We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wrestling Discussion Thread

Go down 
+17
JayMoyles
rlsniper789
ShadoWolf
AGuy
Snake14691
Slazo
masofdas
Treesmurf
Tokyo_Sonata
Solve My Maze
ScottGamer17
Balladeer
ZeroJones
Kyranitar
The_Jaster
Crumpy Andy
Dusty Knackers
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 12:11

It's best not to take wrestling serious but sadly there is still some folk that do.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 13:24

The_Jaster wrote:
It's best not to take wrestling serious but sadly there is still some folk that do.

It seems the only way to take it is not seriously. I am usually the first to say that to really enjoy some pop culture, you need to disengage your brain and just go for the ride, as analysing will just suck the fun out of it. I feel that disengaging it to enjoy wresting is not enough and only what happened to Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoso's Nest will work for me.

Still, carry on, disregard me, I am out and I will leave you to enjoy what you enjoy.
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 20:11

oldschool wrote:
Can any, or all of you, the fans of 'wrestling', please explain to me why you like it?  I for the life of me don't get it at all.  Forget the fact that it is clearly big bloke ballet and scripted within an inch of its life, but more importanty, the 'characters' are just so horribly stupid and not in the slightest bit entertaining.  Knowing it is a sweaty soap opera, what is the atttraction?  Just looking at the 'fans' during an advertisement for it makes me cringe, as it is below base levels of human endeavour when it is clear they do believe it is real.  

Sorry for any offence given here, but it is impossible to express a view without it.

Eh, the older characters were, but those ridiculous gimmicks have faded away and been replaced with more believable characters. One in particular, Daniel Bryan, is a smaller and less muscular than the norm wrestler who beats people with submissions; he recently went through a storyline where he believed he was the weak link in his team and that he couldn't make it alone. Believable and enjoyable. The scripting doesn't bother me, and the fact that everybody knows it is scripted now means that the fans are a bit smarter. The appeal for me comes from seeing a technically solid match orchestrated to perfection. If you have a spare 50 minutes, then please watch this match. The promo video at the start should tell you most everything you need to know about the match. It's the match I link people to when asked why I watch wrestling.

Also, yeah, nobody likes those type of fans, it's dated ever since the illusion that it was a real sport was shattered.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 20:22

I spent ages trying to word a good explanation for oldschool, but I couldn't do it. After twenty plus years as a fan of pro wrestling, I can't really explain the appeal of it. Me for, I like seeing a contest between two opponents. Wrestling is unlike any other form of entertainment because you feel like you become a part of the show. I'm not sure if this video will help explain it in any way, but I'll link it anyway.

Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013 - 20:28

Good video, hadn't seen that before. Basically sums up what I was trying to say. Still, watch the match I linked if you have time - it's so good.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 14 Jul 2013 - 15:42

Aye that's a great way of explaining it, now to go watch that Punk vs Cena match.
Back to top Go down
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 14 Jul 2013 - 20:36

Anyone expect any surprises tonight at Money in the Bank? I anticipate all titles will be retained (with Big E Langston and AJ having a hand in Dolph Ziggler losing, completing Ziggler's face turn). Expecting the two ladder matches to be the stand-outs. I can't see anyone other than Daniel Bryan coming out on top in 'All Stars', unless they want to curveball us with Bray Wyatt entering the match, winning, and cashing in the briefcase at the end of the night - though it would be very soon to do something like that. The World Heavyweight Championship MitB ladder match is the most intriguing match to me, can't see who wins that, I'm telling everyone Damien Sandow will nab it, but went against that by putting a fiver on Dean Ambrose on Sky Bet at 11/1. I will say I've hated the build-up to this match, as Phillips mentioned on the last page, it's a bit of a jobbers match, but WWE have done nothing to convince the audience its anything but that. On-screen, the competitors have been bickering like a bunch of children, which I have really not been keen on.

Final thought - if the WWE Championship match closes the show, I'd expect whoever wins All Stars to cash-in at the end of the night. However, I can't see John Cena VS Mark Henry being on last, not a match many want to see, even after the brilliant retirement speech.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 14 Jul 2013 - 23:22

Bray Wyatt sent out a tweet saying: "I'm here to break your 'heroes' " #MiTB

That could mean a number of things tbh, as for surprises? Not expecting any but its always good to be proved wrong oh I'm especially looking forward to seeing RVD.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 14 Jul 2013 - 23:36

I was planning on putting an accumulator on six of the non-MitB matches...a fiver would have got me back seven quid. Hmm.

I'm not expecting much in the way of surprises, but I am expecting the event to deliver in the ring. It's on Sky Sports 3 if anyone's interested.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 0:10

I reckon Brock will make an appearance in the MITB All-Stars match - can very much see him being the missing man to replace Kane and turning up halfway through to get in a brawl with Punk which will spill out to the crowd, then someone will win as Punk's missing, setting up the SummerSlam match. I expect a combination of Ryback winning the match and a post-match Wyatt beat-down to "injure" Jericho so he can go off and play at being rockstar again for a while. Also, it's seeming increasingly likely to me that Orton will win MITB and punt Cena after he retains. Hoping to be surprised though (Cody Rhodes winning the WHC ladder match would be such a surprise)
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 12:59

Just finished watching the PPV. I'll put this stuff in spoilers, as it's much more than just MitB spoilers, but potentially for many, many PPVs down the line. You've been warned.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 15:41

Well it's a good job I don't bet on anything what so ever.

