We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!

Go down 
+13
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
fronkhead
ZeroJones
Treesmurf
shanks
Admin
masofdas
Crumpy Andy
Vidofnir
JayMoyles
Balladeer
Athrun888
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016 - 13:31

Drunkalilly wrote:
Athrun888 wrote:
Unless something champions actual hate speech or genuinely harmful views censorship is wrong

A gay character can be turned straight by the player, if the player wants them to bang a male. There is no option for them to actually have a gay experience.

That is backwards shit. Japan is behind us on this issue, and Nintendo is bringing us a version of the game that has been dragged into the 21st century.

As far as I'm aware the character is basically bi. Not having female S ranks is a valid complaint, the male ones? Not so much. 

And if you want equality then you aren't going to get it from the localization either, because dollars to doughnuts they'll just edit it all out and make it all completely non-sexual, which, lets be honest, is essentially the same message you're claiming the game originally had, only phrased slightly differently.

Now I'm done dignifying this subject with my time.  I have little patience for this nonsense at the best of times, with the crock of dung life handed me today, well, lets just say my patience for such irrelevancies has run out, as have my manners.  

It ran its course months ago anyway, and my remarks were very clearly regarding a completely different issue.  None of us are changing our minds about the Soleil thing anyway and all any further debate will do is get nasty, which is probably why I'm irritated at seeing it dredged up yet again over a different subject.  The horse is dead, I think stopping before it's flayed to a bloody mush would be a nice idea.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016 - 17:43

Well the problem with the majority of the S-Rank male interactions is that if you read them she clearly states a preference for females, and just likes the odd guy. However, she can marry loads of guys and not a single woman. That's heteronormalisation. What's worse is that she basically shows no interest sexually in many of the males until the guy proposes and she just says yeah ok cool. Consequently there will be people who read that as her giving into social norms - heterosexual marriage - and not following her sexual preference for women. That's definitely something a game could talk about, but I sincerely doubt the character conversations of a FE game is a venue that will generate something worthwhile with respect to that matter.

I'm sure the intention of the devs/writers was to just make it easier for players to generate future units of a certain type or with certain stats by having Soleil marry blokes. I doubt that they intended any harm, but I can see why some people are upset about it.

You can call it an irrelevancy if you like, and certainly the writing that I've seen of Fates, like prior FE games, is clearly intended to be light hearted. But, to me the portrayal of sexuality is immensely important because it is such an intimate and personal human subject. As long as an aspect of a game's narrative can be interpreted as heteronormative, then I'm always going to advocate changing that.

I'm passionate about games, and passionate about all sexualities being celebrated. I view Fates as having an element which is incongruous with that, so I absolutely want to talk about it - including with people who disagree. While you may be skeptical about what good any of the changes will bring, I'm going to reserve judgement until we get an official release.

Also I disagree that the wholesale removal of any romance options for Soleil as conveying "essentially the same message" the game had for two reasons.

1: The vast majority of people who play FE Fates will have no idea that anything has been changed, thus if she cannot romance anyone then it would be pretty easy to read that as her not being in love with any companion or simply the other female companions do not reciprocate Soleil's feelings.

2: If the writers cannot convey anything valuable about Soleil's sexual identity then it is definitely better for them to say nothing at all.

If you don't want to talk about this aspect of Fates then that's totally fine. I respectfully won't write anymore than this on the subject, but I wouldn't call it being brought up again as flaying a dead horse.

What I cherrish about Gnamer is the people who make up the forum. It's a closely knit bunch of regulars and semi-regulars, each of whom have valuable things to say about games and off topic matters. I've had a strong disagreement with Mas, for example, over the Retro VGS system. Our disagreement generated an interesting discussion, and even though we continue to disagree on the subject, I appreciated him taking the time to express the issue through his eyes and vice/versa.  Similarly, differences of opinion I've had with Jay/Jaster over Dark Souls, Baladeer over Majora's Mask, or Andy over Uncharted are also moments where I've really appreciated them taking the time to convey their diametrically opposed views.

