We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread

Go down 
+11
gjones
Buskalilly
Treesmurf
The_Jaster
oldschool
ZeroJones
Crumpy Andy
masofdas
JayMoyles
Admin
Balladeer
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptyThu 7 May 2020 - 19:05

Hang on - is Octopath Nintendo-published? Eh? Is 1m sales even 'good' any more?

Fair comment about Capcom, but I think there's a certain sort of game that's going to do well on Switch and I think both yer Monster Hunters and yer Ace Attorneys should fit that mould. Yer FIFAs and yer CoDs, maybe not so much.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptyThu 7 May 2020 - 20:29

Yeah all those games are published by Nintendo. I think it depends on the game Zelda doing 1m would be bad but Astral Chain doing that is great.

Yeah games that the 3DS would have got like a new Monster Hunter would do well like you say but at the moment if I was looking and saw only 9 games done over 1m and best is M+R then I would be iffy.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptyThu 6 Aug 2020 - 16:25

Animal Crossing has sold 22,000,000 making it the number 2 Switch game already and will easily pass MK8D.

That Balla and I might have asked where's the games on Switch, well Nintendo only need ACNH.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptyWed 23 Sep 2020 - 15:58

Well this happened yesterday
The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 Eii3f07VgAENLOh?format=png&name=360x360
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptyFri 25 Sep 2020 - 22:48

I genuinely thought that was the new console and thought, "huh, okay???"... man, this generation is going to be confusing talking about Xbox. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptyFri 25 Sep 2020 - 22:57

You say that and why when we get to November games I've got a little explanation what each system means for Xboxes.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptyThu 6 Jan 2022 - 16:04

One for Buska to chew over.

Yesterday at CES we found out Ghost of Tsushima has sold over 8m units, which PlayStation is delighted with and this is how games media is also presenting the news of that's great for a New IP etc

This has led to it being brought up again that Days Gone has sold more than this, yet if all the rumours are true from a Jason Schreier report & interview, Bend aren't working on Days Gone 2 but a New IP (So PlayStation still doing New IP).

Reason given why no Days Gone 2 is because it was a critical disappointment, now in 2022 the game has been patched multiple times and has a 4K 60fps mode on PS5 along with a positive user score (Know can't all trust in that but most people I know who've played do like it). That people's opinions may have changed on the game.

Apparently going back to Jason Schreier, PlayStation want critical darlings and why the great sales numbers of Days Gone not really taken into account but for GoT it is as the game both a critical and commercial success.

Now I'm not Jack Ryan, so I don't know if he would sooner have a game that gets 10/10 wins GOTY but only does like 3m, but he can slap on a PS5 advert the best games are on this console or a game that gets like a 7/10 yet does like 10m because money as a business I'd want to sell as many games as I can.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptySat 8 Jan 2022 - 16:21

Speaking as someone who hasn't played either I'd say critical reception is the biggest factor but also say expected sales for both are a factor. Days Gone had so much more hype and marketing behind it and zombie games surely sell more than Samurai games traditionally but thanks to critical reception I'll only likely ever play one of them and I don't think it'll be the one that "gets good after 20 hours" or features a guy called Boozer.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptySat 8 Jan 2022 - 16:49

Guess that makes for Sony the game that's been praised more, people more lively to checkout then a above average game.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptySat 8 Jan 2022 - 17:02

I'm not sure Ghost of Tsushima was critically acclaimed though. Its reviews are all over the place: 6/10s from Edge, Guardian, VGC; a 7/10 from Gamespot; Eurogamer and Kotaku laid into it; IGN's 9/10 sticks out as the main glowing review.

I really enjoyed the game and think most reviews were harsh on it. Days Gone has never appealed to me, just from the way it looks and presents itself. Grey and post-apocalyptic, it looks very 2008. A game you'd see in CEX a lot. In fact those sales figures for Days Gone have been disputed as the numbers are based on trophies, not purchases.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptySat 8 Jan 2022 - 17:10

It's how it's been described but yeah GoT is on 83 on Metacritic.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptySun 9 Jan 2022 - 20:04

gjones wrote:
In fact those sales figures for Days Gone have been disputed as the numbers are based on trophies, not purchases.

This makes a lot more sense, Days Gone has been given away on PS Plus and is still available to all PS5 owners in the PS Plus collection so I could totally believe this.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptySun 9 Jan 2022 - 20:10

This has got to be mostly user feedback though, right? Days Gone probably sold a lot, but then everyone went "it's OK I guess" and I suspect market research suggests that people don't really want more of it. Loads of people (and this includes me) bought tickets to see Star Wars Episode I on launch day - I bet far fewer bothered turning up for the rest though. Whereas Ghost of Tsushima might have been a little janky, but people were talking about it, and I would imagine there's more excitement for what else that could do as opposed to Days Gone.

