We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII

Go down 
+17
Muss
gjones
oldschool
Dead Lemon
Treesmurf
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
Jimbob
fronkhead
Balladeer
Admin
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
Athrun888
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyThu 18 Aug 2016 - 18:47

Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 Original

Last night I started and finished Bound on PS4, the game is one of these artsy indies but with actual platforming. It's not the best platforming by any means but does add more of a game around the central films whilst you play as ballerina with some of the best animation in gaming.

The rest of the game is nice part from one thing which I won't go into because spoilers, out of the recent of indies I've played this is better then Beyond Eyes but worse then ABZU.

7/10
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyThu 18 Aug 2016 - 23:39

Ratchet & Clank (PS4)

So I beat this in the early hours this morning, all the characters have a fun charm to them - Clank especially was a big favourite & the weapons are great to use but I just wish the game leaned more to the exploring platformer side of things rather it's shooting side.

It done this once about almost half way into the game on a planet called Gaspar & it was by far my favourite level in the game, fun overall but I think most games journalists blew this up to be much better than it actually is.

Score:

🐷 out of 🐷
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptySat 20 Aug 2016 - 1:22

Golden Sun

Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 Hqdefault

Slow to get going, poor at explaining itself and text heavy, Golden Sun nevertheless manages to be a lot of fun. The combat system is very rich - I might go so far as to say "the Bravely Default of its day" - with numerous bonuses and joys to find if you experiment with different combinations of stat- and magic-boosting sprites called 'Djinn'. Storyline OK to good, though the game really is just getting into its stride when the credits roll. Ho hum.

14/20
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptySat 20 Aug 2016 - 13:16

Hatoful Boyfriend

Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 Latest?cb=20150417064919

Hmmm.

Spoiler:

14/20
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyTue 23 Aug 2016 - 22:41

Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7w0-g2IqrNjRNj_IvcBugVaTAQKgI6CKTQLN12hNxou3FTPhJ

I just beat the final boss in Ape Escape 2, a PS2 Classic on PS4. I suggested that everybody go download it in another thread, before I'd played it for the first time in over a decade. Aye, well, nostalgia is a bastart. The gadgets, locations, unlockables and especially the music aren't as good as I remembered, and the camera and controls definitely shows the game's age ...but still, it has a very unique personality that makes it just about makes it worth a download, if you're into your 3D platformers. Just understand that it's 2016, and not 2003. I rate it a low-ish 7/10.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyWed 24 Aug 2016 - 11:16

I'm struggling with older cameras, that's for sure. It is mighty hard to get into Donkey Kong 64 when you have to wrestle with the camera during timed challenges and such. DAMN YOU! Rose-tinted glasses falling off... Anyway, I came here for this.

Nova-111

Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 2015-08-26-114359

A neat RTS with a big dash of puzzling elements, Nova-111 is a lot of fun with a mild tendency to frustrate. You control a small spaceship whose mission it is to rescue scientists stranded around the levels as a result of an explosive accident. You move about the grid whilst various beasties and bots do the same; the twist is that some enemy actions are turn-based whilst some take place in real-time. Figuring out what to do to proceed was involving though, as with most downloadable titles, things just start to really get going and then it ends. Nonetheless a great morsel of gaming entertainment. Recommended.

16/20
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptySat 3 Sep 2016 - 11:52

Asdivine Hearts

Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 Cover_medium

A Wii U eShop JRPG par excellence... at least, that's what I thought after a few hours. Then the game's issues start to betray it: the translation is occasionally off and the controls sometimes don't respond properly. Poochy & Balladeer would retch at the generic five or six tunes that play out over the game's 32 hours (on my playthrough, at least). The palette swapping monsters begin to bore you and the utterly game-breaking boss-beating technique means none of the fights are threatening until the very end. That said, the jaunty story - the world's Light Deity is being hunted down by the Shadow Deity and, weakened, ends up in the body of a cat; hijinks ensue - and reasonable gameplay mean it's almost worth genre fans checking it out. Others will not be converted.

12/20
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptySat 3 Sep 2016 - 18:41

ZeroJones wrote:
The palette swapping monsters begin to bore you

A pet peeve of mine in this day and age - I understand that memory restrictions forced older JRPGs to utilise pallete swaps, but in the modern era it's just laziness that forces developers to resort to palette swaps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptySat 3 Sep 2016 - 18:45

It's probably a legacy of the fact that it was originally a mobile game. Space is always at a premium on my phone...
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptySat 3 Sep 2016 - 18:48

Ah, that may explain it then! That does raise another issue though... mobile to console ports rarely work well.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptySat 3 Sep 2016 - 19:06

What about console to mobile, do any of them work well?
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptySat 3 Sep 2016 - 19:28

Mobile to console: yet to play a really good one but the sample size is too small to present any proper conclusions. Winky Face