In addition to sharing what we've bought, what we're looking forward to, or some humour, Gnamer is a great place for having a chinwag over things we don't have in common. Even something as sensitive as what censorship is or the portrayal of sexuality in a game is an aspect of Gnamer where I like seeing what other people think. Even if nothing gets settled, and nothing probably will be settled, just exchanging ideas is a tip-top way to further nuance ones own thoughts on a matter in riposte to those of another.  

If that ultimately means a dead horse will be reduced to nothing more than a bloody paste, then I, for one, will gladly toast whomever I'm interacting with on the forum with that paste, and I'm a vegetarian!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016 - 17:47

Muss wrote:
I'm a vegetarian!

I've seen you eat KFC
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016 - 17:56

Yeah, but there wasn't anywhere else and I didn't want to cause a fuss. I haven't eaten any meat this year.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016 - 17:59

But
Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 5249.69-tumblr_kze25rtDkb1qa4by8o1_1280
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016 - 19:11

Well
Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 Kale+Is+Cool
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016 - 19:36

Surely there's a vegetarian option at KFC? Shocked
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016 - 19:42

We got a bargain bucket

also I was just trying to lighten the mood of the thread and that's the first thing that I saw I could use

Last edited by masofdas on Sun 21 Feb 2016 - 18:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016 - 22:51

ZeroJones wrote:

They have another branch called KFV for that. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptyWed 24 Feb 2016 - 8:31

It's very unlikely its chicken meat anyway if that helps.

It probably doesn't help.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptyWed 24 Feb 2016 - 10:45

In Muss' defence, he's mostly a vegetarian for environmental reasons, so it made more sense for him to eat the chicken I'd already ordered than to let it go to waste.

I wish I had the strength to join him, for all the reasons: environmental, animal welfare and health. But I really like meat.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptyWed 24 Feb 2016 - 11:38

I'm the opposite I'm a meatatarian, I'm thinking of the plants by eating animals
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptyWed 24 Feb 2016 - 19:39

You're all heart, Shanks.

Well - about 25% heart after that last meal.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptyWed 24 Feb 2016 - 23:24

The_Jaster wrote:
ZeroJones wrote:

They have another branch called KFV for that. Winky Face  

Kentucky Fried Veal would be the opposite of a solution...
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptyWed 24 Feb 2016 - 23:34

Applause Jimbob & Shanks

Meanwhile in boring sales news...

Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 Good10

Over 300,000 units sold over the launch weekend across all versions in the U.S! Looks like Ninty will be back to work on another edition to the series soon.

Makes one hope they'll look into returning another 'niche' series in F-Zero. Oh I know, completely unrelated genres but one can hope right?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptyThu 25 Feb 2016 - 8:55

Considering Shigsy's argument was that there's nothing new they can do with F-Zero and neither of these FE games has really innovated, I don't see why not.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 27 Feb 2016 - 14:40

Watching kinda funny gamecast and Tim on there has been playing the Special Edition of Fates, which sounds really cool how it works as it's got all three games on one cart.

You play Birthright first then you can start again from Chapter 6 with Conquest then again from Chapter 6 with Revelation which is the true game ending.

I like how you don't have to do the first 6 Chapters over again and it's going to feel like playing one stupidly long game at 3 different POV's.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 27 Feb 2016 - 21:22

There's a version with all three on one cart? That kinda shows the other releases up as the pisstake they are...
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 27 Feb 2016 - 21:25

Yeah the Special Edition which is like $90 and rising in price already, that it is cheaper to buy one on Cart, guess Birthright best bet then buy the other two as DLC which is the only way to get the third outside the special edition anyway.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 27 Feb 2016 - 21:29

I thought Rev was a download?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 27 Feb 2016 - 21:31

It is, I just said only way to get the third version is DLC or buy the special edition.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 27 Feb 2016 - 21:37

No, I meant on the special edition.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptySat 27 Feb 2016 - 21:45

Okay well it's on it and is like 2 weeks early as well before it's available to download.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptyMon 29 Feb 2016 - 21:18

Won't be two weeks early by the time it reaches us though... Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 EmptyMon 29 Feb 2016 - 21:19

Well may still be depends on the European DLC plan I guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next