We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc

Go down 
+9
The_Jaster
Balladeer
beemoh
Buskalilly
The Cappuccino Kid
Crumpy Andy
Cube
JayMoyles
masofdas
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc Empty
PostSubject: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyTue 1 Apr 2014 - 10:02

Me & Jay posted some lovely gaming pictures of some fighter's. With me saying SF is boring and Jay saying that's not the thread to discuss it.

I don't think any of the fighting games are big as a Zelda or Final Fantasy to have there own thread. So there all bundled in here.

Last edited by masofdas on Tue 1 Apr 2014 - 22:10; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyTue 1 Apr 2014 - 18:01

My first fighting game love was probably Soul Calibur 2, all told. I was drawn into it by seeing Link involved, and I ended up having a grand time with it. I think Soul Calibur 2's story mode is the best story mode I've seen in a fighting game. I picked up Soul Calibur IV when it came out years later, and whilst online play was fun and all, I still prefered SC2.

I got into Tekken 3 pretty hard in between SCII and IV. It's probably my favourite fighting game in terms of sitting down with a few mates and just having a laugh. It was complex enough that you could impress your mates with a crazy combo, but basic enough that you could still put up a fight if you didn't know any combos.

I actually didn't get along with SFII the first time I played it. It was SFII Hyper Turbo Super whatever-the-fuck-it-was Edition on the 360, and I wasn't particularly impressed. I loved the character designs and I really wanted to get into it, but I just couldn't for whatever reason. Fast forward a little bit to Street Fighter IV coming out, and I finally got why Street Fighter was so successful. I had a few mates to play with online, and we just practiced against each other. It wasn't a casual fighting game on any level - you could come in with the knowledge of how to perform a hadouken or whatever, but there was so much more you had to do in order to win a match. I poured hundreds of hours into SFIV without regret.

I've not played DoA or Mortal Kombat so I can't comment, but I didn't get along with KoF when I played it either - probably for the same unexplainable reasons as SFII. Maybe it felt clunky to me? I don't know. Guilty Gear is another solid fighting series, although I'm crap at it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Cube
Garreg Mach Geography Teacher

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyTue 1 Apr 2014 - 18:18

I remember one really awesome one on the N64 where you could be a cow. I can't remember the name, though.

I also enjoyed Soul Calibur 2, mainly due to Link. I tried 4, played though the story once as Yoda and sent it back (it was a rental) as I wasn't that impressed.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyTue 1 Apr 2014 - 18:21

4's best feature for me was the online - Yoda was a little shit with terrible hitbox issues. He was like Gon the dinosaur from Tekken 3, but competent.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyTue 1 Apr 2014 - 18:46

I like Mortal Kombat and Injustice, I don't mind the occasional game of Tekken or Dead of Alive. I'm not a fan of fighting games that involve too much learning, especially if the characters all have very different move sets like Street Fighter. I wouldn't go as far as calling it boring though, I just know I don't want to devote the time to getting good enough to play it.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyTue 1 Apr 2014 - 19:27

Cube wrote:
I remember one really awesome one on the N64 where you could be a cow. I can't remember the name, though.

Fighter's Destiny, natch.

~

I don't doubt that someone will crop on with 'it's not a fighter!', but Melee on the GameCube really is the best of the best, isn't it (yes)? I quite like a game of Tekken and Street Fighter, and find the rest you can think of to be playable enough (except Virtua Fighter, which just isn't my sort of fighter).
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyTue 1 Apr 2014 - 20:12

I'd count Melee as a fighter, sure. I mean, it's massively represented at EVO, the fighting game tournament. Brawl - maybe not.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyTue 1 Apr 2014 - 20:45

Melee can be played with four people of wildly varying levels of skill and everyone has a laugh. It's definitely in a class of it's own.
That being said, I've had some great nights sitting down with a mate and street fighter and just playing non stop. When you find someone you can have a decent back and forth with, and you make a thing of it, that's unbeatable.

I used to play Tekken with my dad a lot on PS1 but the moves and that haven't stayed with me like the shoryukens and spinning lariats of street fighter. I think Tekken, for me, is one of those nostalgic memories to never be recaptured.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyTue 1 Apr 2014 - 22:09

MK9 and Injustice have the best story modes in fighter's it's one of the reasons the new KI feels like half the game is missing.

Well seeing everyone put where they started with the genre, my love for the genre starts all the way back in 1993 with MKII which is still brilliant even with those graphics.  I did play SFII but found it slow and boring compared to MK.  There was a few others like eternal champions that got a lot of play.

Then came the PS1 & Saturn with Tekken series with 3 still being the highlight of the series,  and the 2D ones on the Saturn such as KOF95, Street Fighter v X-Men.  I did play KI on the SNES & N64 with both being decent enough.  There was a few weird ones like cardinal syn & plasma swords predecessor.  

Then came the dreamcast with what is still one of the best fighter's in Soul Calibur then you got so many others be it 2D or 3D. It was a fighter's dream especially with MvC2.

