We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*

Go down 
+18
Fancy Fancy
mandlecreed
Jimbob
Cube
shanks
Dusty Knackers
Admin
Buskalilly
Treesmurf
Crumpy Andy
masofdas
The_Jaster
ZeroJones
JayMoyles
beemoh
Athrun888
Balladeer
The Cappuccino Kid
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyWed 22 Jan 2014 - 22:49

Oh, definitely excited for that providing it's in the style of The Walking Dead TellTale game. I'm still hoping for an Elder Scrolls-esque proper fantasy RPG for Game of Thrones too one day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2014 - 0:20

JayMoyles wrote:
I was watching footage of the Game of Thrones game earlier wondering if I should install it, and I was in the end put off by the generally negative impressions of the game.

I heard it doesn't have the best gameplay, but the story is actually pretty good. If I see it for a fiver on PS3 I'll probably give it a go. But yeah, really psyched for the tell tale game.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2014 - 1:15

masofdas wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:
Masofdas wrote:
Before anyone ask there's no resident evil 4 even thought it's great it's not a survival horror game in my opinion it's a thrid person shooter with survival horror elements.

If I was balladeer this is where I'd use this......

Spoiler:

How it's my opinion,  

Because it is a survival horror game.

If I said this:

Quote :
Although combat can be a part of the gameplay, the player is made to feel less powerful than in typical action games, because of limited ammunition, health, speed, or other limitations

would you not think RE4?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2014 - 11:19

Ammo or Health isn't limited for a start you kill a Los Ganados and then they drop a item or destroy a wooden box all more frequent the previous biohazards, you can become over powered by upgrading the right weapon I remember one of mine was one hit kill on almost all enemies. Item management isn't as necessary as previous games and puzzles don't show up often either.

To me a survival horror games is like biohazard 2, puzzles, limited resources, item management, scares, weak take one or two hits your dead.

Like I said Resident Evil 4 is a great game maybe one of the best ever but to me it's not a survival horror the 10 in my video are what I would call survival horror. I would call it a third person shooter with survival horror elements like mass effect is a action rpg it has rpg elements but 2 & 3 at least are focused more on the action part. I think RE4 is focused more the shooter part then the survival horror part. Then RE5&6 drop the survival horror part completely.

I will plug my Cube in to see what the weapon I'm thinking of is, I'm halfway through a second play through I think of RE4.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2014 - 15:48

Buskalilly wrote:
JayMoyles wrote:
I was watching footage of the Game of Thrones game earlier wondering if I should install it, and I was in the end put off by the generally negative impressions of the game.

I heard it doesn't have the best gameplay, but the story is actually pretty good. If I see it for a fiver on PS3 I'll probably give it a go. But yeah, really psyched for the tell tale game.

I got it for like a couple of quid in a Humble Bundle, so I'm not complaining. Pretty sure the story was at least supervised by George R.R. Martin so that'll be why the story is decent.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyThu 23 Jan 2014 - 18:32

Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 20140110

Who needs remote play when your GameCube is portable, screen works with other consoles but the power adapter will only fit the cube.

It's hard to see what weapons I have due to the screen being so small,

Matilda which you can only get after finishing the game
TMP with stock this is what I had equipped and killed the 1st enemy I saw with ease, so guessing this fully upgraded
Striker
And something else as I has a sight I think,

This is my second play through at 3-1, so can't remember if weapons and there upgrades carry over but reading about one if it's fully upgraded it can shoot through 5 enemies in one go.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyFri 24 Jan 2014 - 0:01

Most enemies are still more powerful than you though some can even kill you in one or two hits like garradors, dr Salvador & regenerators, also I don't remember having a whole lot of ammo all the time & weapons usually aren't fully upgraded until your near the end of the game.

Just because they switched the camera perspective doesn't make it any less of a survival horror game, RE4 just evolved the genre a little to keeps things fresh.

(One of the strong end game weapons you may have been thinking about was the red 9)
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyFri 24 Jan 2014 - 12:18

We will have to agree to disagree,

You can see by my RE4 Cube I'm a fan and if you go to the 6th gen in the retro section it's in my top 10 games for Cube but I'm standing by it's not 100% survival horror.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyMon 3 Feb 2014 - 13:15

Anyone else enjoy reading reviews of awful awful games? You might enjoy this then.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyMon 3 Feb 2014 - 13:24

Yeah, read that yesterday. I hate how one of my favourite strategy games has been bastardised through microtransactions.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyMon 3 Feb 2014 - 17:39

It makes me wonder, what if EA came up with Animal Crossing? "You can catch one fish a day, or pay £0.99 per extra cast of the rod!" Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyWed 5 Feb 2014 - 12:16

Game Trailers just done there Top 5 Survival Horror games, We went for the same top 2 but the other way around.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyWed 5 Feb 2014 - 13:17

I may have asked this question before but giving the hullabaloo over MGS: ground zeroes' length I want to ask it again, do you attach the value of a game to how many hours it lasts for?

