We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps

Go down 
+12
Axis1500
ZeroJones
Jimbob
fronkhead
MatthewNG
The_Jaster
Zaphod_B
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
masofdas
JayMoyles
Balladeer
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps Empty
PostSubject: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptySun 28 Sep 2014 - 12:36

Stickied?  You betcha [it was - the guys haven't done a podcast in months, so I'm taking Balla's suggestion to unsticky this. We'll put it back if necessary - Zero].  This forum has deep and abiding links with the people who are doing this podcast.

MatthewNG wrote:
Hello! Me again. So, I can finally talk about the cool side project (well, I think it's cool, anyway) - it's a podcast called The Rotating Platform, starring Mark Green and N64 Magazine's Alan Maddrell. And me. It's a podcast about videogames of all shapes and sizes, and features a live musical performance. You can check out the first episode here: http://therotatingplatform.com We've had great fun putting it together, so I hope you guys dig it too. Do let us know what you think!

I'll be updating this post with links to the new podcasts, but obviously go leave feedback in the site linked to above, so that Matthew, Greener, Alan, and anyone else they rope in know that we appreciate it.  (Except the comments functionality doesn't let you use the html tags it says are usable. Sad )

Podcast episodes on the site.

I think that says most of it, apart from me giving my thoughts:

1. These are the people who made the magazines whence our forum originated.  If you're not keen on this sort of thing, what is wrong with you?
  2. It's great.  Really really funny.  The classic N64 Magazine (etc.) humour distilled into a podcast.  Some nice musical interludes as well: the theme tune is top-notch.
  3. That Jam with the Band feature had better be a regular thing.  I'm hoping for some Tropical Freeze tunes soon.
  4. Obviously I'd be suggesting Meteos for the Space Ark.  (Also, Binary System sounds like Luna=Luna: the Game.)  I do want to go and try out The Room now, though.  (Pullblox can, as I believe they say, "do one".)
  5. Do we keep forumites' Predict-O-Names suggestions in here, or do they deserve their own thread?

6. The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps Thor_Another

Last edited by Balladeer on Tue 8 Dec 2020 - 21:16; edited 15 times in total (Reason for editing : Unstickied.)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptySun 28 Sep 2014 - 13:08

That Jam With The Band feature had me laughing so much - they could barely keep it together! I love how they went onto the next segment with absolutely no mention of how their performance went, fantastic stuff.

But as Balla said, this is pretty much the humour of N64/NGC/NGamer distilled into podcast form - what's not to love about that?

My Predict-O-Name contributions for this edition are as follows:

1) Originally Uruguay - I'm getting a Sensible Soccer vibe from this name, so perhaps a Uruguay themed football game, replete with Luis Suarez biting minigames.

2) Truck Photography Fugitives - Sort of a Splinter Cell or a Hitman stealth title where the end goal isn't to do someone in, but to take a picture of an big rig and send it to Truck and Drive magazine. Why are you a fugitive in the first place? I don't know - perhaps you sent a picture of a Fiat 500 to the magazine.

Top work lads. Looking forward to the next.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptySun 28 Sep 2014 - 13:24

I'll do two as well:
  1. Turns Every Egg Howls: ...okay, make that three.
  2. Wider Sizeable: Possibly like Muscle March in that you need to fit people into gaps as the gaps come towards you. Only instead of muscular people, you've got fat people.
  3. Product Embryo: Now this is better. Grow your own animalian bio-soldier, then control him as he escapes from his laboratory, Mewtwo Strikes Back-style. Contains elements from Second Sight, with a storyline out of the Final Fantasy series.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptySun 28 Sep 2014 - 18:13

Finished Listening to, it was pretty good

For the Space Ark this week I would most likely take Bust-A-Move 2
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyMon 29 Sep 2014 - 11:32

I listened to this on the train yesterday morning but I was pretty zonked so have no memory of it besides the rendition of The Final Countdown. It wasn't until I started my second listen this morning I discovered they were playing Jam With the Band.

Will give more thoughts after the gym when I finish listening, but dead keen for this to continue!

EDIT: listened to it all now and thoroughly enjoyed it. Long may it continue.

The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps Bys1dWwCUAAyfsc

Also, I'm deliberately typing on my kindle right now so the autocorrect that brought you tenderloin minimise can unleash some predictonames!

Neutral Don'tdon't
I have no idea why it would decide I was writing the same word twice without a space like that, but there you go. I think it would be a block puzzler with a brightly coloured aesthetic that only ever explained the title in the vaguest sense.

Immanuel Businesswomen
Like a really, really dull lifestyle sim in which the protagonist at the end reveals that he wasn't a woman, but historical philosopher Immanuel Kant in disguise.

Feel Tendency
Probably a JRPG with "feel tendencies" a part of the battle mechanic.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyMon 29 Sep 2014 - 18:54

I said it elsewhere, Drunka, but that is sterling work. Not the type of rake I imagined, but that quite possibly makes it even better.

