We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread

Go down 
+18
Vidofnir
Treesmurf
Solve My Maze
Athrun888
beemoh
Jimbob
fronkhead
Sentinator
Crumpy Andy
shanks
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
Rum
masofdas
ZeroJones
The Cappuccino Kid
JayMoyles
Balladeer
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 8 Oct 2014 - 6:30

Smash Run? Don't understand it. I spend ages running around the maze, beating as many enemies as I can, preparing for something that is randomly assigned.

Aspects of Smash Run (just being safe with the spoils):

Further secret character unlocked:

What's really needed, for me, is a set of instructions as to how to unlock the secret characters but not who they unlock. If anyone could point me to one of them, that'd be crazy awesome.

Last edited by ZeroJones on Wed 8 Oct 2014 - 6:31; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added the word 'secret' (of mana))
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 8 Oct 2014 - 8:14

Is there a certain way to acquire 3 types of custom outfits?
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 8 Oct 2014 - 9:11

I just got mine from Classic mode, think I got a few bits from the challenges and smash run too.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 8 Oct 2014 - 9:13

So we can all agree that Smash 3DS' big new idea is a duffer, then. Sad

ZeroJones wrote:
What's really needed, for me, is a set of instructions as to how to unlock the secret characters but not who they unlock. If anyone could point me to one of them, that'd be crazy awesome.

If you keep playing vs. matches, you should be able to unlock all of them. Failing that, here's IGN's list:

How to unlock:
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 8 Oct 2014 - 15:17

Balladeer wrote:

I like Smash Run a lot. I think it should have been online compatible, but the madness of it encapsulates Smash for me. Who cares if it all comes down to the last battle - a hotly contested 10 stock epic could come down to whoever gets a golden hammer. I wish there were more diversity in the enemies as it feels like I'm playing Kid Icarus at points, but then a Starman and two Koffing turn up to snap me out of my doldrums. So no, we don't all agree. Balladeer
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 8 Oct 2014 - 15:21

I stand corrected! Laughing I'm glad you're enjoying it, Jay, although I disagree with your Golden Hammer example.  (It's all about the build-up there: Smash Run is like building up for a marathon by pulling faces at a mirror.)  Have you found some friends to play it with, or are you just taking on the CPUs?

Oh, and what enemies would you like to see in later instalments? I'd love a scorpion from Animal Crossing, more dark-type Pokémon, and Mechons from Xenoblade, among others.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 8 Oct 2014 - 15:57

Just the CPUs - I've played a fair bit of it though going for the "finish 1st in Smash Run with all characters" challenge.

Less Kid Icarus enemies really!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 8 Oct 2014 - 18:23

Double posting, I know, but is anyone game for some Smash right now? I'll set up a room and hang about for a bit.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 8 Oct 2014 - 21:10

JayMoyles wrote:
Balladeer wrote:

I like Smash Run a lot. I think it should have been online compatible, but the madness of it encapsulates Smash for me. Who cares if it all comes down to the last battle - a hotly contested 10 stock epic could come down to whoever gets a golden hammer. I wish there were more diversity in the enemies as it feels like I'm playing Kid Icarus at points, but then a Starman and two Koffing turn up to snap me out of my doldrums. So no, we don't all agree. Balladeer

Yaaay I'm not alone, I must say a big smile appeared on my face when I had to fight a bulborb, hammer bro & a flame chomp.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyWed 8 Oct 2014 - 22:31

Oh no, that makes me smile. Most of the early portion of the Smash Run does, in fact. It's when it goes down to the one-minute fight at the end that makes my smile vanish faster than someone on the end of Little Mac's KO punch.

I just beat Classic on 8.5 (no continues) with many uses of that very move, actually. 9.0, your time is coming...
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 9 Oct 2014 - 3:16

I beat 9.0 tonight actually - Captain Falcon led the way. Had a few hairy moments but I'd learned Master Core's patterns so managed to dodge most of his moves.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 9 Oct 2014 - 6:42

Well, looks like I'm never going to even get to try online because, as per usual, when my internet isn't what's fucking up it's nintendo themselves with poor coding.  After trying to get a for glory match literally twelve times and being greeted with error-code-018-0516 every single time I'm just going to give up.

