We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps

Go down 
+12
Axis1500
ZeroJones
Jimbob
fronkhead
MatthewNG
The_Jaster
Zaphod_B
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
masofdas
JayMoyles
Balladeer
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptySat 11 Oct 2014 - 21:00

I never played the original, so I'll borrow Matthew's Tony Hawk argument about falling in love with the one you play first for the reasoning behind suggesing MPT.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptySun 12 Oct 2014 - 15:57

In the absence of a Matthew-post, I'll say that the third TRP episode has gone up.  A lot of dull non-Nintendo stuff, by the sounds of things. Sleep
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptySun 12 Oct 2014 - 18:06

Another great VIDEO GAME podcast there but some poor picks for the beat'em up category there's only one choice streets of rage 2.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptySun 12 Oct 2014 - 21:51

I've downloaded it, will give it a listen tomorrow morning at the ol' gymnastium.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 Oct 2014 - 1:16

Really enjoyed Episode 3.

Oh, and you can now subscribe to it via iTunes. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-rotating-platform/id925786222#
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 Oct 2014 - 6:36

Downloading as we speak. Yesterday I found how to put Auto Correct back on my phone, so I have this Predict-O-Name suggestion (the previous ones were made on a website offering a predictive text service Meh ):

Hugh Huff Hogs: it's a tower defence game, where you blow into the microphone of your Nintendo device to stop hordes of rampaging pigs from attacking Hugh's castle.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyMon 13 Oct 2014 - 7:59

NOT THE MICROPHONE. No

Halfway through now. My post above was mostly joking, but following Matthew's defection and the list of "games we've been playing", I was worried that we'd genuinely see a move away from Nintendo materials. Aww! Fortunately you lot then moved back on to Rocket, that Narnia game, and HW, so that's all right. Grin

Also, as a discussion topic arising from the podcast, what are people's opinions on free-to-play games? (Apologies if we've had this discussion before.) I know that there are some parts of the Internet that think they're the spawn of the devil, but even I would rather have the entire game unlocked for a down payment from the get-go.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 10:07

Another cracking podcast. My only annoyance was Matthew pronouncing Saron like the X-Men character not the Lord of the Rings
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 10:49

Best part of the 'cast? Confirmation that Masofdas can't criticise me for calling Smash Bros. and its ilk "beat-em-ups" any more, because I'm not a Yank. Dance

Also, an attempt to revive the dead on board the Space Ark sounds like the premise of either a really bad, or really good, zombie film. "Oh no, it's undead Shigeru Miyamoto! Will he play the ukelele - or eat your brains?"
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 11:04

I think the fact that they pronounced Sauron wrong also makes that point moot Winky Face Need 2 different names for 2 VERY different genres dammit
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 12:28

But they did continue calling 2D side-scrolling beat-em ups, I guess when they do FIGHTERS like it's called at EVO they will call it one on one beat-em ups which is just silly as SMASH unless your playing at a high-level your most likely playing 4 player so doesn't fit the whole one on one criteria.

I've always called Street of Rage etc Beat-Em Ups and this from way back in 1993 when you didn't know what the sates called them as unlike today you didn't have the internet etc just magazines & games shops whom would say the genre. Same with Street Fighter was always called a fighter.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 12:36

Plus there's a tag mode in almost all fighters so 1 vs 1 makes even less sense Razz
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 12:38

Exactly but it's normally one on one on the screen with maybe assist button to bring another character in to do something or to tag out but with SMASH there's up to 4 characters on screen at once.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 12:41

I pretty well stick Smash Bros into a genre of its own.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 12:43

It is kinda but at pro level it's played like a proper FIGHTER and I would think that's where it would go if it goes into the Ark unless they think you and have a weird other week which SMASH goes into.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 13:25

I get my definition from magazines too - N64 was using "beat-em-up" to refer to Killer Instinct on the 64 since day one. For me, Double Dragon and the like are brawlers. Not that I ever talk about them much anyway.

Anyway, I'm not saying that your definition is wrong, Mas - just that you can't say that mine is either.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 13:43

Mega Drive (Actually it was Games Master I used to read) was before the N64 Dance

I don't mind the the term brawler for beat-em ups but I do and will always will see Beat-Em Up as Double Dragon not Street Fighter, so if you said I played this great beat-em up last night Street Fighter wouldn't even come to mind.

We will see what they say the genre is when they come to add likes of Street Fighter in but would gather they go Fighter or One on One Beat-Em Ups
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 13:59

What about when smash bros has scrolling stages to fight on? Winky Face

---

Anyhow, another great episode and I have to admit I got a bit nervy listening to their thoughts on Alien Isolation at first but glad to hear they are enjoying it & I totally get what Greener meant by how it's like you are playing fetch with a giant dog. Laughing

Speaking of Greener, does anyone else find that him and Alan sound the same? I'm sure I'll adjust but it's a been a bit confusing for these first few eps......oh I also loved when The Castle mistakenly said space Mark instead of space ark.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 14:39

I did start off thinking that, but I've acclimatised to their different voices over the course of the podcast. Mark sounds lower and more chilled.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 16:00

There are moments but Greener sounds a bit west country (or at least more west country) than Alan so wasn't a problem for me.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Oct 2014 - 20:13

In my spreadsheet of games (YES), Super Smash Bros. is listed as a 'Beat-'em-up' (I've been thinking about losing the hyphens, but, tradition) but Viewtiful Joe is listed as 'Scrolling beat-'em-up'. For the record, there are no games listed as either 'Action' or 'Adventure'. No
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyWed 15 Oct 2014 - 6:48

I've always called typical fighting games like Street Fighter and Soul Calibur as fighters and then your Streets of Rages and Final Fights as beat-em-ups.

100% True Facts was an amazing segment. The lego brick fact had me unashamedly laughing to myself in the street.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyWed 15 Oct 2014 - 9:22

Yup, it was a notch above the other segments.

(leaves at a run)
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptyWed 15 Oct 2014 - 12:06

ZeroJones wrote:
For the record, there are no games listed as either 'Action' or 'Adventure'. No

What do you stick Zelda under, if you don't mind my asking? I always use adventure.
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 EmptySat 18 Oct 2014 - 19:10

Episode 4 is now up! Go Go Go!

Another very entertaining episode. I'm not normally a Podcast guy, but I really look forward to each episode of TRP.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps   The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Rotating Platform and Other Podcasts from the NGamer Chaps
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next