We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!

Go down 
+13
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
fronkhead
ZeroJones
Treesmurf
shanks
Admin
masofdas
Crumpy Andy
Vidofnir
JayMoyles
Balladeer
Athrun888
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyFri 4 Mar 2016 - 6:44

20th May for the game. We'll finally be able to use the oldest tagline in the Rainbow Tagline Super Backlog! Dance
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyFri 4 Mar 2016 - 7:03

That works for me; not gonna have the cashola or the free time before then.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyFri 4 Mar 2016 - 7:20

I'd prefer sooner, but I'm just happy to have a date! Bring it on!
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyFri 4 Mar 2016 - 7:34

when I saw the date my mind immediately went "that'd be right" as I'll be in Japan still, so I'll have to wait an extra three days Sad
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyFri 4 Mar 2016 - 11:06

When I saw May, I did think dam I wanted that sooner but hey the special edition looks nicer then I thought and remains the only way to get the revelations early.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyFri 4 Mar 2016 - 22:54

I really want to preorder that special edition! Anyone know when it's going on sale?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptySat 5 Mar 2016 - 6:52

Given its been available for pre-order at eb games for months and how america was utterly screwed over with stock I bet it's long since run out of available copies.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptySat 5 Mar 2016 - 9:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA6A-ySMHYI

So what's the apologist line for censorship going to be now, huh? HUH? And folks thought I was in the wrong that the games actual story and charcters would be bucthered, looks like I was more on the money than I ever wanted to be.

Suffice to say unless the pal localization is drastically different I'm not bothering with this now. This right here is exactly why Treehouse are laughing stocks when it comes to localization. There's localizing something for a different culture, and then there's literally treating it like one of those comic "abridged" parody series you see on youtube.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptySat 5 Mar 2016 - 9:38

Right. Athers isn't talking entirely out of his arse for once. I don't like the victorious tone, as though this one YouTube video has vindicated the earlier nonsense he's been chatting. All we know for sure is that in this one video, this one fella's copy misses this one obscure dialogue scene when replayed.

Thoughts
  • If this is a one - off glitch, or error, or they've decided there was no way to remove the objectionable content without removing the scene, that's fine. It won't ruin my enjoyment of the game.
  • If this is widespread in the game, that's lazy as all hell.
  • There's already an English translation in the game!??! Anyone who's really a culturally pure Japanophile could play the game if they wanted.
  • That English translation was probably done by Treehouse. Any decisions to remove content beyond that would be made by the higher ups at Nintendo. And that brings us to the real issue.

All this Treehouse hate, all these half - truths and rumours that Athrun888 is linking to, all this nonsense and false outrage, comes back to the same ol' well that all this horribleness comes from. Misogynists on the Internet don't like Alison Rapp, they don't like their games being made more inclusive, and they've gone on the attack.

I have no problem with properly discussing these issues, but the information we're going on is not trustworthy and is being very deliberately curated by hate groups.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptySat 5 Mar 2016 - 12:16

Athrun888 wrote:
[/url]

So what's the apologist line for censorship going to be now, huh?  HUH?

Rolling Eyes There isn't one; people are too busy enjoying the game...

But, seriously, nobody is actually a proponent of what you, continue to incorrectly, dub "censorship." You won't find anyone lauding this particular change as presented in that video, and it is disappointing when localisations curb content more often than not. Indeed, your quoted quip is quite the misnomer because it was the heteronormative aspects of the JP version that caused an outcry from the position alternate to your own.

As I've previously detailed, yeah I'm happy they changed that. When you have a bi character with a strong preference for women, and then allow her to marry 10 men only. That's reactionary wank.

It would have bothered me less if the game wanted to make a point about heteronormative culture, if the Bi character pursued females but just happened to be rejected, if she actually showed some attraction to the males before suddenly marrying them. But none of that is in the game, which frankly is a complete disservice to the bi character because her overriding identity within the game is that she has a strong preference for women. If the writers could only manage to make her a joke, e.g., she faints whenever she talks to a cute woman, based on her sexuality, then that's nothing less than an utter disgrace.

That said, I'd have happily bought a 1:1 (whatever that is) localisation on day 1 because I love FE gameplay. It's a shame if wider aspects of the plot have been altered for the PAL region, sure, but the overriding narrative is still going to be in sync with the JP version, and the gamplay will be in tact. I'm never going to understand the logic behind boycotting a game that's, overall, still going to be telling the same story. This isn't exactly the American Cut of Brazil (1984)
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptySat 5 Mar 2016 - 14:18

Drunkalilly wrote:
Right. Athers isn't talking entirely out of his arse for once. I don't like the victorious tone, as though this one YouTube video has vindicated the earlier nonsense he's been chatting. All we know for sure is that in this one video, this one fella's copy misses this one obscure dialogue scene when replayed.

