We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall

Go down 
+6
Buskalilly
Treesmurf
shanks
The_Jaster
masofdas
Balladeer
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyThu 14 Sep 2017 - 21:20

Goodness gracious.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptySun 17 Sep 2017 - 19:54

So I've beaten the first big boss, and have four different monsters (I will not call them Monsties) in my party, as well as a duplicate hanger-on who'll be relegated to the stables the moment I find a fifth.  It's really odd, the way they try and present murdering the monsters as an alternative and equally valid way of life.  Like if Pokémon went, 'Oh but if you want to hack Pikachu to pieces with a big sword and not bother with the whole raising "thing", that's cool too.'

But anyway, I'm having more fun with this now.  The combat's good, although I'm still not quite sure whether there are visual tells for everything, or whether I'm imagining some of them.  And I want to hatch a pig thing, but the game tells me I can't. Aww!

That said, although Nyavirou has become bearable, I still groan when the Chief turns up.  Rhyming was good in Child of Light because it fit the overall feel of the game.  Here, he just feels like some chap trying too hard to be 'alternative'.  Which would be fine, only we're meant to respect him as chief of the village, and I feel it'd be just as valid locking him up in the stables with a hungry Velocidrome.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptySun 17 Sep 2017 - 20:35

Balladeer wrote:
It's really odd, the way they try and present murdering the monsters as an alternative and equally valid way of life.  Like if Pokémon went, 'Oh but if you want to hack Pikachu to pieces with a big sword and not bother with the whole raising "thing", that's cool too.'

I suppose this is a by-product of this being your first game in the Monster Hunter world. For me, I was more interested to see how they rationalised Riders never popping up in the main series as hunting the monsters was the only way of life known to players until Stories.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyMon 18 Sep 2017 - 1:10

Balla wrote:
And I want to hatch a pig thing, but the game tells me I can't.  Aww!

Do you mean the poogie's that you find? If so I don't blame you because they are amazing!

Just look at them!

Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 FIG-COL-3375_03
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyMon 18 Sep 2017 - 5:45

Nah, I came to terms with not having my own Poogie early on. I mean the boar-like enemies.

JayMoyles wrote:
Balladeer wrote:
It's really odd, the way they try and present murdering the monsters as an alternative and equally valid way of life.  Like if Pokémon went, 'Oh but if you want to hack Pikachu to pieces with a big sword and not bother with the whole raising "thing", that's cool too.'

I suppose this is a by-product of this being your first game in the Monster Hunter world. For me, I was more interested to see how they rationalised Riders never popping up in the main series as hunting the monsters was the only way of life known to players until Stories.

They did that fairly easily, I thought, by isolating the Riders in their village. I don't think it's to do with it being my first game though - I knew what the main meat of the series consisted of. It's just the way a village that bases its way of life around looking after monsters is completely okay with them being slaughtered for fun and profit elsewhere. I loathe hunting in real life, I'd expect someone in the village to feel the same way.

Not that I'd expect Capcom to question the morals of the main series; but in not doing so, it has to put up with the resulting dissonance.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyMon 18 Sep 2017 - 13:37

I ASSUME YOU'VE LISTENED TO OUR SPECIAL PODCAST WITH JOE SKREBELS WHERE WE DISCUSS THIS MORALITY, YES?

Anyway, the world is very much a hunter/ gatherer, barely able to farm society where monsters kill people all the time. Even in Stories, the Monsties are hatched from birth, and wild monsters are still a genuine threat that needs dealing with. I don't think you'll meet anyone more opposed to modern hunting than me, I nearly cried at a birds of prey sanctuary yesterday during a presentation on how poaching is wiping out the vulture, but in the Monster Hunter world it isn't callous sport but a dangerous and necessary fight for survival.

You know your character is using a monster to kill other monsters, right? Like they use a sword as well, you're doing the same thing as a hunter, you just have a buddy helping you out.

