Shibuya? I 'Ardly Know 'Er!

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  SONMSONM  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage
masofdas
Divine Beast Vah Medoh

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   Tue 26 Dec 2017 - 18:11

I bought Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service today as I may have spoken before on here that I would like to get into Anime more and from the outside Studio Ghibli seems the best jumping on point.

I've watched as you know Cowboy Bebop, Attack on Titan Season 1 & 2, Armitage III: Poly-Matrix along with the obvious stuff like Pokemon, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Animatrix, Persona 4, Afro Samurai etc

That anime isn't new to me and I had been watching (I need to go back to it) Samurai Champloo on Netflix but I'm not one for series unless I'm jumping on near the start or it's short (like Bebop) that films are what I would prefer, do you guys think me picking up Ghibli is the right idea and is there any I should be getting first or anything else?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
masofdas
Divine Beast Vah Medoh

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   Wed 3 Jan 2018 - 17:04

Double Combo

Watched Princess Mononoke the other night, I enjoyed it and I'm excited to watch Kiki but at the moment not in much of hurry to get more. I don't know if it was just hyped a bit too much for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Athrun888
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   Fri 5 Jan 2018 - 18:54

Bebop is in the 26 episode margin correct? That's typically the average length for most anime series actually, while long running shows like Naruto and Dragon Ball Super and One Piece pick up most of the gossip in more casual circles they're the sort of shows that are in the minority.

As for Ghibli movies, I'm sure they're fine and all (can't comment as I've never actually watched one), but they've never struck me as "gateway" films to the medium at large. They're the sort of films that have a mass appeal that expands beyond the medium, and typically aren't really what one would use to say "see, this is anime!" to a newbie. Not that you shouldn't watch them of course, they're likely critically acclaimed for a reason, more that I'm saying if you've watched shows like Cowboy Bebop and Attack on Titan then you've passed the gate that mandates you be introduced to the medium through them. (That said I really should sit down and watch some Ghibli films someday)

You've seen one gateway show already in Cowboy Bebop, other famous gateway series would include (off the top of my head): Fullmetal Alchemist (and its manga-faithful adaptation Brotherhood, overall it's a long journey but most would agree that to have the definitive FMA experience you would start with the original even with a third of it being "filler" due to its impeccable adaptation of the beginning of the story), Death Note, Attack on Titan, and so on.

From there you take the leap beyond series that have broad mass-appeal and would start to delve further into anime-anime. These sorts of titles are for the slightly initiated that want something more and would include smash-hit shows from the 00's including: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (26episodes excluding the recap episode that splits the two arcs), Code Geass (two 25 episode series), and more.

More recently we had Steins;Gate (brilliant character-driven series involving a fantastic time-travel story) and Madoka Magica (excellent deconstruction of the magical girl genre). There was also Kill la Kill, made by the same genius's who came up with Gurren Lagann.

If it's movies you want though then you might want to check Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Both by the same mastermind and both are very wholesome films that are sure to please anybody from a hardcore anime fan to a newbie.

I could name a few other series, but those are definitely more for fully-indoctrinated fans. They're the sort of shows that if you don't already know you're up for them then they're not going to be your thing. Technically Madoka Magica's getting into that territory, but it's such a good series I feel compelled to give it a shout-out anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masofdas
Divine Beast Vah Medoh

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   Sat 6 Jan 2018 - 10:43

I've seen Death Note and I own The Girl Who Leapt Through Time on Blu Ray as heard good things same with that Summer Wars.

The 20-30 episode length is about right for me for a series and got loads of added to my watch list on Netflix but I think films is more for me which includes one called Blame which is meant to be one of the best of 2017.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JayMoyles
I'M SO LONELY

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   Sat 6 Jan 2018 - 20:01

Paprika's a good one if you're looking for anime movie recommendations, Mas.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
Divine Beast Vah Medoh

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   Sat 6 Jan 2018 - 22:02

I bought 5 Blu Rays for 40 this afternoon from eBay which one of them is that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   

Back to top Go down

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11