EDIT: @Treesmurf saw your post come in as I was writing this. I was trying to avoid my personal opinions on the game being an example of global user feedback, but, having checked my PS4, I do indeed technically own Days Gone! I'll begin ignoring it immediately.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptySun 9 Jan 2022 - 20:16

I guess but like said people that played it outside of the critical sense do seem to like Days Gone.

What I'm thinking is it do quite well, people do like it, PlayStation still trying new things but also want sure fire hits and this guy who was at Bend, just a bit cheesed off.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptySun 9 Jan 2022 - 22:43

Didn't Days Gone also have a really bloody long development cycle? I can imagine Sony not being in a rush to greenlight a sequel considering Ghost of Tsushima was probably developed in half the time, likely sold more (not buying the Days Gone sales figures considering the guy's source was a trophy site and considering the game's been readily available on PS NOW and Plus) and also was reviewed much more favourably as well.

For what it's worth, I didn't mind Days Gone. It was fine enough for what it was, but then again, I got it for free with my PS5 on the Plus Collection. I might not have been as kind to it had I paid money for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptyThu 3 Feb 2022 - 13:14

It's numbers time

Will start as didn't post elsewhere, but PlayStation has bought Bungie for just under $4bn, which seems a lot, but then MS bought Mojang for $2.5b so inflation etc I guess. Also, Bungie will stay multiformat, imo this along with how Spencer has talked about COD seems very much we buy so Amazon, Google, Apple, Meta etc don't.

Sticking with PlayStation for a minute, the PS5 has sold officially 17.2m but believed to be more around 18.4m with December & January taken into account. On the Xbox front a little different as hardware not announced, however Game Pass subs are which is around 25m.

The Switch has now sold 103.2m (Faster than everything but DS to 100m) which puts it number 5 overall, just 13m behind the PS4 and 15m behind the GameBoy which I think it catches both. Not sure if it will get to the DS 155m or PS2's 157m numbers but who knows as the Switch is halfway through its lifecycle according to Furukawa, and we have quality games coming going into it's 6th year to avoid a 6-year slump which other systems like the Wii had.

Hardware looks like this
Nintendo Switch OG: 81.68m
Nintendo Switch Lite: 17.87m
Nintendo Switch OLED: 3.99m

Games wise, the TOP 10 now looks like this:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 43.35 million (51m with the Wii U version)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 37.62 million
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 27.40 million
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 25.80 million
Pokémon Sword and Shield - 23.90 million
Super Mario Odyssey - 23.02 million
Super Mario Party - 17.39 million
Pokémon: Let's Go - 14.33 million
Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl - 13.97 million
Ring Fit Adventure - 13.53 million

This new Top 10 means Splatoon 2 drops out even though it is on about 12m also some other numbers Luigi Mansion 3 11m,  Metroid Dread 2.74 million (Will be the best-selling in the series), Super Mario 3D World + BF: 8.85m, Mario Party Superstars: 5.43m, Skyward Sword HD: 3.85m, New Pokémon Snap: 2.36m (excl. Japan), Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.26m.

As it is end year stuff the big three (Well not really because Tencent, is the biggest and Apple level with Nintendo) look like this:

Sony -
Revenue: $24.87bn
Operating Income: $2.63bn

Microsoft -
Revenue: $16.28bn
(Don't report gaming profit)

Nintendo -
Revenue: $15.3bn
Operating Income: $5.4bn

All doing well it seems, which it should be.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptyMon 2 May 2022 - 18:45

More Numbers as Embracer have bought Eidos, Crystal Dynamics and Montreal Studio along with IP like Tomb Raider and Deus Ex from Square for just $300m.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptyThu 18 May 2023 - 18:31

It’s been reported that Tears of the Kingdom sold 10 million copies in three days, but that isn’t strictly true. Fact is, I bought a second copy from Argos, thinking that The Game Collection weren’t going to deliver my copy on launch day.

To stop the spread of misinformation if someone could contact Nintendo to let them know that they only sold 9,999,999 copies of Zelda that would be helpful. Tell Shiggsy, he can be emailed at pikmin2preordernow@hotmail.com . Cheers lads, best forum in the world 🤝
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptyTue 6 Jun 2023 - 11:12

The Team 17 Amiga Collection on Evercade made the UK Top 40 this past week, seems quite impressive.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptyTue 6 Jun 2023 - 12:14

It probably speaks to that being a physcial thing and most people buying games digitally, but its still pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptyTue 6 Jun 2023 - 16:51

Yeah talking in the ToH in thread, hard to really judge how game does like I brought up Star Wars Jedi Survivor was 80:20 split in favour of PS5.

Yet how many Series S systems out there or even digital PS5's.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 EmptySun 18 Jun 2023 - 9:59

What are your favourite games on the Team 17 Amiga collection?
Edit: James there's an EverCade thread you buffoon
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread
Page 17 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17