Thoughts

• If this is a one - off glitch, or error, or they've decided there was no way to remove the objectionable content without removing the scene, that's fine. It won't ruin my enjoyment of the game.
  • If this is widespread in the game, that's lazy as all hell.
  • There's already an English translation in the game!??! Anyone who's really a culturally pure Japanophile could play the game if they wanted.
  • That English translation was probably done by Treehouse. Any decisions to remove content beyond that would be made by the higher ups at Nintendo. And that brings us to the real issue.

All this Treehouse hate, all these half - truths and rumours that Athrun888 is linking to, all this nonsense and false outrage, comes back to the same ol' well that all this horribleness comes from. Misogynists on the Internet don't like Alison Rapp, they don't like their games being made more inclusive, and they've gone on the attack.

I have no problem with properly discussing these issues, but the information we're going on is not trustworthy and is being very deliberately curated by hate groups.  

---Oh don't start that nonsense about everything being a social conflict.  The reality is both sides are rabid unprofessional *insert derogatory title of your choice here*.  Hence why when the gamergate controversy happened I ignored it entirely.  I don't even know who this Alison Rapp is, and frankly I don't want to know because it's irrelevant (I'll get to why in a minute).  

This is the entire problem with the issue, people that take sides in it always end up being of the "you're for or against us" mentality.  I'm not interested in their sides and their irrelevant conflict, I simply want my games to be localized properly and with utmost profession, which isn't happening.  If they cannot separate their personal views from the sensitive job of translating a script then they should be put in charge of something that better suits their skillset.  

---Back to Fates and to link it to the above borderline irrelevant tangent I posted, the point is, it has always been, that people who condone censorship are usually from one side or another of a social "debate".  

That makes them unfit, because they will start tinkering around with more than controversial and morally questionable content.  They will let their personal views and whims tinker with the very script itself, when the job is, or at the least it should be, about taking a game released in Japan and bringing over a professional and regionally appropriate version of it.  

I can, grudgingly, tolerate the Soleil thing, but the thing is it won't, and hasn't, stopped there.  According to some who have played the game there are character rewrites, there are (very bad) jokes inserted in to serious scenes, and yes, there is also actual censorship.  The video I posted is just one such case.  This is on top of documented cases of it in Awakening (Henry being the biggest showcase).  

---Being "inclusive" is one thing, that however does not mean we need a company going completely nanny-state on the buyers of their games (along with inserting some extremely poor memes to appear "cool").  The concept that things need to be dumbed down to be inclusive is an incorrect one, and in my opinion it also does a disservice to people in general.  

Not only that, but making a dumbed down "kiddy" script goes contrary to the actual game level design in Conquest, which I've heard gets genuinely brutal by the end and is well beyond a kids scope.  These games are designed for older kids at the absolute earliest.

---As for my supposed victorious tone, I'm only responding the way the "debate" made feel appropriate.  I'll admit it was a slight chink in the armour, I normally prefer to remain far more detached than that, but that's exactly why I'm sick of this.  It was a venomous thing before I entered the fray, and I will always rise to that sort of thing.  Believe it or not I'm still being incredibly restrained.

Having said that, I frankly think at this point I have the right to be a bit victorious, given everyone else seems all too happy to ridicule and mock me at every turn.  You can't expect me to maintain complete respect and tact given that.  The fact is the things I've been talking about existed long before the modern fad social debates that currently rage, they were the status quo for anime back in the 90's where character rewrites, script alterations, and incredibly lame forced jokes abounded in the most unfitting scenes.  

---TLDR: Social things are irrelevant I'm after a professional and accurate localization and the localization team, whoever they are, are not providing it.  The video is just one example of alleged many, and to link that to my previous anti-censorship "rants" people who are in charge of moral things tend not to be the best people to leave in charge of altering a script.  

---And Muss, I can very easily argue it was in fact a form of censorship.  The two characters are talking about how many people they have killed as part of their jobs, and the things that might have done to their morals.  Its subject matter if one is turning the script kiddy is a very obvious thing to chop out.

---Lastly and somewhat unrelated yet related, I'm anti-censorship because you cannot be selective for it, nothing more.  If you think it's because I can't oggle people then, well, suffice to say you are very much mistaken.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptySat 5 Mar 2016 - 14:41

Post removed. Not coming back on this thread.

Last edited by Drunkalilly on Sat 5 Mar 2016 - 17:27; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptySat 5 Mar 2016 - 15:07

Drunkalilly wrote:
*bile*

I'm sorry but whoever you are and whatever your feelings, you do not get to post that to a member of the forum.

Please tread carefully.

Last edited by ZeroJones on Sat 5 Mar 2016 - 18:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptySat 5 Mar 2016 - 15:54

Athrun888 wrote:

---And Muss, I can very easily argue it was in fact a form of censorship.  The two characters are talking about how many people they have killed as part of their jobs, and the things that might have done to their morals.  Its subject matter if one is turning the script kiddy is a very obvious thing to chop out.