With the dreamcast dieing,  and the xbox launching with DOA3 it made perfect sense to get one for that and during that gen you had Soul Calibur II which I bought all three versions of it with the Cube version getting the most play out of the three.

The 360/PS3 had some okay fighter's in DOA4, and the above MK9, Injustice.

I did play other's like Virtua Fighter, the rest of the MK series etc but none stands out as much as those above.

On SMASH it's in own thing, I guess it is a fighter as it's at EVO even if it's not in the transitional sense a fighter.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyTue 1 Apr 2014 - 22:17

I couldn't get into Marvel vs Capcom 2. I think the fact that being good at it requires insane insane skills put me off.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyTue 1 Apr 2014 - 22:20

It's the best fighter of all-time Jay what's your name Andy with your madness.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 4:27

I honestly have to disagree with that. There's too much of a reliance on juggling and air combos - there's no balance or space to try a different playstyle.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 8:08

I think I've only ever really got along with Soul Calibur, although I very nearly got the hang of Dead Or Alive one time.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 13:41

Maybe I'm just good at MvC2 so  don't see the problem Jay but to me it's the very best, hence why there was so much demand for a 3rd which I did find not so good.

To me the 10 best fighter's have to be (in no order):
KOF 99 evolution (DC), I use Mai, Terry and the others 2 didn't really bother me
Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (DC), I use Cable, Cyclops and Dr Doom
Mortal Kombat II (MD), I use Baraka
Street Fighter Alpha III (DC), I use Cammy
Killer Instinct (SNES), I use Orchid
Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate (Xbox), I use Ayane
Soulcalibur (DC), I use Seong Mi-na
Tekken 3 (PS1), I use Hwoarang
Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3), I use Sarah Bryant
Super Smash Bro Melee (GC), I use Marth
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 13:46

I absolutely have MvsC, it's totally impenetrable for noobs. I don't think I've ever had a worse time playing a fighter than that.
I really don't think the older fighters have aged well. I'd much rather play a newer smoother one like, SSF4, MK9(?) and TTT2

Also I do love Melee (and Brawl) but like Buska that is a special fighter. It's just so different and easy and fun to pick up and play that I always overlook it when thinking of fighters.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 14:01

I put smash in my top 10 as it at EVO, and only wanted one game per series.

Yeah the newest MK is 9.

See I would totally disagree what your saying about fighters aging, it's the only genre in my eyes that age doesn't matter as along ad there fairly balanced that's why back at evo 2010 you had UMK3 being played and still have SFII played at tournaments as the core game is still great.

Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 15:17

I'd agree with Andy on older fighters aging. There's some that still hold up - namely Tekken 3 - but the majority don't for me.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 15:24

6 out of the 10 I said that are top tier (fighting fans will get it) are only from 2 gens ago, so to me there not old maybe MKII & KI back from the 16bit era you could say have aged and you could replace with MK9 & KI3 even though I personally would sooner play the older two.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 15:28

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
I don't doubt that someone will crop on with 'it's not a fighter!', but Melee on the GameCube really is the best of the best, isn't it (yes)?

Yes. Has some competition from Brawl, but there's no doubt that SSBM is the better fighter. SSBB just chucks more stuff into the mix (Meta Knight).

Other than those two, the only fighting game I've played is SC2, because of Rinkydink's presence. I then barely used him at all, preferring to spam my way through the one-player mode with Voldo's Demon Elbow, and playing as Talim in a few more serious games. The Wii Voting Thread also alerted me to a couple that I should have picked up - namely Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Punch-Out!!

In general, though, I don't have the reflexes to excel at fighters, nor the patience to learn all the moves. I could probably give people a decent game of Smash, due to immersing myself in its world for hundreds of hours, but most of that's having fun rather than honing my skills. I don't "main", for example; and my favourite chap to play as is Lucas, who comes right down the tier chart.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 15:31

I wouldn't call Punch-Out a fighter really. It's more of an arcadey sports game. But that's treading into dangerous "hurr what is a fighter 1v1 me casul i'll rek u" territory.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 15:35

It appeared in the fighters' week. It's a fighter. Razz But I do see your point, in that it's not in the same vein as the other games in the thread. Its campaign is more puzzley, and more of a focus than the multiplayer.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 15:41

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is in the same boat as MvC you have to be good at it.

See you say you have not got the patience to learn the move-sets which you need to do in fighters, like i can tell you raidens superman move is back forward A on MKII. It's like riding a bike once you no what your doing it comes naturally.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 15:42

...I took eleven years to learn how to ride a bike. Sulk
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 15:46

Poor Balla  Boo-hoo 
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 16:11

Oh yeah, it definitely takes practice. Getting decent at SFIV was like ramming my head against a brick wall until eventually I rammed my way through.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc   Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc Empty

Back to top Go down

Fighters, DOA, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF, BlazBlue etc
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next