Granted I was probably going to have lag anyway because I very much doubt with the crap upload speed and ping I have (25 ping average and about 0.80mps upload) I probably can expect input lag all the time (and forget playing marth or shulk with input lag, good luck landing any counters or tipping someone ever), but given I've never even got to try this internet I can't say for sure.  

I want to be all positive and all "ooh this newcomer is so awesome omg I'm in love" but after this I'm frankly so pissed off I wish I hadn't even bothered picking the game up over the many other games and entertainment I could have picked up and left it until some other time.  First brawl had the most hidious input lag I've ever seen on my previous isp, and now years later when I've considerably upgraded I can't even try the new online, and in a game where the online is a large part of the content to boot.  This is why I mostly stick to single player games folks, and I won't be making the same mistake again.  

I could say more but I think I've got my annoyance across.  Evil or Very Mad   Doubly annoying given I somehow got suckered in by the hype. And with that I'm going to play tales of xillia 2 instead.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 9 Oct 2014 - 8:02

I tried 9.0 with Bowser but got done in the end and finished on 8.5. When I try 9.0 again I'll probably try it with DK or Ganondorf
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 9 Oct 2014 - 9:37

Athrun, you're overexaggerating massively. You have a rubbish Internet, as you say yourself: you should have known this was coming. Naughty I had the same problem as you, nobody to play in local with, and I still love the game.

As for 9.0, I think I'm going to need somebody with a counter move. Easier than trying to down-dodge or air-dodge the Core's attacks. Mac is one good choice: Marth might be another.

I actually find the swords to be by far the hardest bit. Many of their attacks are almost impossible to fully dodge. The beast is pretty easy in comparison.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 9 Oct 2014 - 10:38

Yeah that's a bit much, Like I said when I first got the Japanese version all I ever got was the error when trying to get online for the first few days, then it went fine.
Same with the Aus version and my net isn't the best either and yet I can still get on with no issues or lag
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 9 Oct 2014 - 13:15

Yeah, got to agree with the others here Athrun - the online isn't fantastic, but if you have crap Internet it's only going to exaggerate the problem. I've been able to have a good solid series of matches with folks online, as most seem to want to hang around if there's no lag in your matches.

Balla, for 9.0, I'd suggest bringing in someone who's got strong air attacks. You'll need it for the sword. If you can get to the sword with 2 stocks, then just rush it. You'll probably lose a stock, but you'll mop it up soon after and then you're just left with your clone and he's somewhat of a pushover anyway.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 9 Oct 2014 - 14:34

Surprisingly, many of Mac's punches can hit the swords, and countering the final blow of the five-sword slash does serious damage too. But Marth or his clone seem like they might be better bets.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 9 Oct 2014 - 15:17

Yeah, Lucina is likely the better shout - not having to worry about tipping your attacks means you'll have more time to dodge. Or, you can show him your moves like I did and wreck him with the Cap. Falcon Punch
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 9 Oct 2014 - 16:02

Balladeer wrote:
Athrun, you're overexaggerating massively.  You have a rubbish Internet, as you say yourself: you should have known this was coming. Naughty I had the same problem as you, nobody to play in local with, and I still love the game.

If the game simply didn't play without lag I would be able to tolerate it, but the fact is the only times I tried brawls online which I was able to get matches on consistently was on a previous isp which was faaaaaaaaar worse.  On that old isp my ping was between 60 and 80 on a good day (on a bad day it exceeded 120 if I recall rightly) and my upload speed peaked at a massive 0.12mbps.  Oh, and my download capped at around 2.0mbps, yet I was able to get matches consistently.  They were awful things with horrendous input lag that resulted in a phobia of online games that persists to this day to the point I haven't even tried online games since then, sure, but I actually got them.  Yet here on a game with supposedly better netcode and on an isp that has almost quadrupled my upload and ping quality I can't even connect to online matches.  

So I guess what's really got my gears in a grind is I was planning on testing my connection with this game, but of course that plan's in the scrapyard now I keep getting a completely unsolvable error code which very possibly isn't because of my internet.  What can I say, it's the small things in life that usually rile me the most.  Still, better this than the far grosser other thing I could be upset about right now.  