Overall the MiTB was a strange one, it started really well with Uso's vs Shield & then the WHC MiTB match but after that it dipped massively for me until the Ziggler/ADR match, the final ladder match was great until the unexpected result.

Anyhow, the way I look at it we will get some great fueds out of it such as, Sandow vs Rhodes, the Uso's/shield looks like it will continue & the biggest one with Heyman/punk/Brock.
Back to top Go down
Tokyo_Sonata
Copyright Claimed by Nintendo
Tokyo_Sonata

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 16:01

@Phillips
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 16:33

Tokyo_Sonata wrote:
@Phillips
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

As for the PPV itself, did anybody else's heart sink when they watched Curtis Axel come down and lamp Daniel Bryan in the main event? Under no circumstances should someone as talented as Bryan be attached to someone as unremarkable as Axel - the secondary championship doesn't suit either. I don't think Paul Heyman can verbally enhance Axel's worth any further: just lacks the pizazz of a Dolph Ziggler or a Dean Ambrose. Axel is capable enough in the same manner as the likes of Jinder Mahal and Curt Hawkins, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned.

On another note, I was pleasantly surprised by Cody Rhodes' performance. I think that's the best I've seen him look since he debuted. If it weren't in WWE, I'd have called it a proper breakthrough performance. I thought everybody had a good night in that match, but his was the standout.
Back to top Go down
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 16:44

Spoiler:

Decent-ish PPV on the whole, the Smackdown ladder match was my favourite of the night (I only caught the finale of the Tag Team Championship, will give it a watch later), was good to highlight some of the undercarders, and because it was full of heels gave WWE a good chance to see who the crowd would be prepared to get behind as a face - step forward Cody Rhodes.

I'm with you, Phillips, think my heart dropped out of my arse when Curtis Axel got involved with Daniel Bryan. Bryan should be being pushed in to headline matches, not dropping down to give the rub to someone who the fans don't react to - biggest disappointment of the night that was.

EDIT:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 16:56

I don't begrudge Curtis Axel his opportunity, as he's spend long enough in developmental hell and losing on the online programmes that nobody watched. It was always bound to happen, particularly if you're Mr. Perfect's son and you're backstage supporters include Triple H, Brock Lesnar and The Rock. It just brings back unwanted memories of Drew McIntyre's superpush in 2010. I wonder what Axel would be doing if Fandango hasn't got injured ahead of that IC title match...do you think the audience would have rubbished him by now, like they did Lord Tensai last year?

Back to top Go down
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 17:18

It's not that I don't think he deserves a chance, I don't want to see him in a program with the hottest wrestler in the company. I think audiences would have buried Axel by now, I honestly think the only thing that has stopped them is that 'Michael McGillicutty' doesn't fit in to any chants. Laughing
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 18:42

My MitB thoughts:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 20:07

Here's a little bit more about the spoiler-tagged stuff I posted earlier.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 20:35

Aye, he's been popping up ever since Elimination Chamber. I post on that subreddit (brilliant place for wrestling news and chat, even if the community gets a little too high on Ziggler/Bryan/Punk for their own good at times) and at first everyone was skeptical. But then Elimination Chamber was all right - including Swagger, which no-one would have called. Then Wrestlemania, except the Tons of Funk match not being on the card, although the result he called was proven right on Raw the next night. And so on and on... it's a little sad that someone out there would leak results, but I guess it's just up to your own willpower to not look at them and avoid the bookies leading up to a PPV.
Back to top Go down
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 15 Jul 2013 - 20:58

From my reading of this Redditor (is that the right word?)'s bio, he only leaks the PPV results, because WWE themselves do this, and he doesn't like them doing it.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue 16 Jul 2013 - 7:44

RAW last night... amazing. Brilliant episode, great angle advancement... couple of quick things:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue 16 Jul 2013 - 9:59

We all know RVD still has it Jay, he was wrestling in TNA about a month ago. I watched MITB yesterday (RAW this morning), it was okay but you can see where there going with everything,

So at Slam we get
Cena V Bryan for WWE with Orton cashing in on Bryan to continue that feud
ADR v Someone for WHC
Ziggy v Big E
CM Punk V Lesnar
Rhodes V Sandow with the briefcase maybe on the line
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue 16 Jul 2013 - 19:20

Wouldn't call a lock on the Ziggler match or Orton cashing in, but your predictions fall in line with mine.

As for RVD, I'd heard he was pretty much phoning it in at TNA and was pretty shit there, so I was surprised when he actually could still put on a decent match.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed 17 Jul 2013 - 0:19

Even though I enjoyed his match with Jericho on Raw I thought he looked rusty in places tbh, but maybe he was still suffering a wee bit off the back of the ladder match.

I guess time will tell on that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wrestling Discussion Thread   Wrestling Discussion Thread - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wrestling Discussion Thread
Page 13 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next