JayMoyles wrote:
And just think - a little over a year ago I'd never played a Monster Hunter game before. Shocked

I'm so proud of our Jay Grin
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyMon 18 Sep 2017 - 19:50

Balladeer wrote:
Nah, I came to terms with not having my own Poogie early on.  I mean the boar-like enemies.

Read if you've reached the second big area or if you're not fussed about some early-game monster appearance spoilers:

Drunkalilly wrote:

JayMoyles wrote:
And just think - a little over a year ago I'd never played a Monster Hunter game before. Shocked

I'm so proud of our Jay Grin

I'm still convinced Guesstus Flask was a long con to get me to play Monster Hunter.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyMon 18 Sep 2017 - 20:10

Don't worry, I've reached that area. Pig success! Grin Also...

Rare-ish second area monster:

Drunkalilly wrote:
Anyway, the world is very much a hunter/ gatherer, barely able to farm society where monsters kill people all the time. Even in Stories, the Monsties are hatched from birth, and wild monsters are still a genuine threat that needs dealing with. I don't think you'll meet anyone more opposed to modern hunting than me, I nearly cried at a birds of prey sanctuary yesterday during a presentation on how poaching is wiping out the vulture, but in the Monster Hunter world it isn't callous sport but a dangerous and necessary fight for survival.

You know your character is using a monster to kill other monsters, right? Like they use a sword as well, you're doing the same thing as a hunter, you just have a buddy helping you out.

Maybe I don't know enough about the wider series lore, and probably never will. The only bit I've actually played is the MH4 demo., which was heading out into a monster's territory f'ra laugh with yer cat buddies to chop him/her up. It's probably more subtle than that. Subtle like a penis dragon.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyMon 18 Sep 2017 - 20:21

Balladeer wrote:
Don't worry, I've reached that area.  Pig success! Grin Also...

Rare-ish second area monster:

Well...:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyWed 20 Sep 2017 - 18:56

Ha! I has one. It is very silly. Prefer the other one though.

Although it's not my favourite... Possibly the best thing about this game is how each monster feels noticeably different to ride. Nowhere is this more true than...

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyWed 20 Sep 2017 - 20:03

Have you used its kinship skill yet Balla? You're in for a treat.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyThu 21 Sep 2017 - 20:19

Give me time. I do however have its armour. Trucy Wright cosplay or Guardian from Bravely Second? Decisions decisions...

Sakura blossoms in any game are a cheap way to make me go goo-goo eyed.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyFri 22 Sep 2017 - 20:42

Has anyone seen the news? Apparently an upconming patch is adding loads of rideable monsters. Capcom showing how it's done, as per usual.

Also, I've got a lot of time for Balla's current location.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyFri 22 Sep 2017 - 20:48

I'm absolutely up for more rideable monsters.  Just been catching hatching some more on Monsonne Plains.  Want dat spongey thing.  I have less time for silly-nosed dragon.  

A criticism I have: too many reptiles.  The mammals/amphibians are by and large my favourites. Also, I'm guessing the monsters don't 'evolve': surely it would make sense to have Zamites evolving into Zamtrioses? Maybe not from the point of view of the series as a whole, but as a Pokémon-alike... I know there'd then be an issue with memory constraints, hopefully this gets a sequel on Switch.

JayMoyles wrote:
Have you used its kinship skill yet Balla? You're in for a treat.

Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 633
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptySat 23 Sep 2017 - 1:49

Balla wrote:
A criticism I have: too many reptiles. The mammals/amphibians are by and large my favourites. Also, I'm guessing the monsters don't 'evolve': surely it would make sense to have Zamites evolving into Zamtrioses? Maybe not from the point of view of the series as a whole, but as a Pokémon-alike... I know there'd then be an issue with memory constraints, hopefully this gets a sequel on Switch.

I think the closest thing you will get to evolving is changing the elemental statuses they can do, so you could have a Zamtrios do fire damage if you wanted to.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptySun 24 Sep 2017 - 1:01

Balladeer wrote:

A criticism I have: too many reptiles.

