We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

News thread

Go down 
+28
Dead Lemon
Axis1500
masofdas
oldschool
Rum
nupkin
Buskalilly
spacemanDOUG
The Cappuccino Kid
Athrun888
ZeroJones
SuperPaperLink
Vidofnir
Crumpy Andy
Darunia
JayMoyles
beemoh
NintenDUCK
The_Jaster
rlsniper789
Kyranitar
Treesmurf
Tokyo_Sonata
Jimbob
Admin
Balladeer
Fancy Fancy
shanks
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

News thread - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySun 1 Sep 2013 - 15:40

This is literally the end of the English Language.

Also, on another distressing note, it seems "twerking" has reached the Oxford Dictionary, so there's that. Mad 
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySun 1 Sep 2013 - 17:45

When did the Oxford dictionary become a group of headline chasing idiots? They used to be highly respected, right?
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySun 1 Sep 2013 - 20:24

That's a really valid point - these words like "twerking" and "selfie" will fall out of the cultural zeitgeist pretty quickly, they're not exactly dictionary material.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySun 1 Sep 2013 - 20:29

You know what? I'm sick of hearing about 'Selfies' at the moment. Even though I know what it is, there's something mildly rude-sounding about the word to me. Also: the national media using the word 'Troll'. That's the internet's word, Daily Mail, you crusty old gits (or whoever), not yours!
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySun 1 Sep 2013 - 20:34

Buskalilly wrote:
When did the Oxford dictionary become a group of headline chasing idiots? They used to be highly respected, right?
To be fair, they just put down how a word is commonly used.  It's depressing that it's used wrongly commonly enough to make this a "right" usage, is all.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySun 1 Sep 2013 - 20:47

I'm OK with "Twerk" being in the dictionary, but it should, rather than describing a particular act, decribe a phenomena, thus:

twerk n. To find out, or inform someone, about something the subject would never have heard of in the first place, were it not for people completely unaffected by it endlessly whining on about same to everyone they meet as if that will somehow make it go away. "Don't invite Dave out to the pub tonight, he keeps twerking on about One Direction"
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySun 1 Sep 2013 - 21:14

Another article that goes nicely with that .gif I posted earlier.  A bit selfish to deny the chap his retirement, perhaps, but if there's another Japanese man who brought as much magic into my life, it's Shigeru Miyamoto. Aww! 
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptyMon 2 Sep 2013 - 14:49

Stu_the_great wrote:
You know what? I'm sick of hearing about 'Selfies' at the moment. Even though I know what it is, there's something mildly rude-sounding about the word to me. Also: the national media using the word 'Troll'. That's the internet's word, Daily Mail, you crusty old gits (or whoever), not yours!
I had to look the word up to even know what it was. I thought the words 'tosser' or 'wanker' covered the vast majority of those photographs. I did know what twerking was though and like planking, I hope it quietly disappears. If it doesn't, then parents should start twerking in front of their kids. Nothing kills a fad quicker than that Dance 

In defence of the dictionary, English is an ever evolving language and they do need to keep up with modern usage. If it didn't, there are many words we currently use that would never had made the cut as well. Plus, as annoying as it is, words do change in meaning, no matter how wrong and become something else, such as fantastic. The internet and modern media have just spread new words more quickly. Stop sounding like grumpy old men and get over it DAMN YOU! 
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptyMon 2 Sep 2013 - 19:12

Balladeer wrote:
Another article that goes nicely with that .gif I posted earlier.  A bit selfish to deny the chap his retirement, perhaps, but if there's another Japanese man who brought as much magic into my life, it's Shigeru Miyamoto. Aww! 
Aw, man... I still think that 2012 was the "last in the series" of years...
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptyMon 2 Sep 2013 - 20:54

Stu_the_great wrote:
Also: the national media using the word 'Troll'. That's the internet's word, Daily Mail, you crusty old gits (or whoever), not yours!
That dicks my cheese, the way they've turned it into this new, terrifying youth thing like happy-slapping or whatever. I'm not defending the utter scum who drive 14-year-old girls to suicide, but I've got absolutely no time for this culture of making every new technology some evil new thing. Guess what- people were bullies before computers. And I tend to think of trolling as a more fun sort of thing- pranks and taking the mick.