If you went ahead and imported the JP version of the game, do you think your government would subsequently impound it? Is somebody going to burn it in the streets? Is there a concerted, multinational effort to cleanse the internet of any reference to the JP version of FE outside of Asia?

As I've said, I wouldn't mind one arguing that it's a lazy localisation, but what your clip conveniently omits is that the character's latter interactions do discuss the life of an assassin in the US version. I could, very easily, argue that the video contained a form of "censorship." It deliberately withheld information pertinent to the quality of the localisation by only showing conversation C. That's only 25% of their interactions  Afraid  Afraid  Afraid

I don't, however, because that would be a misuse of the term, censorship.

Although it does make me wonder if there was simply some sort of bug with the U.S. release. It's possible that this will get patched.

Sure, call what Nintendo have published an exercise in "self-censorship," the process of restraining or regulating content, often, but not exclusively, with the purpose of reducing criticism, by the owner of said content. But there is a really important distinction between that and what the term, censorship, actually refers to.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptySat 5 Mar 2016 - 18:17

Muss wrote:
If you went ahead and imported the JP version of the game, do you think your government would subsequently impound it? Is somebody going to burn it in the streets? Is there a concerted, multinational effort to cleanse the internet of any reference to the JP version of FE outside of Asia?

As I've said, I wouldn't mind one arguing that it's a lazy localisation, but what your clip conveniently omits is that the character's latter interactions do discuss the life of an assassin in the US version. I could, very easily, argue that the video contained a form of "censorship." It deliberately withheld information pertinent to the quality of the localisation by only showing conversation C. That's only 25% of their interactions  Afraid  Afraid  Afraid

I don't, however, because that would be a misuse of the term, censorship.

Although it does make me wonder if there was simply some sort of bug with the U.S. release. It's possible that this will get patched.

Sure, call what Nintendo have published an exercise in "self-censorship," the process of restraining or regulating content, often, but not exclusively, with the purpose of reducing criticism, by the owner of said content. But there is a really important distinction between that and what the term, censorship, actually refers to.

To be fair 25 percent is pretty big when we're only dealing with four, less if you pair one of them up with someone else romantically!  Hopefully you're right that it's a bug and that it all ends up just being my paranoia at play.

On a lighter(?) note your first point made me wonder something, before the internet all we ever knew about were localizations, and it made me remember the nostalgia I had for things like the old Digimon dub as a kid.  made me wonder if despite what I've been saying the world would be a more enjoyable place with less information in it.  

After all, if we didn't know, if nobody knew, about the alterations done to games, would we actually care?  I'm not so sure.  Bit of a tangent but it's food for thought!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptySat 5 Mar 2016 - 22:44

This is all very interesting. After watching that video, I don't see the issue with that being in still unlike the whole gay character stuff which to me should be cut.

I'm sort in both camps the game should be localized better that scenes don't get cut but things like the gay stuff do get cut due to likely causing offense but you argue it shouldn't been in the game in the first place.

The thing is I played awakening which may have has stuff cut due to localization but I still enjoyed the gameplay, characters and story. If Fates is on par with that then I don't see the issue.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyThu 24 Mar 2016 - 12:42

UK version went up and down pretty quickly, but can be preordered on the irish version and they seem happy to ship to UK:
https://www.gamestop.ie/Nintendo%203DS/Games/57854/fire-emblem-fates-special-edition

I'll probably still keep my eye on a UK copy but I need something in place for now...
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyThu 24 Mar 2016 - 12:50

Won't be any difference as it's got the USK rating on for a start for Germany, that anywhere in Europe will be the same.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyThu 24 Mar 2016 - 12:51

I was thinking more to avoid any import issues/currency fees.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyThu 24 Mar 2016 - 19:36

More likely cheaper from mainland Europe, and shouldn't be import issues.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyThu 24 Mar 2016 - 22:04

It's out of stock everywhere I've checked. Gutted. Aww!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyFri 25 Mar 2016 - 17:19

I'm yet to see it go up anywhere like Nintendo UK & GAME for instance.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyFri 1 Apr 2016 - 16:22

Go, go, go! http://store.nintendo.co.uk/games/nintendo-3ds/fire-emblem-fates/limited-edition-game.list?widget_id=216696
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptySat 2 Apr 2016 - 10:12

I'm waiting to get my £5 voucher from GAME and then I'll order it from them.

It's cheaper then I thought as in the states you save basically no money.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 EmptyMon 16 May 2016 - 9:45

Aye it's five days to go!  At LAST!  Dance   We've had wars so epic and heated they put the greatest clashes of Fire Emblem to shame in their epic scale, we've had desertions and eras come and go, and here we are at the end of the line and the beginning of the next one! 

It's about time we had the oldest question, the question that must never be answered, hidden in plain sight, asked!

What version we all going for?

Naturally I'm siding with Nohr, gotta teach them there Hoshidans whose in charge!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!   Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE! - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fire Emblem: Fates - CHOOSE A SIDE!
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next