Hmm... you'll get plenty of wyverns and monsters which are essentially dinosaurs, but there's some good 'uns coming your way soon.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyMon 25 Sep 2017 - 21:52

Reverto has showed up.  For real. And he's talking to Navirou.

I'm back to thinking the characters are rubbish again. Matthew Castle
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyThu 28 Sep 2017 - 14:11

The first of the free DLCs is out today.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS/Monster-Hunter-Stories--1215387.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=MonsterHunterStories%7CZeldaDLC%7Cw39#Extras
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyFri 29 Sep 2017 - 20:36

Never mind that...

What the heck is this???:

It's hilarious! Laughing
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyFri 29 Sep 2017 - 21:51

That's the good old Qurupeco, one of my favourites because it can mimic other monsters roars for help or also sing a wee song that puts you to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptyFri 29 Sep 2017 - 22:18

I mean I've hatched one, so I know its name.  It's just... I just...

Well played, designers.  You've lumbered me with a fair few shoddy ones (case in point: the one the boss brings along that's an utterly standard-issue dragon), this is a belter. Applause
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptySat 30 Sep 2017 - 13:29

I shall be returning to playing this soon as I am now on the final stretch of getting 100 percent in Samus Returns.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptySat 30 Sep 2017 - 19:28

Snap! I've been lost in Xenoverse 2 and Samus Returns but I'm eager to get back to this.

Love that you're enjoying the monsters, Balla, makes me smile. Smile

I don't know if this question has been posed to you yet, but with you getting into the world of Monster Hunter, has it at all tickled your fancy to play one of the main series games?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptySat 30 Sep 2017 - 20:45

JayMoyles wrote:
Snap! I've been lost in Xenoverse 2...

WRONG GAME WITH 'XENO' IN IT DAMN YOU!

JayMoyles wrote:
Love that you're enjoying the monsters, Balla, makes me smile. Smile

Ehh... I don't want to make that happy expression sad, buuuuut... 😅 there are some good ones and a lot of slightly dull dragon/dinosaur ones. I won't tolerate any fan of the Monster Hunter series criticising Pokémon designs from now on, put it that way.

JayMoyles wrote:
I don't know if this question has been posed to you yet, but with you getting into the world of Monster Hunter, has it at all tickled your fancy to play one of the main series games?

It hasn't, and... er... it hasn't. Sorry. For a few reasons: the gameplay is completely different, and from what brief experience I've had, I prefer the MHS gameplay; the focus is on single-player, and I remain worried about the combination of online multiplayer and my addictive personality; and looking at the monster designs on Google, the art style looks a lot more colourful and fun in MHS compared to the main games. A main game Qurupeco still looks stupid, but stupid in a way that'd rip your arm off when it's done.

I am enjoying the game though. Apart from Navirou. And the pink sub-quest dragon that just tore my team a new one.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 EmptySat 30 Sep 2017 - 22:03

Balla wrote:
Ehh... I don't want to make that happy expression sad, buuuuut... 😅 there are some good ones and a lot of slightly dull dragon/dinosaur ones. I won't tolerate any fan of the Monster Hunter series criticising Pokémon designs from now on, put it that way.

Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 Tumblr_owrf0hVAjE1ssr51lo1_1280

I joke of course because it's just personal preference at the end of it all & you clearly lean to side of liking the cutesy stuff more.

To the bit in bold: We get where you are coming from as we've said as much on the early eps of Monster mash about the dromes etc being "just a dinosaur" but I will say that the monsters come alive in a certain way in the main series that is always going to be tough to fully portray in Stories as they might have a move set or a personality that offsets the dragon/dinosaur design.

As for the pokemans it also has own version of the "dull dragon/dinosaur" an it's oh it's just a mouse/cat/fish/coconut tree. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall   Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Monster Hunter Stories: Monsters that are Ten Stories Tall
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next