Despite all that I did actually play some of the game and have some fun, especially at the pokemon trainer's trophy description.  Other non-rant tidbits: shulk isn't as fun as I thought he was going to be, I've since dumped him for little mac who despite his noob friendly nature I hope to get better with.  All star mode is fun and I'm liking it better than brawls version.  Classic not so much, could do with being the full ten rounds.  It's not bad or anything, just a tad short.  I just start getting in to the mood and then it ups and ends, which is a shame because I like the change to the setup of it with the stage selections and such like.  Also trophy run is fun and addicting.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 9 Oct 2014 - 16:43

Ah, so it's getting on at all that's the issue.  Yep, I consistently get that code too, and I don't think that's just my connection (an online search turned up many such complaints).  You did sound a bit "stomping off to play something else" towards the end of that post, though.

Shulk is really disappointing, and in retrospect that's not so surprising I guess.  After all, how can you put predicting the future into a competitive multiplayer game, except as a counter?  And bar his sword, he's a pretty normal bloke, which is par for the JRPG hero course.  Any of the other characters from Xenoblade would potentially have been more interesting - using a fat gun that can heal or hurt, Riki's library of status ailments, Pikmin-like magic orbs, Flower Blossom, mechanoid powers, or just being a towering man-mountain.  Disappointing stuff.

As for Classic, I think that it's the perfect length for a portable game.  I'd expect a more complete mode in the Wii U version.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 9 Oct 2014 - 17:54

Finally spending a bit of time on this, and it's amazingly good - I'm really surprised how well it's turned out (and this is without having tried the online yet!).
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptyThu 9 Oct 2014 - 18:28

Cap has posted my current thinking. Very Happy

Massive thanks to Balla for providing the requested list. Bounce
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptySat 11 Oct 2014 - 12:20

Sakurai speaks out about clones.

It sounds like a tiny amount of work went into each one, so we're not missing out much. That doesn't stop me from thinking that they should have been kept as costumes, to avoid choosing them separately when picking "random" and being forced to complete modes as them to finish challenges; but there you go.

Speaking of challenges, it's time for another controversial Ballapinion: they're poor. Not all of them: challenges like "beat Classic on 9.0" or "beat four Cruel Mêlée-ers" encourage players to challenge (ha!) themselves, and that's well and good. But far too many of them are "finish this mode with every character", and that's just dull. If it weren't Smash, a franchise I love with an unhealthy pattern, there's no way I'd be slogging through finishing Classic, All-Star, 100-Man, and Smash Run with everybody. Even using the Golden Hammers (not really an option when I get so few Streetpass hits), there's at least one of those four that needs doing.

This was a problem in Brawl as well, but you had an extra two hammers for the top tier of challenges there.
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptySat 11 Oct 2014 - 14:37

I would actually now back the inclusion of clones. Ill explain before you all throw rocks at me.

Fighting games usually try and balance their roster, obviously. With more characters this becomes harder and harder to do. Including more fighting styles increases the chance of making one fighter marginalized.
Now think of Street Fighter, the difference between Ryu and Ken is quite small, so both are successful. At the same time people who have mastered one can use the other at a high level.

In Smash we see the more 'balanced' characters get clones for several reasons. One, is that clones are made from extremely refined movesets, take Fox for example. All his moves have fluid animation and distinct purposes, with Falco we see this tweaked to an extent which Fox players still enjoy with no risk of a new moveset which is both clumbsy and unbalanced. A slower laser promotes thoughtful use balanced by a meteor smash to his down air, these small changes ensure a different play experience and yet do not change what is the best counter to the character, bringing... balance.

Two, Mario is a great example for this. In melee Mario was my fave, great all round balance and no moves that were defunct. Come Brawl he recieved Fludd, also having some moves switched around. What Dr. Mario brings to SSB4 is melee Mario, In addition to this the new Mario is not left useless by his better speed.

I think what we see in smash 4 is a good use of clones. When looking at new fighters some movesets just lack that bit of fluidity or thought, I think Palutena and Mega Man display this best. The replication of more 'core' styles of play such as Marth, Mario and Pit is an excellent defence against against unbalance and it will always be utilized by the top fighting games.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 EmptySat 11 Oct 2014 - 14:52

You're talking competitive Smash, Vido, which may as well be a foreign language to me.  I guess that the acid test is whether competitive Mêlée players make frequent use of the six clones on offer.

However, there is no defence for:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread   Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Super Smash Bros. 3D-Specific Thread
Page 11 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next