Balladeer wrote:
I read that wrong and thought Shigsy was retiring. I hulked out big time. Eight people died. The damage to infrastructure . . . You have a lot to answer for, Balla.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptyMon 2 Sep 2013 - 21:31

You're addicted to Multiquote aren't you Buska Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptyMon 2 Sep 2013 - 22:57

Better than double posting.
And actually, I can hardly ever get the multiquote to work, I just copy and paste like I always have.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptyMon 2 Sep 2013 - 23:01

Yeah I haven't quite worked it out yet. Just made me laugh that I saw 3 of your posts in a row with multiple quotes Laughing 
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptyTue 3 Sep 2013 - 10:11

Just seen Microsoft has bought Nokia for £4.6Billion, so you would now gather no more HTC Windows Phones.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptyTue 3 Sep 2013 - 22:26

I guess they want to streamline what they're putting out so the winsows phone can compete with the iphone?
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptyThu 5 Sep 2013 - 2:15

The wheel.

The printing press.

The internal combustion engine.

Penicillin.

Spreadable beer.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptyThu 5 Sep 2013 - 4:00

That is foul. Jellied foods like that give me the boke. Pale 
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptyFri 6 Sep 2013 - 9:37

Election will be over tomorrow, I think I'll chill with the Project while it's on. I'll be glad when this is over, as of now I practically just want to rip my ears off every time a Labor spokesperson is on the tv and carrying on about "cuts, cuts, and cuts". Honestly at this point I'm going to be rather glad when the Liberals get in, it may mean the death of any true reform for our internet, but it also means an end to the circus that has been going on the last four or so years and the end of these blasted slogans.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySat 7 Sep 2013 - 2:19

BBC takes a more in-depth look at Minecraft

It starts badly- The headline for the story on the BBC News front page is "Minecraft addiction Why do children get obsessed over blocky building game?" "Obsess(ed/ion)" comes up four more times in the article and it's always in the main syntax- it's just an obsession, not an 'obsession' in quotes, like with this headline about One Direction's more dedicated fans.

But, the article does set out to find the positive and is- apart from the initial tone- entirely positive, which is still a rare thing for mainstream games coverage.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySat 7 Sep 2013 - 12:28

At the time of posting everyone is saying that our election is all but over with Liberals winning which people aren't that happy about
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySat 7 Sep 2013 - 13:42

I can't blame them, the Liberals have more won because Labor was an absolute basket case more than showing they are worthy of the job.  Not only that, but what they have promised, at least to me, seems either to be negative (the terrible broadband network proposition that will leave anybody not in a position to pay thousands of dollars to get it installed will run on copper wires for incredibly marginal speed increases) or downright impractical.  

That all said it was time honestly.  Governments usually last two to three terms then the power swaps to the other side because they start screwing up too much, and as long as the Coalition doesn't gain power in the senate like Howard had in his last term there's nothing all that wrong with a change of party.  if they get too much power however, that is when we will see bad things from them.  No political party, regardless of what they stand for, is ever anything but bad news when they have too much power.

Still I'm going to give Tony Abbott credit where it's due, he's run a really solid campaign and so from that respect he has won the right to be the next Prime Minister. Plus he gave me some great laughs during it, I like a politician that sometimes messes up a bit, it makes them human and seem approachable.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySat 7 Sep 2013 - 14:10

Athrun888 wrote:
Still I'm going to give Tony Abbott credit where it's due, he's run a really solid campaign and so from that respect he has won the right to be the next Prime Minister.  Plus he gave me some great laughs during it, I like a politician that sometimes messes up a bit, it makes them human and seem approachable.  
Yeah, we had that. We put him in charge of London.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySat 7 Sep 2013 - 18:01

Abbott looks absolutely sodding awful from my perspective.  Gay marriage opponent, climate change-sceptic...  Sounds a lot like the Republicans in the You Ess of Ayee.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySat 7 Sep 2013 - 19:07

Athrun888 wrote:
 Plus he gave me some great laughs during it, I like a politician that sometimes messes up a bit, it makes them human and seem approachable.  
I hate that mentality. It gives some very powerful men with sketchy views a lot of influence and more power just because aw, ain't he a buffoon.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 EmptySat 7 Sep 2013 - 19:20

He's even worse from my perspective.  As far as policies go you likely already know he wants to abolish the Carbon Tax in favour of a so-called Direct Action scheme, there's also his hilarious unrealistic baby bonus scheme which I can already see being ditched with the claim the budget is worse than he expected in opposition.  Then there's his so-called broadband network scheme, which was basically the exact same thing as Labors only they want to completely neuter it by building nodes and then using the old really run down copper wire network to connect people to it, and those that actually want to have the proper speeds will have to pay thousands of dollars for the wires to be put in.  

I could go on but I'll be here all night, suffice to say I couldn't be more against what the Coalition stand for and I do not see what they propose to be the way Australia should move forward.  And really I should probably leave it at that lest I come off too biased, but I'm really not looking forward to seeing the legislation this government is going to try to pass. I can't stand regressive politics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: News thread   News thread - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

News thread
Page 8 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next