 9:28

Not only was it in colour it came with a fold-out colour map, that you could fill in with the locations of the last few places in the game (I'm too stingy/too-at-work to provide a picture!)

I would recommend Prime for a Metroid starter, but only because I started there and they remain some of my favourite games ever made! I still bounced off Super Metroid once after that, but going back post Zero Mission/Fusion and I found it much less overwhelming.
Other M was ok, but I found the story intrusive (lots of cut-scenes popping in, it locked out where you could go, the atmosphere was constantly broken) as well as generally rubbish. Plus there was the occasional "point-at-that-alien-grub...NO NOT THAT PIXEL, THE ONE TO THE RIGHT!!!" sections that raised my frustrations to hair tearing levels, spoiling any good bits that followed.

That said, I thought the stab-dodge-to-power-up thing was a great idea, made some combat a lovely ballet of plasma death at it's best!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyFri 13 Jun 2014 - 7:14

Free Dr. Kawashima, for the four of us who haven't played it before. I am one of those four.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyFri 13 Jun 2014 - 9:03

Balladeer wrote:
Free Dr. Kawashima, for the four of us who haven't played it before.  I am one of those four.

Available now?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyFri 13 Jun 2014 - 9:26

Ayup! Downloaded it last night. It's fighting with six other Wii U games for playtime, though. "Wii U has no games..." Laughing 
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyFri 13 Jun 2014 - 10:11

*sees another of the naff thread titles I've come up with, acknowledges irony of comments to Balladeer in Splatoon thread*

~

I've always quite rated Brain Training - I was playing the DS original as recently as last summer. True, I don't feel there's any intrinsic value to much of it, but it's decent for a ten minute Sudoku or a quick math-problem session. Nice freebie.

I'm planning on getting the Pac-Man Collection that was just released on the GBA Virtual Console yesterday. It's available at a discount (costs £3.75 this week), features four games I'm fairly fond of and IIRC was quite well received by NGC back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon 7 Jul 2014 - 10:24

One thing's caught my eye this week: Pop 'n' Twinbee, which I mostly remember for Jimbob posting its brilliant soundtrack (in the wrong music thread DAMN YOU! ). It's £5.49: any views on whether that'd be worth getting? It seems quite short.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon 7 Jul 2014 - 12:17

Noticed that too. Wouldn't mind it being short given the genre, so my question is: how replayable is it?

Edit: "This is the European version of the game, which was originally optimised by the developer to play music at a speed similar to the US version. Gameplay, demos and animations run at PAL speed. The aspect ratio has been corrected for this release."

Oh.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon 7 Jul 2014 - 13:10

I've got the SNES cartridge, and remember quite enjoying it. I've only played through it once though. I'll give it another go and report back ahead of Thursday.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon 7 Jul 2014 - 20:26

Yeah I remember it being okay.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyWed 9 Jul 2014 - 23:01

Kuru Kuru Kururin
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 EmptyWed 9 Jul 2014 - 23:48

Kuru Kuru Kururin is the game I most regret ever trading in. Just need that pesky Wii U first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread   GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

GNamer All-Singing, All-Dancing, Haven't-I-Seen-You-Before (Possibly Several Times) Wii U Virtual Console Thread
Page 5 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next