I find some people's reactions to ground zeroes quite ridiculous acting as if the length of something affects the overall quality of the product , especially when the general gaming public haven't even played it yet.

So for me it's replay value over something that lasts 120+ hours for the sake of it.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyWed 5 Feb 2014 - 13:22

I put a bit about it in the news section,

But length depends on the game, replay value, multi player and cost for me.

Like a COD I know single player will be short but I will get value out of it via multi player.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyWed 5 Feb 2014 - 13:28

It depends on what I'm doing, really.  Take Bravely Default as an example.  I was really happy on finishing the first half of the game and seeing that it had taken me about 50h.  That's 50h of fun!  (YMMV on that one, but I like JRPGs.)  But the remaining 40h, especially the last 15 or so, have felt like the game's being stretched out for the sake of it, and that's not so great.  A 60h game of consistent quality has become a 90h one with a lot of those h being... boring, to be honest.  

The Mario and Luigi series is another example.  The first three games were about 20h each, which felt a bit short, but the gameplay was fun, and each of them got at least replay each.  I got about 35h into Dream Team Bros. before losing my 3DS and save file, but haven't really wanted to play it again.

So I guess my answer is that yes, length does matter, so long as it's kept interesting throughout; but I'd rather have a shorter game than a longer one where the pacing has gone out of the window.

And I'm not a great "replay value" fan.  I relish trying experiences for the first time, but doing the same thing again is usually dull.  The M&L games are exceptions to that rule, and I waited at least a year between each replay of those.  I agree with Mas that "game length" should be about total time played, though (less so about cost): Brawl has a rather short one player mode, yet I've probably played it more than any game of all time!  (Apart from maybe Mêlée.)

Last edited by Balladeer on Wed 5 Feb 2014 - 13:30; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyWed 5 Feb 2014 - 13:29

I've managed over a massive 220 hours out of Pokémon Y.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyWed 5 Feb 2014 - 16:18

I got 100 hours out of Binding of Isaac, and I enjoyed myself. You're looking at how much value you are getting out of the time you put in, both in terms of money and fun.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyWed 5 Feb 2014 - 17:06

Game length is one component of value for me. Some of the best games of last year were short, sharp, cheap(er) titles, like SteamWorld Dig, Bike Rider DX and EDGE. Not all of them were successful, though: my dislike of Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams will endure beyond the end of time, worn down to a tiny particle of pure hatred in the otherwise cold bleakness of the void.

Now, some titles are padded. Balla's raising of DTB is a stellar example; it's starting to drag for me at about 40 hours in, with at least one new area to open. However, I've got my value for money out of that already, so the (to me) extra hours that will be necessary to beat it are fine, in a way. The only issue is that there are other 3DS games that I could be playing...
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyWed 5 Feb 2014 - 17:30

ZeroJones wrote:
...my dislike of Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams will endure beyond the end of time, worn down to a tiny particle of pure hatred in the otherwise cold bleakness of the void.

This sounds like the final boss fight of an RPG. Giana Sisters: the Hatred of Zero Jones?
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyWed 5 Feb 2014 - 22:39

Balladeer wrote:
ZeroJones wrote:
...my dislike of Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams will endure beyond the end of time, worn down to a tiny particle of pure hatred in the otherwise cold bleakness of the void.

This sounds like the final boss fight of an RPG.  Giana Sisters: the Hatred of Zero Jones?

I will gladly sacrifice my username in that way, provided they stop bunging out formulaic, fun-free pappy pants platformers.

Is it a deal, Black Forest Games? If that is your real name.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyWed 5 Feb 2014 - 22:52

The length debate (giggidy) came up on the podcast, I think, but for my money I would much rather have a game be a bit short but end at the right moment than be stretched out unnecessarily.
That being said, GZ seems like it's like more than a prologue so full price is kind of cheeky.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyThu 6 Feb 2014 - 5:11

Buskalilly wrote:
That being said, GZ seems like it's like more than a prologue so full price is kind of cheeky.

Yeah- that first Dead Rising 2 prologue had the right idea- 400 MSP, which was what low-level XBLA games were going for at the time.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyThu 6 Feb 2014 - 14:08

I know people bought Z.O.E for MGS2 Demo, Crackdown for Halo 3 BETA etc. So not the much different and you know it be top quality product and it's not full price it's £19.99 on PS360 as a download or £29.99 on a disc, PS4ONE it's £29.99 download or £39.99 on a disc.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyThu 6 Feb 2014 - 14:22

Oh, for twenty quid it's a done deal. I've got a lot of time for metal geeeeeaarrr.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 EmptyThu 6 Feb 2014 - 15:32

See I'm not a fan of downloads of retail games as it always seems a lot of money for something that I don't really get. So for me it's £39.99 on PS4, I don't know if there's any benefits of buying the disc over the download apart from you get to fondle it.

Amazon has PS360 version down for £22.00
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*   Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS* - Page 20 Empty

Back to top Go down

Random Gaming Thoughts Thread *NO NEWS ITEMS*
Page 20 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next