Feel Tendency reminds me of a game called Akiba's Trip. I'm not linking to it while I'm at work, for reasons that should be obvious if you elide the title words.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyMon 29 Sep 2014 - 20:12

Excellent stuff guys, I love podcasts!
Back to top Go down
Zaphod_B
Wonderful
Zaphod_B

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyTue 30 Sep 2014 - 7:27

Loved it, fun listening and I agree with practically everyone that the Jam with the Band segment was amazeballs, more of that in future I hope!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyTue 30 Sep 2014 - 10:09

I think the barely stifled giggles only enhanced that segment.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyWed 1 Oct 2014 - 1:03

This was indeed great stuff! My space ark suggestion would be Sujin Taisen: Number battles.
Back to top Go down
MatthewNG
Splatted Goomba

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyFri 3 Oct 2014 - 8:48

Hey gang. Thanks for the support and kind words. Episode 2 is live... now. Hope you enjoy it!

http://therotatingplatform.com/2014/10/02/episode-2-thinking-outside-the-cardboard-box/
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyFri 3 Oct 2014 - 10:59

I'm listening now and am currently feeling the urge to go home and play SSX, albeit the recent one that was slagged off Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyFri 3 Oct 2014 - 23:26

Good week again

Ohh Sports genre this week that's a hard one as a bit like puzzle lot's of different things come under it, but I might go for Amped 3 as there's loads to do with all it's challenges even if the game is only good at best.

masofdas' space ark
Puzzle: Bust-A-Move 2
Sports: Amped 3
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptySat 4 Oct 2014 - 12:19

Bit late to this but I've really enjoyed listening into both episodes, with the Jam With The Band segment having me literally cry with laughter. The Space Ark is a keeper, too, lots of intelligent chat there. Alan's knowledge on iOS/Android games is nice, too, seems to balance the discussion a bit and widen the reach of what's being chatted about.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptySun 5 Oct 2014 - 10:28

Drunkalilly wrote:
The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps Bys1dWwCUAAyfsc

Also, I'm deliberately typing on my kindle right now so the autocorrect that brought you tenderloin minimise can unleash some predictonames!

Neutral Don'tdon't
I have no idea why it would decide I was writing the same word twice without a space like that, but there you go. I think it would be a block puzzler with a brightly coloured aesthetic that only ever explained the title in the vaguest sense.

I was going to Prototype Snakeskin Blake on GameMakerStudio, but to be honest I can't top that! I'd totally believe Neutral Don'tDon't though.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptySun 5 Oct 2014 - 11:17

My Predict-O-Name contributions:

1) Jot Junk: essentially a Draw Something clone.

2) Nul Nair Is Worse: life simulator game in which you have to perform minigame tasks purposely badly, so as to avoid the response "Nul Nair is worse". If you are at the bottom of the leaderboard, that is success.

Enjoyed the first one, most particularly the stifled laughter on the Jam With The Band section, and am currently listening to the second one. 'tis good.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyMon 6 Oct 2014 - 9:00

I'm about halfway through the second episode, but I wanted to ask - what's the "tune" they're "playing"?

Also:

The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps Tumblr_mr6aurtUlW1s6zrg8o1_400
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyMon 6 Oct 2014 - 9:10

From memory I believe it was this
I have a bad memory so be warned, this could be very wrong.:
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyMon 6 Oct 2014 - 19:11

Loved it again. And just like last time, the best bit was Matthew getting way too into the end of the world in the Space Ark section. Makes me wanna play SSX or another snowboarding game.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyTue 7 Oct 2014 - 9:13

Think you're right, Andy. A song about how romantic a stalker is. Add that to my list of popular songs that have a substantial disconnect with the real world (have you ever seen a house without a roof, Mr. Williams? It's just depressing).

Another great podcast, gents. Matthew would make the best evil overlord - looks utterly innocuous, so nobody would suspect him, but a cold dead heart underneath it all. My favourite bit, though, was the GTAVI suggestions, especially Greener's! I'd like to add some of my own ideas to the list:
  • Why just dogs? Let us control cats, gerbils, and falcons too. The falcons in particular come in handy for the 1000AD DLC.
  • A gun that shoots candyfloss. Fight your enemies with diabetes.
  • Include different, non-American locales. Examples are London, the Amazon, and Rainbow Road.
  • Halfway through, it becomes a turn-based RPG.

And for the Space Ark, following the eventual cancellation of the long-delayed Ruud Gullit's Shexy Shexy Football in 2514, I'd suggest Mario Tennis. It takes a lot to make me enjoy a sports game, but this managed it.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyTue 7 Oct 2014 - 9:56

That sounds more like you would see in Saints Row with things like the dubstep gun and hell as a location all ready in.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyTue 7 Oct 2014 - 10:08

They mentioned said gun in the podcast, and that's where my idea came from. (That and Greener losing his teeth.)

That's also the general impression I got: that the Saints Row series is GTA but keraaaaaaazy. I'd probably get on quite well with it, actually (although I don't find whacking somebody with an oversized sex toy funny, I'm afraid).

Anyway, that's settled then: GTAVI should be Saints Row 5. With dragons, and JRPG mechanics.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyTue 7 Oct 2014 - 10:27

GTA should be Saints? Lol! GTA has an infinitely better sense of humour without the need for ridiculous gimmicks.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptyFri 10 Oct 2014 - 23:58

Finally got a chance to listen to this on the train today and trying to not laugh out loud during the Jam With The Band segment was a colossal task. By and large my favourite segment.

Oh, and I'm surprised no-one suggested a Mario sports game for the Space Ark. Mario Power Tennis was cracking.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps EmptySat 11 Oct 2014 - 9:51

If you look on the TRP website, I suggested Mario Tennis. None of this "Power Shots" nonsense. Nah nah!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps Empty

Back to top Go down

The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps
Page 1 of 15Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next