Console to mobile: we've got a (super old) thread for that. Again, I've not played many, but I did enjoy FFV. The issue is always how the buttons are replaced: the FFVII overlayed PS buttons are not conducive to playing on a tiny screen.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptySat 3 Sep 2016 - 19:32

Yeah I think the buttons are a issue but now with things like Xbox One controllers having bluetooth, hopefully they can be used in games on a smartdevice as androids at least can play likes of Resident Evil 5.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 16:28

The biggest problem with mobile to console ports is the price bump the games get in the process. Otherwise I'd be all over Hitman Go.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 18:47

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 22:28

That was a cracking read Drunka, and easily my favourite Gintendo piece I've read to date (well, serious piece... feels unfair to put this and Jimbob's kitchen piece in the same bracket as they're entirely different beasts). Games can often be dismissed a just a bit of fun, but I think for a lot of us they genuinely mean a lot to us. I think your post-mortem on your time with New Leaf exemplifies that.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyMon 5 Sep 2016 - 22:59

OrangeRakoon wrote:
The biggest problem with mobile to console ports is the price bump the games get in the process. Otherwise I'd be all over Hitman Go.

I didn't mind what I paid for Hitman GO at all, great puzzle game.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyTue 6 Sep 2016 - 13:23

JayMoyles wrote:
ZeroJones wrote:
The palette swapping monsters begin to bore you

A pet peeve of mine in this day and age - I understand that memory restrictions forced older JRPGs to utilise pallete swaps, but in the modern era it's just laziness that forces developers to resort to palette swaps.

Bit late to be chipping my couple o' cents in here but the other reason they tend to do that as far as I can tell is because most jrpgs nowadays aren't the most high budget things around, and pallet swaps saves money.

Personally I'm cool with them as long as they can add enough tiny variations to make the monster stick out and the rest of the game is sound. Bravely Default and Second for example have tons of pallet swaps, but exemplify all of those conditions.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyTue 6 Sep 2016 - 13:34

Depends on whether they have a lot of other monsters alongside for me. A really big problem I had with Skyward Sword was once you get past the Ancient Cistern, there are no more new basic enemies. Just more palette swaps.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyTue 6 Sep 2016 - 15:02

Unless combat is very specifically the crux of game, pallet swaps don't annoy me too much. I just accept that this monster inhabits this world, so of course I'd see it in various places with some variations.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 7:41

Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 PS_Wii_SuperMarioGalaxy_NS_enGB

And yes I have the Selects version.

Not much to be said about this one. I did only beat Bowser with 60 stars but I'll count it as "finishing", rather than "completing". I've been playing this alongside the sequel (have about 30 stars on Galaxy 2 atm) so I've been experiencing them as one package really, and together they are probably my favourite game of all time. I say probably, because I've not seen everything they have to offer yet, and likely never will given just how many more stars there are in those games. If I was 10-15 years younger and could plough hours in to these every evening, I feel they'd leave a deeper mark on me, but the fact that the first Galaxy has wowed me consistently, nine years after its release is testament to how timeless the game already is.

Favourite levels: anything involving water. These all seemed so peaceful (which took me back to chilling out in Dire, Dire Docks in Mario 64). I've always enjoyed the water levels in Mario games (loved Sunshine's hub area) but Galaxy felt less punishing the deeper you went underwater. I also really enjoyed the desert levels, which are normally the ones I most fear.

If I was to be picky, I could do without Spring Mario and there did seem to be a lot of races. Also the final battle with Bowser was easy, although the level getting to Bowser had me clawing my eyes out. Lava will be (and has been NUMEROUS times) the death of me.

Nevertheless, I look forward to beating Galaxy 2 and chipping away at the remaining stars.

10/10
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 10:30

YES MATE!
Yeah, the Galaxies are definitely my favourite games ever, and I think they're best viewed as one package; a game and its expansion.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 10:32

Bring on SM64 2.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 11:44

Galaxy 1 was the s***! The second ever platformer (Crash Bandicoot 3 was the first) I ever collected everything in, brilliant game that somehow managed to avoid the trap of having too many collectables set behind chore levels!

Can't say I enjoyed the second Galaxy that much alas. I feel that where the first Galaxy made most of its levels a blast Galaxy 2 had a bit too many that felt like a chore to play, and the really good ones were often on the shorter side. Combine that with the harsher star requirements to progress and, well, lets just say I doubt Nintendo will ever top the first Galaxy.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 EmptyThu 8 Sep 2016 - 12:00

Interesting you say that: one of my major gripes about SMG1 was that every galaxy had a Purple Coin star, and a lot of them weren't very interesting. I can't recall a single star in the sequel that was as dull as Sea Slide Galaxy's Bee Mushroom coin jaunt. And woe betide you if, like me, you fell into space with 84 in the bag...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII   Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII - Page 30 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Game You Finished and Your Thoughts MKII
Page 30 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next